Hurricanes, Typhoons & Cyclones, oh my!

As it came ashore, Michael was just shy of a Category 5 -- defined as a storm packing wind speeds of 157 mph or above.

One report predicted this would be the worst hurricane to ever hit Florida. It's hard to imagine anything worse than Hurricane Andrew.

Andrew was very intense but it was quite small, and IIRC fast-moving as well. Michael at least is moving fairly fast and won't sit dumping rain like Florence did. But it is affecting a much larger area than Andrew did.

As it came ashore, Michael was just shy of a Category 5 -- defined as a storm packing wind speeds of 157 mph or above.

One report predicted this would be the worst hurricane to ever hit Florida. It's hard to imagine anything worse than Hurricane Andrew.

Worst by what metric? Florida has seen plenty of category 4 and 5 hurricanes unfortunately. In terms of sheer intensity Michael is nasty, but not tops. In terms of damage maybe, though that depends on a lot of factors and Andrew was really devastating.

Charley is a reminder these should never be taken lightly, they can intensify very fast. That was going to be a mostly-nuisance low tier hurricane IIRC, until it wasn't. It instead intensified to category 4 in < 2 days despite turning towards land sooner than expected.

Worst by what metric? Florida has seen plenty of category 4 and 5 hurricanes unfortunately. In terms of sheer intensity Michael is nasty, but not tops. In terms of damage maybe, though that depends on a lot of factors and Andrew was really devastating.

I guess by dollar value of damage?

I guess by dollar value of damage?

Might be, but that's a heck of thing to try to estimate in advance with how many uncertain factors it has (exact intensity, precise landfall spot, how many tornadoes spawn, etc). Let's hope it turns out not to be the case.

Michael was unusual in that it remain'd strong pretty far inland. My dad lost power because of it, and he lives in Chapel Hill, NC. Many trees fell in North Carolina after the storm had been over land for a day.

A friend of mine who lives a little south of Richmond had a few downed trees in her area yesterday afternoon. The remnants of the storm passed directly over DC and we had several hours of wind, thunder and rain. I don't believe there were any power outages in my area, but my internet did go down for several hours yesterday in what I think was probably a coincidence.

Storm Callum was striking parts of the UK on Friday morning with gale force winds of up to 76 mph (120 kph) and torrential rain, leaving thousands of people without power across Ireland and the British Isles.
Around 30,000 homes in Ireland, and 1,000 in Britain, were left without electricity after the storm began to batter the south-west.

Hurricane Willa exploded to Category 5 within 48 hours but is expected to drop in strength somewhat before making landfall on Mexico's west coast on Tuesday. It is being followed by the somewhat weaker Hurricane Vicente which is expected to make landfall 250 miles to the south.

Hurricane Willa exploded to Category 5 within 48 hours but is expected to drop in strength somewhat before making landfall on Mexico's west coast on Tuesday. It is being followed by the somewhat weaker Hurricane Vicente which is expected to make landfall 250 miles to the south.

Climate change is already affecting us. It's kind of terrifying to think how much stronger hurricanes might be able to get with SSTs where they'll be in, say, 2050. I'm also worried about the effect of global warming on ocean circulation, as that energy will be moving from the equator to the poles in one way or another and that way may be through immensely more powerful storms.

We are gonna run out of names from the standard lists
With Willa happening, there are only 3 names left for new hurricanes this year.
Schermopname (2051).png

Eastern north Pacific? Didnt Didnt know there was hurricanes there.

Eastern north Pacific? Didnt Didnt know there was hurricanes there.

Me neither.
Most of them make no landfall, and if they do mostly in Mexico.

I saw one projection which has Wilma tracking across Texas, heading across the Gulf to rebuild to hurricane strength, and then coming ashore in Florida about where Michael did. :wallbash:

I saw one projection which has Wilma tracking across Texas, heading across the Gulf to rebuild to hurricane strength, and then coming ashore in Florida about where Michael did. :wallbash:

It looks like most of the models are in pretty good agreement that it will cross Mexico and end up hitting the Gulf coast of the US somewhere, but I tend to doubt it will be able to regain hurricane strength on the way. Hopefully it will just dump rain and not much else.

saw an article claiming a strong Indian monsoon season enhances easterlies that push Atlantic hurricanes westward into the NAmerican landmass

We are gonna run out of names from the standard lists
With Willa happening, there are only 3 names left for new hurricanes this year.
View attachment 506530
consperacy , consperacy ! Georgette was a part of the Kaiserschlacht that went bad for the Germans in WW II , they are claiming we will be dead on the anniversary of our offensive of 1922 .

Top Bottom