Inner Sanctum Documentaries

Looks like after a long absense from the board General_W made the news in Washington State:

Ha ha! - wow, that made my day :D

I'm sorta back... as a mostly lurker I'm afraid.
Off to see how the team has fared in my absence.

Merry Christmas everyone! :xmascheers:

P.S. Do I get a prize for most delayed response?

... wow... I've missed a lot here.... :sad:

Dear People of the World,

It is I, General_W of the Ninjas with an important announcement!

…
You know… General_W!
…
The voice of SANCTA. Diplomat emeritus. Creator of the Inner Sanctum Documentaries.
…
Well, they were a series of videos commenting on the news and stuff.
…
Well, I suppose it has been quite a while, but surely you must remember them?
…
No? really? Doesn’t even ring a bell?
…
Ok then… well anyway – I have some news now.
…
Would you let it go?! I’m sorry I’ve been gone so long… just get over it already. Sheesh.

After a long sabbatical, I have returned to find my once glorious team totally eviscerated. Krill is gone. Memphus has been driven out. General_aWol can’t be trusted anywhere near the reigns of power. And the rest of the ninjas? A motley assortment of lurkers, drive-by posters, and semi-actives that can’t play the save. It’s a sad deal.

Already the government is on some sort of horrific night-of-the-undead auto pilot that somehow manages to be both inefficient AND slow. Clearly not a good situation for anyone on any team. Our current operations are unfair to the people on other teams who want a real fight, and also seriously un-fun for those who remember that this is still, afterall, a game.

The best of our bad options seems to be turning over our empire to the AI who can at least get the save played on time and offer an imitation of strategy.
In the interests of full disclosure – we offered all of our cities to team SATURN to do with as they wish. They have been our allies in-game and our sudden departure will move them from the grim situation of 3v2 into the horrifying situation of 3v1. We were trying to find the best way to honor a very close alliance and attempt to leave Saturn with something resembling a sporting chance.
SATURN declined most of our cities, and we have opted, instead, to gift them to team KAZAKSTAN in an effort to keep this game interesting.

We’re letting the rest of you know about our intentions and actions, so that if you’d like to make your arguments to eachother about how the cities get passed out – you can do that. Don’t bother arguing with us about it. Our complaints department is totally understaffed, and I doubt you’ll get much response. I’m pretty sure Automatedteller still reads the notes from the complaints box… but by “reads” I mean “takes them down to the bar to read at the open-mike comedy improv session to a bunch of drunk ninjas” for whatever that’s worth.

We should be completely out of this game in about 2 turns. We’re sorry to do this to all of you.

Really we are. We literally have no good options left – and we sincerely hope that the game goes on to provide many hours of fun and enjoyment for every team left. We’ve had a lot of fun, and are sorry to end on a bum note. Hopefully the sad end of the Ninjas doesn’t totally wipe away the memories of all the good times.

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
“My Name is OzyNinjas, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Might, and despair!”
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Good luck everyone!
Have fun.
:salute:

I enjoyed having you in this game General_W. thanks for making an effort with the ISD, it's been fun to read.

Spoiler :
Inner Sanctum Documentaries

- A presentation of Team SANCTA -
Prepare for super-awesomeness

Now Showing: "Inner Sanctum Documentaries - #2 - The Oracle"
Click HERE to watch!
(link to youtube)

Edit: @civplayah
Spoiler :
I haven't forgotten you, it just didn't work out to put your name in this video. Keep watching though... I'll work it in at some point for your reward :)

In hindsight, it's kind of amusing that even if we didn't get the Oracle, Saturn would've got it ~6-7 turns before Cav, even though we were so sure that Cav were very close to building the Oracle themselves.

In hindsight, it's kind of amusing that even if we didn't get the Oracle, Saturn would've got it ~6-7 turns before Cav, even though we were so sure that Cav were very close to building the Oracle themselves.

That is because you did not know at the time that the mapmaker woud give only one team a second city spot with food copper and 10 chops!

I don't really see how that's relevant to my post.

No one else was close because none else could do what you did with your second city, because noone else has such a site.

However it is true that your dedication on getting Oracle was by far greater than Cav's so propably even if they had such a site you would still get it.

No one else was close because none else could do what you did with your second city, because noone else has such a site.

However it is true that your dedication on getting Oracle was by far greater than Cav's so propably even if they had such a site you would still get it.

But my point was, that had SANCTA chose to ignore the Oracle, Saturn would've beaten Cavs anyway. So, in hindsight, the banter we directed at Cavs was misguided, and what appeared to be Cav feeling that we stole the Oracle from them was actually incorrect.

But my point was, that had SANCTA chose to ignore the Oracle, Saturn would've beaten Cavs anyway. So, in hindsight, the banter we directed at Cavs was misguided, and what appeared to be Cav feeling that we stole the Oracle from them was actually incorrect.

Saturn was 8 turns away from Oracle not 6. So it is not certain that they would beat Cav should you had chosen to ignore it.

Cav were supposed to get the Oracle around t68 IIRC, so Saturn would have had it...

Also, MS could have chopped out the Oracle in 1 turn with a city 23 of the pig.

Cav could have chopped out the Oracle in 1 turn in Serpente, or anywhere north of their capital

Saturn could havbe chopped out the Oracle in 1 turn if they settled 1111 of their capital

Kaz could have done it if you settled the sheep/deer city first instead of the gold city.

It would have been possible for Kaz to settle for horses/cow first and chop out the Oracle in 1 turn. Saturn had horrendous land that meant they would never be a first rate civ anyway, with so little food. Cav could have played the start completely differently and they would have gotten the Oracle. I don't even kow what MS were doing, but anyone could have done it if they didn;t mind the consequences of their actions.

It's the knowledge at the time that guides the decisions, and we didn't know if anyone else was going for such a stunt. Although in hindsight if SANCTA hadn't gotten the Oracle We'd have been completely screwed.

Although, getting Fued from the Oracle is a long shot at the best of times in MP.

Cav were supposed to get the Oracle around t68 IIRC, so Saturn would have had it...

Also, MS could have chopped out the Oracle in 1 turn with a city 23 of the pig.

Cav could have chopped out the Oracle in 1 turn in Serpente, or anywhere north of their capital

Saturn could havbe chopped out the Oracle in 1 turn if they settled 1111 of their capital

Kaz could have done it if you settled the sheep/deer city first instead of the gold city.

It would have been possible for Kaz to settle for horses/cow first and chop out the Oracle in 1 turn. Saturn had horrendous land that meant they would never be a first rate civ anyway, with so little food. Cav could have played the start completely differently and they would have gotten the Oracle. I don't even kow what MS were doing, but anyone could have done it if they didn;t mind the consequences of their actions.

It's the knowledge at the time that guides the decisions, and we didn't know if anyone else was going for such a stunt. Although in hindsight if SANCTA hadn't gotten the Oracle We'd have been completely screwed.

Although, getting Fued from the Oracle is a long shot at the best of times in MP.

You forget Krill that the other teams were not creative. So us for example if we settled the sheep spot we would have had 3 chops available and 0 production (I dought that builds the Oracle in 1 turn).

Cav could have 6 chops, that is 120 hammers, still 30 hammers mising and no production tile was there to make these hammers.

You had copper tile (6 hammers) + 2 hammer pland + the hammer from wheat. That is 9 hammers/per turn copared to 2 hammers per turn that the other teams had. + you were creative so had plenty of chops to use both for overflow + directly into Oracle.

So if the competition of this game was build the Oracle in your second city as fast as possible you would win hands down.

*shrug* You should have considered the power of CRE when picking civs then, not like anyone forced you to not pick it.

So if the competition of this game was build the Oracle in your second city as fast as possible you would win hands down.

Kaz and Cav got second cities out pretty fast, could have easily grown to size 2 once food was hooked, slaved a monument, and prechopped forests for when the borders expanded. That would give enough forests quickly enough to get Oracle, maybe 10 hammers short which an overflow slave from a warrior would cover. Even without optimisation it's doable. Question is, how important was Oracle to every team? You said so yourself higher up and TBHI don;t think any team drastically needed it (and it definitely helped Cav from a metagame position if they lost it).

*shrug* You should have considered the power of CRE when picking civs then, not like anyone forced you to not pick it.

I don't think that Oracle won the game or even that it gave you such a big advantage in any way. Other things decided this game.

It is just that the discussion here is around the Oracle and I am pointing out that what you say is inaccurate and not all other teams could have done the 1 turn Oracle like you did.

That was your discussion with azzaman not me, I'm just illustrating why SANCTA did it that way for the benefit of the readers, nothing more.

OTOH, this comment is therefore wrong:

That was your discussion with azzaman not me, I'm just illustrating why SANCTA did it that way for the benefit of the readers, nothing more.

OTOH, this comment is therefore wrong:

No my statement is not wrong (at least not completely).

The second city site you had was by far the best production site any other team had for a second city.

But it is true that your creative trait allowed you to take advantage of it, which you would not be able to do like you did if you had to chop monument etc.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying that you had the best land overall, just that the second production city along with your trait helped with the Oracle.

Actually I think the best overall second city site was ours (sheep spot), but gold is shiny and we failed to take advantage of it...one of the biggest mistakes if not THE biggest we did all game.

<snip>

Not necessarily. I think we could've been successful without the Oracle had we met Kaz before Cav, or met Saturn much earlier.

Not necessarily. I think we could've been successful without the Oracle had we met Kaz before Cav, or met Saturn much earlier.

No Oracle = No forges = No pyramids or collosus. No early gems either, so a much more limited happy cap, and a much more limited tech rate. We didn't have much cottagable land other than JD either.

I counted the tiles needed for a wb to meet Kaz before Cav did. It would have had to have been the second build we did, and when you look at the Kaz private forum there's alot of Anti-SANCTA feeling from early on in the game, thoughts about 4v1's against SANCTA etc, so meeting Kaz wouldn't have been all that useful...and the economy would have been that much weaker. Meeting Cav would have been useful though.

No Oracle = No forges = No pyramids or collosus. No early gems either, so a much more limited happy cap, and a much more limited tech rate. We didn't have much cottagable land other than JD either.

I counted the tiles needed for a wb to meet Kaz before Cav did. It would have had to have been the second build we did, and when you look at the Kaz private forum there's alot of Anti-SANCTA feeling from early on in the game, thoughts about 4v1's against SANCTA etc, so meeting Kaz wouldn't have been all that useful...and the economy would have been that much weaker. Meeting Cav would have been useful though.

I was more thinking about meeting Saturn much earlier, but meeting Kaz earlier would've forced them to think harder about whether it was a wise idea to blow us off from day 1.

It's tough to say whould would have happened had SANCTA met Kaz before Cav met Kaz. We (on Kaz) were certainly wary of SANCTA from the beginning though some diplomacy on SANTCA's part might have changed that had we met first. :dunno:

I think if Cav and SANCTA had met first they would have formed a solid long term alliance. That was one of my big fears.

Top Bottom