Is Great Library Rush Worth It?

This is kind of an interesting thread. A year ago, I read a thread like this and it was basic consensus that "RUSHING GL IS DUMB, ONLY NOOBS RUSH GL." I'm kinda surprised there's as much discussion about this as there is.

Personally, I've tried both (I was absolutely in the "noob" camp on this discussion a year ago) and felt that while Pottery - Writing - Calendar - and taking Philosophy as a free tech puts you pretty far ahead, it also puts you pretty far behind. Sure, being in the classical era that early is cool, but classical doesn't really get you anything. You spend almost 30 turns building the GL and NC (because that's the only reason to do that, get the NC as early as possible). That's A LOT of infrastructure, not only in your capital, but in the form of settlers in other cities that you're giving up. That's 20 turns of your first expansion, and what, probably 10 turns in your 2nd, in addition to 30 turns of time in your capital? Your new cities do need time to grow and become productive and you are starting that entire process far too late to ONLY consider the hammer cost to your capital.

The Great Works argument is also weak, since Writing works are easier to find homes for, since the amphitheater is such a low tech building, Oxford exists, and Globe is easier to get. On top of that, I like to save up a few Writers for World's Fair time anyway, for massive culture bombs. These are great works that never get made.

I feel my game is far stronger not rushing to the GL.

Top Bottom