Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

The Complete Edition is currently £14.99 (UK). It can sometimes be bought at reduced price on offer. How much do you want to play mods? Is it worth the price of a few cups of coffee? Only you can answer that.

The Complete Edition is currently £14.99 (UK). It can sometimes be bought at reduced price on offer. How much do you want to play mods? Is it worth the price of a few cups of coffee? Only you can answer that.
thx this really helped me !
when is it usually discounted.

Hi, I downloaded the file you attached and it led me to the Mods Menu, where I could check and un-check the mods. Then I clicked next and after the game said it was configuring, it displayed that the mods were activated. However, then I can only click "back", which leads me to the same screen and I can't use the mods. The only thing the game allows me to do is repeat the process. I don't know whether you've been asked about this problem before, but I hope you can help me.

Hi, welcome. You need to be aware that the "SINGLE PLAYER" text at the top of the screen after your Mods selection screen is actually a button, like the BACK text at the bottom. Click that to move forward and use the mods you have chosen.

One of the worst pieces of user interface design I have seen in a long time!

thx this really helped me !
when is it usually discounted.

Too many cups of coffee, huh?:)

Sorry, I don't know the seasons for discounting. They "might" do it just before the next version comes along? That will be "Beyond Earth" in the third quarter.

Hi, thank you for posting this thread it's really usefull.

i'm using the App Store version and my problem is that i don't have the folder:

~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign

If i get the folder from someone else, it is possible that i may install the mods? I already tried creating the folder and all the subsequent folders and moving the mods in the direction but none appears in the mod menu in game.

Hi, welcome.

What version of OS X are you running? If it is OS 10.7 or greater then you must have that folder. Are you sure you are looking in the correct Library folder? It is a hidden one inside your Home folder, and its full path name is /Users/<your user name>/Library/. If you hold the alt/option key down when you click on the Go menu in Finder, it will appear as an option in that menu.

Please note that, if you have the App Store version, it is very unlikely that it will run mods even if you can find the folder and get it to display the Mods menu. As far as I know, Apple do not accept software for the App Store that allows installation of non-App Store scripts, and this means that Aspyr has had to disable mods in that version.

Hi, welcome. You need to be aware that the "SINGLE PLAYER" text at the top of the screen after your Mods selection screen is actually a button, like the BACK text at the bottom. Click that to move forward and use the mods you have chosen.

One of the worst pieces of user interface design I have seen in a long time!

It's too bad they didn't make it easy to access mods on a mac.

Aspyr never have supported mods on any of the Civ series. They don't provide a scenario editor for Civ3, and they do not provide an interface to enable or build custom DLLs on either Civ4 or Civ5.

The Mods user interface on Civ5 Mac - if and when you can enable it - is the same as the PC version, as it uses the same scripts. That's down to Firaxis.

is it worth buying it on steam just for mods?

FWIW, I have been playing the steam version for a while. I never have bothered with mods. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had held out for the Mac App Store version. Steam is very buggy, and crashes my Mac pretty regularly. It’s only software that I does this routinely to me.

For a while I ran no mods, until I found AlanH's tutorial. I found several civ mods that I wanted to try and play from time to time. I've grown to enjoy the mods.

FWIW, I have been playing the steam version for a while. I never have bothered with mods. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had held out for the Mac App Store version. Steam is very buggy, and crashes my Mac pretty regularly. It’s only software that I does this routinely to me.

I've not had *any* problems with Steam on my Mac, so I'm not sure what the deal is there. I run Communitas and several other mods together on my Mac Civ 5 all the time, and while I'm still wanting full mod support for the next release, and won't give Aspyr a cent if they don't give it to us next time, Civ 5 is much better mod-wise than it was initially.

(If Aspyr won't give us a full game, and wants to charge us full price anyway, I'll buy a box version of the PC game, and put it on my Bootcamp partition. I'm tired of paying PC price for less-than-PC features.

I don't much care for the App Store version. It's even more emasculated in some ways than the Steam Mac version.

Have spent a few hours now sifting through this thread trying to find the advice for my exact situation, but couldn't find it. I may have skimmed a few pages, apologies if I missed something.

I've downloaded the Enhanced User Interface mod from this link which told me to install the mod into the DLC folder which is in ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/CivilizationV.app/Contents/Home/Assets/DLC.

I installed the unzipped EUI folder (named by default "Ul_bc1") into this folder as well as into ~/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization V/MODS as per AlanH's instructions, but when I run the game the Mod will not show up. I have already enabled the mods button by editing my MainMenu.lua file, but when I click on it the EUI mod does not show up on the list. What am I doing wrong?

NOTES: I am running Civ V via Steam on a Mac, version 10.9.3, with both G&K and BNW.

Many people, perhaps the majority of Civ players, very much appreciate mods.

If Aspyr won't give us a full game, and wants to charge us full price anyway, I'll buy a box version of the PC game, and put it on my Bootcamp partition. I'm tired of paying PC price for less-than-PC features.

I tried Bootcamp and Windows emulators for running games. They don’t fit my habits, and I gave up them up. My Steam experience is better than with any of those, so maybe I complain too much?

You make a fine point about cost. Unfortunately, I bought the boxed (Mac OS) version of Civ5, so I paid the usually Mac price. Sales on Steam are common. Sales on the Apple Store, not so much.

Please try the script posted earlier in this thread. There's a post linked from the first post. It takes all the hassle out of installing mods, as long as they are in the Steam Workshop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

so i used the script to enable the mods set up a game and everything was fine then i tried to exit to the main menu the game crashed. when i hit reopen an error message said that steam wasnt open. i closed steam reopened it and now when i open the game i cant get passed the loading screen after the intro movie. any ideas whats going wrong?

HI. :wavey:

What mod did you install?

Try checking the local game files in Steam?

well ive had a lot of mods "installed" since i got the game. ive been meaning to build a new pc when i have enough money/parts so ive been subscribing to mods i think are interesting as i find them. these are the mods i was running at the time:

magic the gathering: innistrad civ
religion: beliefs expansion and improved customization
diplomacy values bnw
city limits
minor civs
more luxuries
infoaddict
extra victory conditions
and knights templar

i deleted the local content and am reinstalling right now so ill try it again when the install finishes

Hmm. You clearly don't believe in half measures! You also mentioned "building a new PC"? Does that mean you are switching from a Mac?

I would suggest starting with a more modest set of mods. I have no idea what impact that catalog would have on memory usage, for example.

Top Bottom