Indiana Jones Quote?

An Indiana Jones quote for the Petra? Really? :lol: The bonus upon discovering archaeology is obviously related.

An Indiana Jones quote for the Petra? Really? :lol: The bonus upon discovering archaeology is obviously related.

Petra was used in Indiana Jones because it was an iconic archaeological site, not vice versa. Due to its location, the fact that it was by then well-known, and no doubt because it's the most impressive Classical archaeological site close to Europe (all the moreso in a time when excavation work was in its infancy - Petra's most iconic sites, including the Treasury, are for the most part naturally well-preserved rather than restored), Petra was one of the key sites in 19th Century archaeological tourism. So a culture bonus upon discovering archaeology makes sense.

I think the point was more along the lines of "Why an Indiana Jones quote?" than "Why is Petra a wonder," which seems to be the question you're answering.

On topic: in a game full of pretty :rolleyes: decisions, this one does manage to stand out.

Civilization has always had an element of tongue in cheek. It's a good quote and an amusing reference. I'm just glad the Petra is in the game.

I think the point was more along the lines of "Why an Indiana Jones quote?" than "Why is Petra a wonder," which seems to be the question you're answering.

On topic: in a game full of pretty :rolleyes: decisions, this one does manage to stand out.

I'm referring to the culture bonus with Archaeology specifically - which makes a lot of sense for a site which played a major role in developing European appreciation for ancient monuments following the development of archaeology as a discipline. So no, that part of the effect has nothing to do with Indiana Jones.

The "why is it a Wonder?" question only requires a two word answer: Visit it.

For me the stricking thing about discovering Archaeology is the picture that goes with it. Clearly it belongs to some other technology, like Paleontology.

For me the stricking thing about discovering Archaeology is the picture that goes with it. Clearly it belongs to some other technology, like Paleontology.

Why Paleontology? Petra isn't a fossil...

What annoys me about the picture is its inaccuracy. It may have been needed to make the image wide enough for the standard Wonder image window, but the exit of the Siq is nowhere close to that broad, and you can't see that much of the Treasury through it.

Spoiler :

As for the quote, this is the first thing you see when entering the Petra site:

Spoiler :

Sad but true.

I did not mean the picture of Petra, but the picture of the Archeaology tech. It does show a fossil:

This is a blurb from Wikipedia on archaeology.
Archaeology, or archeology[1] (from Greek ἀρχαιολογία, archaiologia – ἀρχαῖος, arkhaios, "ancient"; and -λογία, -logia, "-logy[2]"), is the study of human activity in the past, primarily through the recovery and analysis of the material culture and environmental data that they have left behind, which includes artifacts, architecture, biofacts and cultural landscapes (the archaeological record).

It really shouldn't be a picture of a fossil. In fact, the "you lose" screen would be more fitting:

I don't think the icon should be changed, but rather the tech name, seeing as how it leads to biology.

Maybe "Geology"?

Geology isn't a real science!!! :lol:

But geology doesn't deal with fossils either.
And the progression from archaeology to biology is like that because it is a continuation of the human desire to learn more, not because breakthrough in the former lead to understanding of the latter.

Palaeontology grew out of geology, and Darwin was principally a geologist. So Geology makes sense as a precursor to Biology. Archaeology makes sense for museums though (if not the Louvre).

But geology doesn't deal with fossils either.
And the progression from archaeology to biology is like that because it is a continuation of the human desire to learn more, not because breakthrough in the former lead to understanding of the latter.

I received a bachelor's degree in Geology and took four course/lab/field works in Paleontology.

Top Bottom