Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

Thanks!

The folder I put in the Mods folder is called "ingame editor (v37).civ5mod.7z". Is that alright?

Nope! It's not a folder, it's a .7z file*. This is exactly the problem I described when I said, "In its default state, Keka will just recompress a file it doesn't recognise."

You need to tell Keka that it must EXTRACT the mod from the "ingame editor (v37).civ5mod" file, NOT recompress it. You can do this using Keka's Preferences. Select "Always extract" to make it extract the mod.

Alternatively, you can download and install the Preferences file I attached to the first post, which tells Keka that a .civ5mod file is compressed and needs to be expanded. Then you can leave Keka set to "Perform automatic action"

* A 'file' is (generally) a single 'document' that you can't look inside with the Finder. A 'folder' is a container that you can look inside using the Finder, and you will see files and other nested folders.

Sorry, Keinpferd, but you can only "just unzip the downloaded file" if you have downloaded a .zip file. And you can't just "get rid of the .7z ending" to turn it into a .zip file.

The OP has downloaded a .civ5mod file, which you can't "just unzip". His options are to (a) download the .zip version of the mod from a different location, or (b) extract the mod from the file he as already downloaded. I chose the latter option, as he is already almost there.

I have installed it and tested it. I seldom make untested assertions on this site!

You, like me, probably downloaded it from DonQuiche's thread on this site. That gives you a .zip file, which is option (a) in my previous post, and which can be extracted just by unzipping it.

The OP downloaded it from the Steam Workshop ("I've subscribed to it off of Steam"), which is why his downloaded file was called "ingame editor (v37).civ5mod" and not "ingame editor (v37).zip". I have done the same in order to test it for the OP.

Alright sorry, so which one of these should I extract with Keka? http://imgur.com/rdr6FpP

And also do I have to replace it with the other file in the Mods folder thats already there?

Thanks again for the help.

I have installed it and tested it. I seldom make untested assertions on this site!

You, like me, probably downloaded it from DonQuiche's thread on this site. That gives you a .zip file, which is option (a) in my previous post, and which can be extracted just by unzipping it.

The OP downloaded it from the Steam Workshop ("I've subscribed to it off of Steam"), which is why his downloaded file was called "ingame editor (v37).civ5mod" and not "ingame editor (v37).zip". I have done the same in order to test it for the OP.
I'm not interested in that kind of conversation.

Alright sorry, so which one of these should I extract with Keka? http://imgur.com/rdr6FpP
the folder on the right.
And also do I have to replace it with the other file in the Mods folder thats already there?

Thanks again for the help.
Put it in the mods folder and remove any other file with a similar name.

It works perfectly now, thanks for your help!

Great :goodjob: :)

@ Keinpferd: Sorry if your were offended by my post. I was simply trying to explain the range of different cases that we have to be aware of when helping players to get mods working.

I've followed the instructions to change the line to activate the MOD button as stated (I have BNW & G & K) but still can't see the button. I've read all 12 pages here and I'm not sure what I did wrong. There is only one place to change the button activation with BNW correct? FrontEnd folder/ MainMenu.lua change line to read:

-- MAC_PORT - rickb
-- Controls.ModsButton:SetHide( true );
end

I followed these exact instructions, and they worked for a time. Since the recent update to Brave New World, I can't find the line of text you specified within the mainmenu document. Also, all mods I had previously installed were inaccessible due to the mods icon on the main menu not being there any more. An updated version of these instructions would be mush appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, welcome :wavey:

I assume you are running the Steam version of the game, since that is the only one that has recently updated. My Steam copy is updated, it still has that file at:

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Civilization V.app/Contents/Home/assets/UI/FrontEnd/MainMenu.lua

The file still has the line that needs to be commented out:

Spoiler MainMenu.lua :

Code:
-------------------------------------------------
-- Main Menu
include( "MPGameDefaults" );

-- Script Body
local bHideUITest = true;
local bHideGridExamples = true;
local bHideLoadGame = true;
local bHidePreGame = true;
local fTime = 0;
-- MAC_PORT local i1, i2 = string.find( UI.GetVersionInfo(), " " );
-- MAC_PORT versionNumber = string.sub(UI.GetVersionInfo(), 1, i2-1);
versionNumber = UI.GetVersionInfo(); -- MAC_PORT
Controls.VersionNumber:SetText(versionNumber);

function ShowHideHandler( bIsHide, bIsInit )
    if( not bIsHide ) then
        Controls.Civ5Logo:SetTexture( "CivilzationV_Logo.dds" );

-- This is a catch all to ensure that mods are not activated at this point in the UI.
        -- Also, since certain maps and settings will only be available in either the modding or multiplayer
        -- screen, we want to ensure that "safe" settings are loaded that can be used for either SP, MP or Mods.
        -- Activating the DLC (there doesn't have to be any) will make sure no mods are active and all the user's
        -- purchased content is available
        if (not ContextPtr:IsHotLoad()) then
			UIManager:SetUICursor( 1 );
			Modding.ActivateDLC();
			PreGame.LoadPreGameSettings();
			UIManager:SetUICursor( 0 );

-- Send out an event to continue on, as the ActivateDLC may have swapped out the UI	
			Events.SystemUpdateUI( SystemUpdateUIType.RestoreUI, "MainMenu" );
		end
    else
        Controls.Civ5Logo:UnloadTexture();
    end
[b]--	Controls.ModsButton:SetHide( true ); -- MAC_PORT - rickb Comment this line out to re-enable mods. Happy modding![/b]
end
ContextPtr:SetShowHideHandler( ShowHideHandler );

-- Event Handler: ConnectedToNetworkHost

-- StartGame Button Handler
function SinglePlayerClick()
	UIManager:QueuePopup( Controls.SinglePlayerScreen, PopupPriority.SinglePlayerScreen );
end
Controls.SinglePlayerButton:RegisterCallback( Mouse.eLClick, SinglePlayerClick );

….

I don't think the instructions need to be updated. Are you looking at the MainMenu.xml file instead?

Thanks, I did find the line eventually ;). However, when I try to use my mods (In game editor + More luxuries mod) they load up onto the mod menu fine, but when I press next, and have enabled any of the mods, the menu comes up and i cant activate any of the buttons: (Single Player, Multiplayer, Back). Anything I try doesn't seem to work. I've read all of the readme's associated with the mods, and my computer and civ 5 has all of the prerequisites needed to run the mods. I imagine I somehow messed something up in the mainmenu.lua file. I could show you a copy of my mainmenu.lua file if need be.

After you enable a mod and press Next, you shouldn't see a full menu. Just Single Player.

I guess you must have done something wrong when editing your file.

Here is my copy. Unzip it and use it in place of yours.

Attachments

• MainMenu.lua.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 172
I replaced mine with ours, but the problem still remains, I can't use any of the buttons on the screen. Also, I'm on a Mac, trying to post a screenshot so you can understand the problem a bit better, when i press the insert image when I'm replying, it asks for a URL. Is there a way just to attach a file? (.jpg)

I replaced mine with ours, but the problem still remains, I can't use any of the buttons on the screen. Also, I'm on a Mac, trying to post a screenshot so you can understand the problem a bit better, when i press the insert image when I'm replying, it asks for a URL. Is there a way just to attach a file? (.jpg)

To attach an image file on the forum, go to Advanced under the posting window. There's a section to Manage Attachments where you can upload a file.

I have civ v from the app store.i am having trouble with step 5. just don't seem to get it. i guess all i can do is keep on trying. If i would've known the app store didn't support mods and gets updates way later than steam gets them, i just would've went with steam. argg!!

Top Bottom