IS the byzantine empire playble in MEdieval TW 2?

You start a game with any faction (if you really want Byzantine, one that's near there) then defeat the byzantines.

or cheat By going C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign then open the descr_strat file, cut Byzantines from Unlockable, and put it in playable, and you're ready to go.
Also, don't put anybody who's unplayable in the playable, it crashes the game (I'm not sure for the vatican city, just don't.

Actually, the Papal States work fairly well for me. The only civilizations that crash are the Mongols, Timurids and Aztecs.

Actually, the Papal States work fairly well for me.
Just don't select the "Papacy" menu ;)
The only civilizations that crash are the Mongols, Timurids and Aztecs.

Oh, forgot those. I guess I assumed it was a given that anyone not existent at the beginning might have some issues.

You start a game with any faction (if you really want Byzantine, one that's near there) then defeat the byzantines.

I think if you win a campaign all playable factions are unlocked.

IIRC I got them all by playing a short campaign as England the first time I played the game.

They are playable, just not very fun. :mischief:

The byzantines can be fun, but you have to establish a strong eastern front against the Mongols first.

The Byzantines are too purple for me to play as them. They look ridiculous.

um, why the hell are we talking about the Byzantines color preferences in a 3 month old thread?

I blame the Randomid Caliphate (and Thande)

I concur with Shekwan in that purple-adorned troops look ridiculous.

Say, I've seen videos of Byzantines in this game using cheirosiphons, yet I haven't seen this unit available in a custom game. Are they in the game, the "Kingdoms" expansion, or an unofficial mod? I love the Byzantine Empire, and medieval flamethrowers are too awesome to pass up!

They're in Kingdoms, and they're absurdly overpowered.

They're in Kingdoms, and they're absurdly overpowered.

You think so? Every time I play, Βασιλεία των Ῥωμαίων gets its ass kicked.

Of course, I am playing the Stainless Steel mod, and Hungry pwn's everyone in that mod.

You think so? Every time I play, Βασιλεία των Ῥωμαίων gets its ass kicked.

Of course, I am playing the Stainless Steel mod, and Hungry pwn's everyone in that mod.
Hungary is absurd in Stainless Steel. But then again, whenever I play them (the Romaioi), they end up...well, I usually stop when I get Justinian's empire + Persia, plus a few extras to get 50 provinces.

Top Bottom