Indian review

civoholic

Warlord
India is probubly the hardest civ i have reviewed

India get access to all resources, which HUGE
if the right player has India in his hands, he will use that bonus to the fullest extint. the bonus is really good if you put settlers on islands.

Next one is cities not affected by annarchy, which is not big, but you'll use that bonus probubly at least once in the match

Knowledge of Religion, is nice bonus for domination so they stay in the game military wise

Construct settlers at half price, doesn't matter that much late in the game, if it was in medieval, it would matter alot more

Construct courthouse at half price, very good bonus if your on an island

stategy: make lots of settlers, put them on islands. turtle

If used right, India could be a great civ, but for new players, its a little chalenging to play as them

Rating: 7.5 out of 10

India is probubly the hardest civ i have reviewed

India get access to all resources, which HUGE
if the right player has India in his hands, he will use that bonus to the fullest extint. the bonus is really good if you put settlers on islands.

This is awesome at getting an advantage in the early game. India is the only civ that is able to make good use of resources such as uranium and aluminum. The fact that they can use dye AND whale from the start is great too :)

Next one is cities not affected by annarchy, which is not big, but you'll use that bonus probubly at least once in the match

I think this bonus is awesome. You could swap between governments every other turn without having to worry about the drawbacks. "probably once in each match"? Not if you're indian! You should try and abuse all governments all along, swapping often.

Knowledge of Religion, is nice bonus for domination so they stay in the game military wise

Another HUGE bonus! I can't say how often I've managed to "rush" other civs as soon as I get to the medieval age. With some planning, you'll have a whole army ready as soon as this happens, and then just attack. On deity, you should be able to conquer a couple of civs at this point.

Construct settlers at half price, doesn't matter that much late in the game, if it was in medieval, it would matter alot more

With the new settler patch this gets a little worse, but still it is great for focusing most of your population on those "best" cities.

Construct courthouse at half price, very good bonus if your on an island

stategy: make lots of settlers, put them on islands. turtle

If used right, India could be a great civ, but for new players, its a little chalenging to play as them

Rating: 7.5 out of 10

You'll certainly want courthouses in those large cities of yours. And I almost never turtle with India...

9/10

So you did, I should've double checked before posting, but if 6.5 is okay i would give them at leastan 8.5

It might be a good idea to mention that India gets one extra asset from the resources per era until the resource is unlocked through technology. For example, a whale will give one extra food in the ancient era, two in the medieval era and so on.

You also left out one very good thing about India: They start out with a resource in one of the eight regions surrounding the start location. Six of the surrounding regions are guaranteed to be either grassland, forest, or sea. The other two are randomized. This makes it very likely that the player will get a tile that generates three assets giving a good boost in the early game. If the player is unlucky the resource is placed on a region that normally generates one asset (e.g. hills) which will make it a two asset region at the start of the game.

I've seen people talking about turtles a lot on these forums. What exactly are they talking about?

They are talking about playing defensively, not taking risks, building while having being safe. Take Greeks for example. They have a courthouse, able to take advantage of many resources around them. They also start with hoplites, ancient era pikemen, so they also have a wonderful defense. Now all they have to do is turtle, slowly but surely advancing forward.

Ah, I see. Slow and steady wins the race sort of thing. That's my favorite way of playing, I don't like going to war that much. It's hard to avoid in this game though!

I played with the Indians last night on King and won a cultural victory. I have to agree with the OP as to the Indians versatility. With the ability to use all resources they are perfect for any win condition. Free religion is a hedge against cultural takeover by the French. Production gets going fast allowing for a fairly early domination push coupled with a quick progression to feudalism to produce knights. 1/2 price settlers w/republic allows for sudden expansion. They can tech up quickly and under a democracy they can rise fast through the tech tree. Economic is probably their weakest win condition but they make up for it with fast production that gets up those markets and banks quickly. They start a little on the slow side but they progress exponentially.

I really like this civ.

Thanks for these reviews, I'm a noob and these help in formulating plans before starting up a match.

Thanks for these reviews, I'm a noob and these help in formulating plans before starting up a match.

Really? Because his reviews are terrible, although some of the discussion they help generate is pretty good sometimes.

Really? Because his reviews are terrible, although some of the discussion they help generate is pretty good sometimes.

Still you gotta give him credit for posting what he knows, even if it isn't perfect. Plus the discussion generally clears everything up, so the topics overall are helpful

tell me why

My problem with India is that I keep restarting over and over until I get an awesome starting position - dye is a must.

Ok, that could be a problem with me, but still :) India's antiquity bonus usefulness is very, very dependent on your starting position.

My problem with India is that I keep restarting over and over until I get an awesome starting position - dye is a must.

Ok, that could be a problem with me, but still :) India's antiquity bonus usefulness is very, very dependent on your starting position.

Well, yes and no. You just may have to move your settlers for 2-3 turns to get to a decent spot. Or just go after barbs until you get free settlers and find a better place for production.

Still you gotta give him credit for posting what he knows, even if it isn't perfect. Plus the discussion generally clears everything up, so the topics overall are helpful

Good point.

I somehow dislike india, because there are alot of other civs that i like more. But India can be really good.

I can see India as a major powerhouse in a game. They should be able to pump out a fair amount of extra cities in the industrial age and start on a late game mega city. Couple this with the half price courthouses and you should have more cities with more effective tile usage as well. I find that their knowledge of Religion is their worst power but it can be useful with no anarchy.

Personally I like civaholics ...review short and sweet.
Anyways I just won a cultural victory with the Indians...only becuase thats what I chose to do, at that point I could have gone any way I wanted. I boxed in the Zulu early so they only had the one city, my catupult army took them over soon. Early access to all resources is HUGE. I think any placement is going to have some type of resource near it, perhaps not your first city, but definitely MOST subsequent cities. This ability allowed me to grow like crazy, research like crazy, and build like crazy. I think the other key is to make sure you get those settlers out when they are half price send them to some nearby islands and then chose your victory type. And don't trade away Religion when you get it. Thats your edge. For me I chose cultural, so I built as many wonders as I could, and grew my cities with granaries, and aquaducts, and such. I also stole a couple GP. I was pleasantly surprised with their versatility, this was on Emperor difficulty. 8 out of 10 here.

Top Bottom