How will this run on my Mac Pro?

Donut9

Chieftain
Topic.

Specs are quad 2.66 GHz, 4 GB of RAM and a Radeon x1900xt card. It is the video card I am most worried about. Will it run ok?

Nevermind. After some more looking into it, I am standing firm in my stance that this game is a failure. Civ 4 it is.

Aspyr really needs to put out a demo so people can personally check performance.

My iMac is below your spec, and I'm satisfied with the game.. I just have to turn off 90% of the eye candy. But there's a lot to like about the Civ V gameplay that is different from IV.

Topic.

Specs are quad 2.66 GHz, 4 GB of RAM and a Radeon x1900xt card. It is the video card I am most worried about. Will it run ok?

I have the same machine but I dropped an ATI Radeon 5770 in it and the game runs pretty well.

I can second gfeier's comment, that the ATI Radeon 5770 really improves performance on a first gen Mac Pro.

Of course, CiV should not be the only reason to upgrade your card. I feel a Mac Pro, essentially a workstation, should have a useful lifespan of 5-6 years before being retired to data storage/networking duties. The 5770 should stave off obsolescence for at least another year or two. I hope anyway...

I can second gfeier's comment, that the ATI Radeon 5770 really improves performance on a first gen Mac Pro.

Of course, CiV should not be the only reason to upgrade your card. I feel a Mac Pro, essentially a workstation, should have a useful lifespan of 5-6 years before being retired to data storage/networking duties. The 5770 should stave off obsolescence for at least another year or two. I hope anyway...

After seeing the results of the upgrade, I'm expecting another two years. My machine just doesn't feel like it's almost 4-1/2 years old.

After seeing the results of the upgrade, I'm expecting another two years. My machine just doesn't feel like it's almost 4-1/2 years old.

Isn't that part of why you buy a Mac, that it still works well after 3 years?

Isn't that part of why you buy a Mac, that it still works well after 3 years?

I seem to get about 6 years of front line service out of mine (except for the one that died after 4-1/2 years which was 3-1/2 years after it was hit by lightning :D).

Yeah, I currently have an almost 2-year-old Mac Pro. One of the first i7 models with the server-class quad-core in it and a 4870 ATI vid card.

It works as well as the brand new iMac I bought my daughters. Does not feel 2 years old at all.

Topic.

You can put a 5770 in that machine. I did it. Its a worthwhile upgrade anyway the x1900 is a terrible card.:D

Funny, my deskyop PC is over 4 years old and runs like a champ, except for the upgrade to an 8800gt 2 yrs ago. My mac book pro is over 2 years old, and has had to go in for repairs 4 times for complete hardware failures.

Funny, my deskyop PC is over 4 years old and runs like a champ, except for the upgrade to an 8800gt 2 yrs ago. My mac book pro is over 2 years old, and has had to go in for repairs 4 times for complete hardware failures.

I have an original MacPro 2.66 GHz dual 'Woodcrest' Xeon dual CPUs. It came with the nVidia 7300gt GPU, basic memory and disk. I've pimped it up to four hard drives, 8 GByte of RAM and an nVidia 8800gt GPU and it performs beautifully. No hardware failures so far, in 5 years.

I have a 2009 MacBookPro 13" and it, too, is fault free.

My daughter has a 15" MacBookPro. It's at least four years old. It suffered a known graphics chip failure a year ago, and was fixed by a local Apple shop at zero cost under an extended warranty for that specific issue. No other problems.

My iPhone 3G is 2.5 years old and is also trouble free.

But the plural of anecdote is not data :)

This is what I have with a 5770. Never had a problem with any mac since my Mac Plus. :)

MacPro2,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 8 MB
Memory: 21 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Top Bottom