JOE-07 - Surfer Dudes!

OK, played but not much happened. Build Pig city (Nottingham), start researching Sailing and connected all cities with roads.
Spoiler :
Turn 0 (90)

Switch to Sailing (12 turns).

Turn 1 (91)

Turn 2 (92)

Settle Nottingham. Start Momument.
York Finish Momument, starts Archer.

Turn 3 (93)

Build roads.

Turn 4 (94)

Build roads.

Turn 5 (95)

Build roads.

Turn 6 (96)

Build roads.

Turn 7 (97)

Build roads.

Turn 8 (98)

York finish Archer, starts Barracks. Archer is moved towards Nottingham.

Turn 9 (99)

Taoism Founded.
London Finishes Archer and starts a worker. I thought since I had to lower the science rate we migh want o hold off building another city for a bit.

Turn 10 (100)

Move Workers back to london to do some pre-chops.

Our Empire:

The Save. View attachment JOE-07 BC-1500.CivBeyondSwordSave

Sorry for the short report but I really do not think anything exciting happened. I have not done any pre-chopping so the next player can do some while he waits to be able to start the Great Lighthouse. I had to reduce our science rate so I think we should tech Metal Casting next so that we can get the Colossus. I think we need the increased income.

Good turns Sansman.
Following turns should be pretty basic, complete some builds, and start thinking about an attack?
What are our plans tech-wise after Sailing?

Roster
Quotey -
FuRRie -
The Sansman - Just Played
JesusOnEez - Up
frankcor - On Deck

This is a 'got it'.

I can't quite tell what the research rate is from the screenshots, but I generally don't stop expanding until about 50% with minimal or no profit per turn.

However, I do agree with going for Metal Casting, not least for the Colossus but also as it tends to be good trading fodder, however, we'll need the Alphabet (unless everyone else has it) straight afterwards, so Sailing > Metal Casting > Alphabet?

I'll play tomorrow to allow some more feedback to come through.

The other thing I wanted to talk about was Espionage. Some people like it, some people hate it. I'm learning to love it in SP games. I generally leave the Espionage slider at 10% the entire game, focusing points on whoever I'm going to attack next. Finances permitting, I'd like to do that here as I think tech stealing will come in very handy amongst many other things. I tend to take spies with me before attacking a city to drop cultural defence bonuses...then I can immediately use siege weapons to inflict damage on defenders...makes for quicker conquests.

So, any thoughts about that?

We are running 80% science.
I love spies, I don't really use the Spionage slider however, as i'd like to keep Research up as high as possible.
But using spies just makes the game so much easier.

In my single player games at Emp, or attempts at ImmortalI like to use the espionage slider (along with lots of scientists to get to techs first) as it's cheaper than self research.

But insteead of devoting 10% accross the game, I think we should just go for 100% a few turns before the attack. Same result and we get the techs we're researching earlier.

I remember that in one of my games (Emp or Immortal, do'nt really remember), I stole about half of the techs I needed from AI's.
So with good espionage usage we can get a nice lead on the AI's.
About using the slider, I'm not to good with it, so i'll let the team make that decision.

At one point of my turn set I had to reduce the science rate to 70%. My concern is that we have no gold and I think we need to build the Great Lighthouse fast. I normally like to have some funds available but I realize we are still early in the game. As for espionage, I think we will need to do some stealing of tech to keep up so after we get the Colossus we should move the slider to 10-20%, depending on what we need and intend to do.

Anyways just some random thoughts from me, I will be looking over the save later tonight to confirm some things (I was too tired last night to really look in detail for future planning).

PRE-TURN:
Can't see anything to improve, although I'm probably going to send the warrior hovering over the pigs on an exploration mission...we'll see.

TURN 1:
More of the obvious is stated.

I see one of the Archers has been sent to our new city, presumably for defence, and the other is heading further north, assumedly for fog busting duties.

TURN 2:
Workers start pre-chopping for the GL.

TURN 3:
Sailing comes in.

I start Pottery, primarily so we can start building cottages and granaries, but also as it's on the way to Writing and Alphabet. My thoughts are that once we get Alphabet, we can trade whilst teching to Metal Casting for the forges/Colossus then head to Civil Service for Beaurocracy...that's how I'd play it at a lower level, tell me if I'm wrong! :D

TURN 4:
The Archer heading north has come across a city of Saladin's that may well end up being our first target...it's taking up some tiles from one of the city tiles I marked up in my previous turnset.

TURN 5:
Nothing.

TURN 6:
Stonehenge BIFL.

TURN 7:
York's border expands over the stone so I send the Workers over to start a quarry.

TURN 8:
Worker in London finishes and I start the lighthouse. I've also changed some tile assignments as it was stagnant and not at the happy cap. :confused:

It's now working for fast growth with the view of whipping the lighthouse and having some hammers put into the GL (along with finishing those pre-chops).

TURN 9:
Pottery comes in and I start on Writing. Feel free to veto this for Metal Casting but I've explained why I've gone for Writing above.

There's a worker pre-chopping here...please remember to stop him before he finishes. Also, when London grows, remember to whip the lighthouse for the hammers to go to the GL, as well as changing tile allocations to something more productive.

Nottingham has just grown to size 2 so I whip the monument.

TURN 10:
York finishes a barracks and I start a Galley, mainly for coastal defence...I imagine barb Galley units will show up soon but feel free to veto this if it's smoke, no hammer's have gone into it yet.

Nottingham also finishes the monument and starts the granary. Again veto this if you can think of something better.

ROOSTER
Quotey - On Deck
FuRRie -
The Sansman -
JesusOnEez - Just Played
frankcor - Up

Attachments

• JOE-07_BC-1250.CivBeyondSwordSave
    123.5 KB · Views: 83
Good work JOE and Sansman. This a got-it. I will play in around 24 hours.. Look for a report late Friday, or early Saturday.

I appreciate the discussion on Espionage. I've used it with some success but based on what you've written, I am under-utilizing it.

I switched the Granary in Notingham to a Lighthouse, thinking it's better to have some food before trying to store some food.

London grew to size 5 after one turn so I whipped the Lighthouse and began work on the Great Lighthouse. It took four more turns working two seafoods to get London back to size 4. At that point, I switched tile assignments to maximize hammers, switching a Mined hill from York to London to pick up an extra hammer there.

York grew to size 5 and went unhappy -- I wasn't paying attention. :smoke: I switched from the Galley there to a Lighthouse, then whipped it the next turn.

At the end of my turnset, York finished the Galley:

I selected a Swordsman next, but no hammers have been spent yet. We may want to consider a Settler there instead. York's growth is stagnated because it is at its happiness cap.

Here is our empire after 10 turns of my messing with it:

I chose not to chop more than three forests for the Great Lighthouse--I hope that wasn't a big mistake. By my calculations. in two turns we can switch from working the Fish to working a plains forest. Two turns later we can whip the wonder for 2 population for a total of 4 more turns.

Attachments

• JOE-07 BC-1000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    130.8 KB · Views: 70
good turns frankcor
I'd favor a Settler over that swordsman, we aren't going to war soon, so we can better axpand a bit more and grab some nice tiles.

ROSTER
Quotey - UP
FuRRie - On Deck
The Sansman -
JesusOnEez -
frankcor - Just Played

Quotey's prompt :wow:

Turn 0 (120)

York is working a 2/0/3 tile instead of the 6/0/1 fish. 2 commerce for 4 food is a done deal in ym book. And we're building a settler there now.

Turn 1 (121)

Qin founds a Gems/Iron city making a useless archer even more useless.

Turn 5 (125)

Writing finishes, AH up next. Writing before AH? Eh, I sohuld have said something earlier.

Turn 9 (129)

Exploring Saladin's land to get better trade routes with the redundant fogbuster.

e: !!!SUPER IMPORTANT NOTICE!!!

GET the York settler to the copper spot. Mao has a city near the spot. I should have noticed and whipped it.

Attachments

• JOE-07 BC-0750.CivBeyondSwordSave
    138.7 KB · Views: 75
I'll need a skip this round i'm afraid
I have to go to my Student's chamber untill Tuesday and I don't have acces to Civ or internet.
I will let you know when I'm back, it's a buzy period for me, new school year and all that.

Quotey - Just Played
FuRRie - Skip till Tuesday
The Sansman - UP
JesusOnEez - On Deck
frankcor -

Good turns everyone. Sorry I haven't been about for a couple of days...busy weekend. Great that we have the GL.

No got it from The Sansman so this is a 'got it'.

I'll make it a priority to grab that copper spot as noted by Quotey.

ROOSTER:
Quotey - Just played
FuRRie - Skip
The Sansman - Skip
JesusOnEez - Up
frankcor - On deck unless FuRRie or The Sansman want to swap with him (and he agrees).

@frankcor - I see you use BUG. How do you get it working? The inital save I produced was created whilst I had the BUG mod loaded and I had to regenerate without it so could you tell me how it's you've got it working?

Thanks!

You just place the BUG files in Documents/My Games/BTS/CustomAssets. This will make it run without having to load it as a mod. It's also legal ofr SG use as it doesn't make the game crash when you go to the log (it used to do this, so either everyone had to run BUG or noone)

Top Bottom