Preemtive Hurricane "Frankenstorm" Sandy Thread

Christie is refusing to send rescue workers into areas where evacuations were mandatory. For once I agree with him. Stupid people were stupid, no reason to risk rescue workers lives for them.

Christie is refusing to send rescue workers into areas where evacuations were mandatory. For once I agree with him. Stupid people were stupid, no reason to risk rescue workers lives for them.

It's the only logical alternative to forcing people to leave against their will.

It kind of sucks, its kind of heartless, but you've got to do what you've got to do.

He's right. You don't risk the lives of emergency responders for people who ignored orders to leave.

He's right. You don't risk the lives of emergency responders for people who ignored orders to leave.

I agree. I didn't want to sound heartless about it but its still clearly the right thing to do.

Which makes Mayor Bloomberg's comment of "If you don't evacuate you are endangering the lives of our personel" just a stupid comment. The people who stayed behind did NOT aggress against the lives of any safety personnel. Bloomberg would be endangering them by sending safety personnel out. Thus any deaths would be on the mayor's head, not the people who didn't evacuate.

This storm will be in perfect time to ruin Halloween in Michigan! :evil:

USA #1! :p

That's going to be really expensive repairing the flooded subway tunnels. Plus, all that saltwater can't be good on the electric systems for the trains.

As far as I know, that's actually standard operating procedure for active disaster zones and mandatory evacuations, it's not just Christie making it up on the spot.

That's going to be really expensive repairing the flooded subway tunnels. Plus, all that saltwater can't be good on the electric systems for the trains.

Just heard a press conference with one of the MTA officials. He said that none of the buses or train cars were damaged - that's the good news. The bad news is that every single tunnel between Manhattan and Brooklyn & Queens flooded. That's something like 9 tunnels :eek:

The vehicle tunnels are relatively simple: a paved tube, overhead there's lighting and ventilation. As long as the water didn't reach that high, those tunnels with be able to be restored relatively quickly. Of course, relatively still means days, not hours.

The train tunnels, on the other hand, have embedded hydraulics, pneumatics, electronics, and mechanicals. Those tunnels are also very old - from over 100 years to 75 years.

Also, all bridges are still closed, with the exception of the Triboro. Not sure why that one remained open, perhaps because it has relatively short spans and links LI to Manhattan and the mainland? :dunno:

I can only hope that this is a climate change wake up call. Bloomberg's long term plan (NYC2020, I think it's called) incorporates some sea level rise and coastal protection plans, but hopefully storm surge and subway entrance bulkheads will also be incorporated.

All roads are closed in western Suffolk County (not sure if GW16's town qualifies for western or eastern...), but I was just driving around western Queens and the roads are pretty much fine. My old neighborhood - Hunter's Point - had extensive flooding. Here's a photo taken about an hour ago - high tide was two hours ago. The sea level you see here is about 4' above normal. Last night at high tide the water was about 3' above my head - so that's about 14-16' higher than in the photo.

Attachments

• GantryPark.jpg
    GantryPark.jpg
    501.5 KB · Views: 55
We've gotten maybe two inches of rain here. I dunno how that scared the administration into cancelling two days of classes.
The alarmist media is funny. I live in Arlington and it was nothing. FOX news sent a reporter to stand in front of a house that had a tree fallen on it and she went on and on talking about the devastation it caused this area. I actually forgot the storm happened at all since I didn't even lose power. My lights didn't even flicker. They actually canceled almost all government agencies, except ones involved in emergencies and distaster relief, for two days. Given that, it's not surprising they'd shut down a school for a few days. I take it you go to UVA?

The alarmist media is funny. I live in Arlington and it was nothing. FOX news sent a reporter to stand in front of a house that had a tree fallen on it and she went on and on talking about the devastation it caused this area. I actually forgot the storm happened at all since I didn't even lose power. My lights didn't even flicker. They actually canceled almost all government agencies, except ones involved in emergencies and distaster relief, for two days. Given that, it's not surprising they'd shut down a school for a few days. I take it you go to UVA?

Ya.

My apartment did lose power for about twenty seconds but I'm sure it's because of the shoddy wiring around the university. The derecho over the summer was much, much worse.

The derecho over the summer was much, much worse.

I actually forgot that even happened until just now.

Yeah, that sucked. I recall the lightning flashes occurring every seconds and my power actually went out. Plus it was extremely hot and my airconditioner was broken for several days afterwards. Definitely a bigger deal to people in VA and DC area than the hurricane was.

I actually forgot that even happened until just now.

Yeah, that sucked. I recall the lightning flashes occurring every seconds and my power actually went out. Plus it was extremely hot and my airconditioner was broken for several days afterwards. Definitely a bigger deal to people in VA and DC area than the hurricane was.

A buddy of mine was out of an AC for a week.

Out of AC. First world problems.

Top Bottom