Impi and the mysterious Axeman

Haig

Deity
Remember the tomahawk-wielding barbarian axeman from some early screenshots?

Now we are getting the Zulu Impi who makes a ranged attack before charging to melee.
Impi has been reported as a pikeman replacement, but what if there's a new "assault" line of units that make a ranged attack before charging?

Tomahawks were thrown weapons also used in hand-to-hand.

A line of new units could be like: Javelin thrower - Axe thrower - Grenadier (napoleonic era style) - Flamethrower (modern) etc. etc.

What speaks against this theory is that impi is reported being a pikeman replacement. Could be an error though, and if it's only an impi promotion, I think that would be cool too and no problems with that.

But the mysterious axeman just gives me some doubt.. :eek:

I think the fact that it's reported as a Pikeman from one of the more reliable-sounding sources casts a lot of doubt on this theory.

I know you like your theory, but you alone cast enough doubt on it to make it unlikely without anyone else having to post :p

Guess you're right Louis XIV, it's just the strange tomahawk dude that bugs me, oh well..! :D

I'm surprised there hasn't been more info about that. One of the recent videos showed the Portuguese attacking a Barbarian camp and I expected to see the unit again, but it wasn't there.

Here's my question: why cant the axeman just be a new barbarian unit? is that so hard to believe? i know speculation is fun, but all these axeman theories are getting a little out of hand.

I agree that the ranged then melee ability is interesting enough to be encountered more than just fighting the Zulu. There SHOULD be a line of units that fight like this...SHOULD...

I agree that the ranged then melee ability is interesting enough to be encountered more than just fighting the Zulu. There SHOULD be a line of units that fight like this...SHOULD...

Considering the number of historical units that actually did fight like this I agree. Would like to see units like the Roman Legion get this ability too.

We have a thread called "sources for info." It was one of the recent videos, iirc.

Here's my question: why cant the axeman just be a new barbarian unit? is that so hard to believe? i know speculation is fun, but all these axeman theories are getting a little out of hand.

A full line of units for barbarians would be super very sweet too, now they have Galley and Brute, but.. WHAT IF.. :)

Considering the number of historical units that actually did fight like this I agree. Would like to see units like the Roman Legion get this ability too.

I would can't help but wonder why fully-armed awesome-shielded Legion is weaker than tribal super-spearman. :crazyeye:

It could be a meme if it is that case.

Having the Impi as a pikeman replacement is way better than as a spearman replacement, and together with their building (promotions against gun units are something I've been toying around with for quite some time now) they debunk the "Zulu will be made carelessly" theory.

The Hakkapeliitta (and most cavalry of the period really) also fought like this, firing their pistols as they charged the enemy. Remember being disappointed the unit in the game didnt reflect this, its even described as 'ranged then melee' in its civlopedia entry :) hmm, I wonder if the pistol armed cavalry from the civil war scenario will get a promotion like this.

Tons of military units engage at range first then melee. That's why bayonets are on muskets. It just happens to be unique to the Impi in this game. Hell, the Tercios have guys with guns and pikes. They engage at range and melee simultaneously, they just don't do damage twice.

Interesting discussion this.. I like the idea, but maybe they will be considered too strong to be implemented in this game.

Why make it that hard? Occums razor suggests it just be a new regular unit anyone can build. No big game change, though I like the thought of something else... Probably just an axeman to be honorst, but it does indeed look like a tomahawk..

I'm just thinking will the copper become a strategic resource? I mean the axeman use copper to mold his weapon, right?:lol:

Not necessarily. In fact, copper is a pretty crappy metal. Bronze, yes, but that would mean Spears should also require Copper, which doesn't fit the Civ5 balance. After all, axes can be made with stone, obsidian, copper, bronze, and iron.

Remember the tomahawk-wielding barbarian axeman from some early screenshots?

Now we are getting the Zulu Impi who makes a ranged attack before charging to melee.
Impi has been reported as a pikeman replacement, but what if there's a new "assault" line of units that make a ranged attack before charging?

Tomahawks were thrown weapons also used in hand-to-hand.

A line of new units could be like: Javelin thrower - Axe thrower - Grenadier (napoleonic era style) - Flamethrower (modern) etc. etc.

What speaks against this theory is that impi is reported being a pikeman replacement. Could be an error though, and if it's only an impi promotion, I think that would be cool too and no problems with that.

But the mysterious axeman just gives me some doubt.. :eek:

It looks like a regular axe, not a necessarily a tomahawk.

Top Bottom