Ideological Dissatsfaction and City Flipping Details

I'm surprised this isn't a tenet for Order or Autocracy. Using military force to quell dissension tends to backfire in free nations, what with the press making sure everyone knows about what you're doing and how awful it is.

I could be mistaken on this but I think that the bonus happiness for the different building types tenets that each ideology has is meant to simulate this.

which indicates that you can deal with the problem, like changing your ideology. But that then leaves the question of what happens if you don't.

One option if you do not change your ideology and/or buildings, units etc. is that your ideology gets changed for you.

Presumably, if you do change your ideology you will lose the benefits from the tenets you had, and have to build a new set of tenets.

One option if you do not change your ideology and/or buildings, units etc. is that your ideology gets changed for you.

In the interview changing ideologies is really presented as a choice for the player.

It’s important to keep an eye on what your neighbors are doing, though, as a rival with high tourism and a different set of ideologies could cause cities to flip. Unlike in the past, players can defend against traitorous metropolises by succumbing to the will of the people. Civilization IV was the last time that cities could be “culture flipped,” but unlike with that title, the ideology system provides a way for leaders to react. In the past, there wasn’t much that could be done to avoid cities leaving.

The next question regards to what is the effect of a poor Public Opinion setting. As suggested, it could result in unhappiness, poor or no production, the appearance of rebels or barbarians, etc.

Remember the mysterious barbarian axeman unit that appeared in a screenshot a while ago? Could this be a disgruntled UU from an as yet unannounced civ that has defected and essentially joined the barbarians?

Remember the mysterious barbarian axeman unit that appeared in a screenshot a while ago? Could this be a disgruntled UU from an as yet unannounced civ that has defected and essentially joined the barbarians?
Hmmm.. That's actually quite an interesting line of thought :)

The screenshot showed classical era. Too early.

Speculation on how city flipping may work:

Each city in your empire has a 'revolution rating' for each civ that has a different Ideology from you
Revolution rating would be

(That civ's Tourism Influence over you) x Unique connections between this city and that civ (original ownership, shared religion, trade routes, adjacent territory)

Each city would use its highest 'revolution rating' to determine
1. how likely it is to 'revolt'
2. who it revolts to

So if you are in a Revolutionary Wave situation...( Overall happiness< -20 and there is Public Opinion in favor of other Ideologies)

1. Every turn one of your cities has a "Revolution" [highest 'revolutionary ratings' not currently in resistance go first]
...Notification= A French Order Revolution is Taking place in New York !!!
This puts the city into Resistance for ?5? turns

2. If you switch to that Ideology, the Revolution stops

3. If you get out of "Revolutionary Wave", the Revolutions stop

4. When the counter reaches 0, if you are at war with the Civ the cities want to join, then the city goes back into "Revolution" and the enemy civ gains ?? Foreign Legion units next to the city

5. if you are at peace with the other civ when the counter reaches 0, your troops are expelled and you hand over the city (like in a peace deal)

I got that Tourism enables one to win the game by the new cultural victory but I looked around and couldn't find the actual utility of having a cultural influence on other civs yet.

I mean, throughout the completion of the scientific victory, you get new stuff as you discover new technologies. In the last cultural victory, you got SPs when trying to complete it. When you want to achieve the military one, you get new cities. So what would being culturally influential on a couple of civs give you ?

In extreme cases, cities flipping to your side. But for a normal situation, I don't really know if it gives you much.

There are several threads on this topic already. Please use any existing one.

Moderator Action: Point one out and report the thread to be merged, that's more effective than giving such advice!

Getting tourism also generally provides culture, maximising tourism seems to require maximising culture, so you'll still be getting your SPs. Plus there's the ideological pressure stuff once ideologies come in. Wasn't there a whole thread on this?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=496196
Moderator Action: Threads merged.

Is the thread to look at.

Tourism bonus: appears at levels below Influential. ( The win level)
Unhappiness and potential City Flipping in civs of different Ideologies

Tourism Side Effect
More Culture (main methods of increasing tourism increase culture as well)
Great Works and Artifacts
Only a few things increase tourism alone (Hotels, G Musician Concerts, some Ideology tenets)
(Possibly Theming bonuses)

Thanks. I'm sorry to have started a thread just for that, I'm new here and I could't find some thread search engine. *edit* Ok I just located it

I imagine we've got few details on city flipping for similar reasons that we've got few details on new resources. A new civ may be tied to the mechanic.

That's one of the "hypercube" options I've been toying with, a Venice that can flip cities before ideologies via trade routes.

I imagine we've got few details on city flipping for similar reasons that we've got few details on new resources. A new civ may be tied to the mechanic.

That is possible...
UA: X civ, even when it does Not have an Ideology, Causes Public dissatisfaction in other civs, even if those civs do not have an Ideology

[I can't think of what that civ that might be though... possibly a Native American civ that peacefully united its neighbors]

The best I could think of for a Native American civ that could take advantage of foreign influence is one of the Five Civilized Tribes; the Cherokee are the most famous of them and they're already eliminated but the Seminole are a possibility.

Of course this could also work for a reworked Japan...

The best I could think of for a Native American civ that could take advantage of foreign influence is one of the Five Civilized Tribes; the Cherokee are the most famous of them and they're already eliminated but the Seminole are a possibility.

Of course this could also work for a reworked Japan...

Perhaps:
Convert 30% of Tourism from other civs into culture, Gain 5x Science from Trade routes.

Top Bottom