Is Civilization VII coming or not?

jsciv69

Prince
Last year there was indication that a new installment might be on it's way. It's been a year. So what's the progress if any towards a next Civilization installment?

The progress is that they,re working on it, but a new high-tier game can take *years* of work before it comes out these days, we don't know how long they had already worked on it when they tweeted about it, and actual announcements and details tend to come later in the process than they used to.

Yeah it's coming, it's been officially announced as under development in a rather low key affair, they even said the "creative director" is the same as the lead designer on VI (Ed Beach). What that means is a bit wooly.

Other than "between maybe but very likely not the end of this year and say 2027?", guess you'd have to work at Firaxis to know.

I don't understand the thought behind teasing it so early. Did they actually think an early tease would be a good marketing stunt or was it just an overexcited intern?
An intern? Weird how people always think “interns” are ubiquitous in gaming companies, ready to make massive blunders or be responsible for subpar content or something.

The new Firaxis studio head announced it herself when they put out press releases for her new position. They announced it because even before last year, people were wondering what was going on with the franchise: we’re now farther removed between the last mainline entry and its sequel than ever before, and Civ 6 had a unique post-expansion dlc model.

They just wanted to tell fans that it’s coming. That’s really it.

Last edited:
An intern? Weird how people always think “interns” are ubiquitous in gaming companies, ready to make massive blunders or be responsible for subpar content or something.
I only remember the one tweet. I don't know whether there was anything more

I don't understand the thought behind teasing it so early. Did they actually think an early tease would be a good marketing stunt or was it just an overexcited intern?
I suspect, because the pandemic messed badly with a lot of plans, and they now found themselves with scheduling holes where they were looking at a longer than desired gap between the end of Civ VI support and being able to officially announce Civ VII

Game companies have been announcing games super early as of late. Why is anyone's guess overall, maybe just because everyone else is doing it.

May be they are looking what ideas they could use from other new games in that genre (p.e. ARA and Millenia). :think:

As George Broussard used to say, the game will be released "when it's done". Asking when that will be won't make it arrive any more quickly.

The new Firaxis studio head announced it herself when they put out press releases for her new position.
Do you have a reference for this? I completely missed that as well, and had only heard the one "we're working on it" announcement approximately one year ago.

Do you have a reference for this? I completely missed that as well, and had only heard the one "we're working on it" announcement approximately one year ago.
From 2k itself: https://www.take2games.com/ir/news/new-era-begins-firaxis-games

"I'm thrilled to have this opportunity to carry on the studio's storied legacy, beginning with the announcement that Firaxis is in development on the next iteration of the legendary Civilization franchise," said Hazen. "I’m lucky to be working with some of the best developers in our industry, and we have plans to take the Civilization franchise to exciting new heights for our millions of players around the world.”

Personally...I am not in a hurry. The Nintendo Switch will, probably, continue to be my main gaming platform and if CIV VI already runs kinda bad, I can only assume VII will run even worst. I hope VII will skip a OG Switch launch and goes straight for number two:groucho:!
(pun intended but not ill mean...I think Nintendo Switch 2 will be a good console and I hope it will run CIV VII much better than CIV VI on og Switch)

I suspect, because the pandemic messed badly with a lot of plans, and they now found themselves with scheduling holes where they were looking at a longer than desired gap between the end of Civ VI support and being able to officially announce Civ VII

The Pandemic and the lockdowns etc messed with a lot of things. I’m curious as to what’s going to happen with that age cohort of children as they grow up

Top Bottom