In your opinion, what City State should replace Seoul?

Thormodr

Servant of Civ
Supporter
When the Korea DLC comes out, the game will very likely remove Seoul from the City State list. Therefore, they would need a replacement, I would think. So, I'd like to discuss the possible choices.

I think Jakarta would be one idea. It has an interesting culture and language with a great deal of ethnic diversity.

As the economic and political capital of Indonesia, Jakarta attracts many domestic immigrants who bring their various languages, dialects, foods and customs.
The Golden Snail (Keong Emas), established in 1970s during New Order era, is an IMAX theater located in Taman Mini Indonesia Indah, East Jakarta.

The Betawi (Orang Betawi, or "people of Batavia") is a term used to describe the descendants of the people living in and around Batavia and recognized as an ethnic group from around the 18th–19th century. The Betawi people are mostly descended from various Southeast Asian ethnic groups brought or attracted to Batavia to meet labor needs, and include people from different parts of Indonesia.[55] The language and Betawi culture are distinct from those of the Sundanese or Javanese. The language is mostly based on the East Malay dialect and enriched by loan words from Dutch, Portuguese, Sundanese, Javanese, Chinese, and Arabic. Nowadays, the Jakarta dialect (Bahasa Jakarta) used as a street language by people in Jakarta is loosely based on the Betawi language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakarta

Colombo (Former capital of Sri Lanka) would be another. It's an old city that has great ethnic diversity, an interesting culture and a great mix of interesting architectural styles.

Colombo has wildly varying architecture that span centuries and depict various styles. Many colonial buildings influenced by the Portuguese, Dutch and British exist alongside structures built in Buddhist, Hindu, Islamic, Indian and Contemporary architectural styles. No other place is this more evident in the heart of the city the Fort area. Here one may find new towering skyscrapers as well as historic buildings dating far back as the 1700s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colombo

Anyway, I'd like to hear your opinions on the matter. :)

For reference, this thread has a city list for all the civilizations. (Post #4)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=420832

Hong Kong perhaps

It's certainly played it's part in history and is one of the most influencial financial centers of the world. It's also had it's fair share of conflict, although largely diplomatic, relating to its control. More over, where better for a battle of cultural influence than the bridge between capitalism and communism in the modern world!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong

Colombo is a nice option, jakarta on the other hand was founded by the dutch as batavia city so i think it wouldnt be the best option.
My choice would be Amsterdam as a new CS. I would like to see the dutch back in civ(im dutch and thats one of my main arguments) and i think Amsterdam as a cultural city state would be nice. It was a place of great culture with painters like van gogh, rembrand and vermeer.

I should probably re post from the other thread -

I think that these would all be interesting choices

Jerusalem (It's silly that they're not in)
Kabul (to have more central asian cs's)
Kinshasa (to have something in the kongo area - also it's a huge city, something like 8 million people)
Lagos
Carthage (if it isn't to be added)
Buenos Aires (If Sydney, Rio De Janeiro and Quebec City can be in...)
Jakarta (if it's not to be included as majapahit civ etc)
Milan (though we already have a lot of italian city states)

Colombo is a nice option, jakarta on the other hand was founded by the dutch as batavia city so i think it wouldnt be the best option.
My choice would be Amsterdam as a new CS. I would like to see the dutch back in civ(im dutch and thats one of my main arguments) and i think Amsterdam as a cultural city state would be nice. It was a place of great culture with painters like van gogh, rembrand and vermeer.

Jakarta wasn't founded by the Dutch as much as used as their colonial capital.

Jakarta (English pronunciation: /dʒəˈkɑrtə/[5] Indonesian: Ltspkr.png Jakarta formerly Batavia and officially the Special Capital Territory of Jakarta), is the capital and largest city of Indonesia. Located on the northwest coast of Java, it has an area of 661 square kilometres (255 sq mi) and a 2010 census count population of 9,580,000.[4] Jakarta is the country's economic, cultural and political centre. It is the most populous city in Indonesia and in Southeast Asia, and is the tenth-largest city in the world. The urban area, Jabodetabek, is the second largest in the world. Jakarta is listed as a global city in the 2008 Globalization and World Cities Study Group and Network (GaWC) research.[6]

Established in the fourth century, the city became an important trading port for the Kingdom of Sunda. It was the de facto capital of the Dutch East Indies and continued being the capital city of Indonesia, after its independence in 1945.
The site which nowadays is referred to as Jakarta, has been home to multiple settlements along with their respective names: Sunda Kelapa (397–1527), Jayakarta (1527–1619), Batavia (1619–1942), and Djakarta (1942–1972).

Its current name is derived from the word "Jayakarta". The origins of this word lie in the Old Javanese language and ultimately in Sanskrit. "Jayakarta" translates as "victorious deed", "complete act", or "complete victory".

Jakarta is nicknamed Big Durian, because the city is seen as the Indonesian equivalent of New York City (the Big Apple).[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakarta

Amsterdam would be an excellent choice. I assume they'll have a Dutch Civ at some point though.

The only Thing I know is they won't replace Seoul with a European city state . there are many options and replacing it with a city-state of American Continent would be a good choice . that's why I voted either Kingston or Buenos Aires .

Thormodr, i didnt knew and honestly thought is was a small village before dutch traders came, so im sorry for my incorrectness and thanks for knowing.

what about Kashgar?

Thormodr, i didnt knew and honestly thought is was a small village before dutch traders came, so im sorry for my incorrectness and thanks for knowing.

It's all good. I honestly had thought the same until I looked it up myself. :)

Here's some more information on the subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Jakarta

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cahokia is a very good suggestion as well. A little more Native American presence in the game would be nice. :)

I would guess that the best trait for Cahokia would likely be agricultural. (Maritime) Cultural might work as well.

Top Bottom