Is there a decent unofficial patch that fixes some of the more glaring issues?

Peng Qi

Emperor
I realize 2K and Firaxis are pretty much done with this game, but there are some serious and glaring issues still present I was hoping someone had fixed WITHOUT adding a bunch of other crap. It's easy to find mods full of changes, but I want one that changes only a few things, most notably:

-The mess that is the Industrial and Modern era tech trees. (e.g. Flight and Artillery being so sorely misplaced, Destroyers being so absurdly late in the tech tree, Carriers becoming available alongside Battleships, etc.)

-City States going to perpetual war.

-Ice tiles being the same thing as mountains, and for the entire game.

I'd also love some AI improvements and the like, but my other desires are wishful thinking, I think. By far my biggest gripe is the tech tree fiasco. Does anyone have any mod recommendations that are preferably extremely light on the "adding new features" and heavy on the "fixing existing features?"

Just to touch on this: city states will only go into perpetual war if a player has declared war on City States a set number (something like 4 in the base game?) of times. In short, it's an attempt by Firaxis to ensure that one must bear the consequences for shenanigans (i.e. worker stealing) against CS.

Just to touch on this: city states will only go into perpetual war if a player has declared war on City States a set number (something like 4 in the base game?) of times. In short, it's an attempt by Firaxis to ensure that one must bear the consequences for shenanigans (i.e. worker stealing) against CS.
I'm talking about two city states being at war with each other forever despite their "overlords" being at peace, or in some cases, like my current Venice game, being at war with each other despite having the same overlord.

I'm talking about two city states being at war with each other forever despite their "overlords" being at peace, or in some cases, like my current Venice game, being at war with each other despite having the same overlord.

Oh, that phenomenon.

Yea, that's annoying, thanks for bringing it up (I will definitely be fixing that in my own mod).

The latest patch should be on steam already and it installs by itself whenever you log in. The game still has issues but I doubt that firaxis would come back and make a patch for it since civ 5 has been done and is now being worked on starships and Beyond earth now.

The latest patch should be on steam already and it installs by itself whenever you log in. The game still has issues but I doubt that firaxis would come back and make a patch for it since civ 5 has been done and is now being worked on starships and Beyond earth now.
I'm talking about "unofficial" patches. Likely in the form of mods.

I can't believe they never fixed the bug in which the city center tile is not worked by a city after accepting said city in a peace deal.

Moderator Action: Moved to Creation & Customization

Sounds to me like you lucked out my CSs never fight which I think is absurd.

You could use the community balance patch...but that's a total convertion mod.

I realize 2K and Firaxis are pretty much done with this game, but there are some serious and glaring issues still present I was hoping someone had fixed WITHOUT adding a bunch of other crap. It's easy to find mods full of changes, but I want one that changes only a few things, most notably:

-The mess that is the Industrial and Modern era tech trees. (e.g. Flight and Artillery being so sorely misplaced, Destroyers being so absurdly late in the tech tree, Carriers becoming available alongside Battleships, etc.)

-Ice tiles being the same thing as mountains, and for the entire game.

I'd also love some AI improvements and the like, but my other desires are wishful thinking, I think. By far my biggest gripe is the tech tree fiasco. Does anyone have any mod recommendations that are preferably extremely light on the "adding new features" and heavy on the "fixing existing features?"
You should check out whowards "Pick'n'mix Mods" - he has a mod that addresses point 2, namely forces peace between city states once their allies are at peace. Works like a charm, but I think it requires his DLL mod also. Check out his home page and look for "City States no allied skirmishes" in the DLL required section.

Also he has a mod that adds some cool promotions that lets units cross ice and mountains. It also allows some modern ships to remove Ice I think. Check the "Terrain Crossing" mod in the Promotions section.

About the tech tree, there are mods that change the tech tree, but these are generally parts of larger mods that will normally make all-round gameplay changes, so whether that will match your specific wishes is hard to say.

About the tech tree, there are mods that change the tech tree, but these are generally parts of larger mods that will normally make all-round gameplay changes, so whether that will match your specific wishes is hard to say.
I actually got fed up and learned enough XML to create my own mod for this over the last week. :D

Click here if you're interested.

Top Bottom