• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

July 1914 : On the Eve of the Great War

Marla_Singer

United in diversity
Memorial Day version on-line ! :)
Check in Latest News for details !

:ar15:This is a World War 1 scenario on the European continent. It has been designed for Conquests Expansion Pack. [c3c]
:soldier: To download the scenario (13.5 MB zipped) :

Latest News :

(11/17/04)
  • COALITIONS ARE NOW RESPECTED. (finally!)
    Spain, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark are all neutrals. Moreover, thanks to Sarevok, they won't be able to sign alliance spontaneously and as such don't risk to mess up your alliance.
  • MOVEMENT WARS ARE NOW SIMULATED.
    The Defence power of WW1 Infantry has been weakened (9.7.1) and the Machine Gunners are now a new Defensive unit (1.10.1). Machine Gunners are buildable since the beginning, however, they are not set up yet. As such, many cities are taken in the first days of the war, time for the AI (and you) to build up a defense of machine gunners.
    The Second movement war is simulated with the technology improvement (successive appearance of planes, armored cars, heavy artillery and tanks)
(06/05/04)
  • I've just realized all Bulgarian cities hadn't been edited at the beginning. I've added right population and improvements for that civilization. Please download the update version to get the correction.
(01/20/04)
  • Some minor things had been corrected.
  • A new upgrade has been put online. artillery are now less effective and more expensive.
  • Naval units have been rethought (thanx to Klyden)
  • The Newest version has got WHOLE NEW TECH TREES ! (January 3rd).
    Click here to know more about latest changes.
  • Multiplayer Version Added created by GreyFox and CivGeneral (December 21st).
  • You don't succeed to install the scenario ? Click here for a quick help !
Scenario Creating Team :
  • Scenario Designers : Gogf, Marla Singer
  • Map Designer : Marla Singer.
  • Multiplayer Version Designer : Grey Fox, CivGeneral.
  • Units graphic designers : Hunter, Kinboat, Smoking mirror, Drift.
  • Scenario Advisors : Klyden, Aeldrik, The Last Conformist, Yoda Power, Adler17, Metacomet.
The Nations :
  • 7 main powers : Germany, Great Britain, France, Russia, the Ottoman Empire, Italy and Austria-Hungary.
  • 7 smaller nations : Bulgaria, Belgium, Greece, Serbia, Romania, Albania and Portugal.
  • 6 neutral powers : Spain, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark.
The Coalitions :
  • The Triple Alliance : France, Great Britain, Russia, Italy, Serbia, Belgium, Greece, Romania, Albania and Portugal.
  • The Triple Entente : Germany, Austria-Hungary, the Ottoman Empire and Bulgaria.
The Map :

image003.jpg

New Tech Trees :
  • Industrial Age : The Tech tree is now shorter than in the regular game.
  • Great War Era : There's now a new era called "Great War that has been entirely customized for the good of the scenario.

New General Units :
  • WW1 Infantry : A boosted infantry (9.7.1)
  • Artillery : I've just upgraded it (16) bombing instead of 12.
  • Machine Gunners : A defensive unit (1.10.1). Large powers can always build it, however they are not set up initially in order to simulate the first war of movements in the first turns of the scenaro.
  • Howitzer : It's an upgraded version of the Artillery that comes later in the game.
  • Mustard Gas : An adapted "cruise missile". It's less efficient but cheaper than those
  • Special Forces : A great unit (12.4.2). It's invisible and very efficient in attack. However, we can't build new ones ! :D
  • Armoured Cars : This unit (12.6.1) comes later in the game.
  • Zeppelins : It’s a flying unit available early and used for recon mission. It can explore very far but cannot bombard.
  • New boats : Boats stats haven't changed, however, the graphics did. The steam transport replaces the regular transport. The same for WW1 destroyer and WW1 battleship.
New Specific Units :
  • Expeditionary Force : A cheap Infantry made of colonial troops (7.6.1) - only for colonial powers
  • Rail Gun : A boosted howitzer only available for Germany.
  • Tanks : This unit come later in the game. Only three countries can build it (France, England, Germany) and each country has its own. Those tanks are the FT17 (14/8/2) for the French, the MkIV (16/6/1) for the Brits and the AV7 (14/10/1) for the Germans.
  • Fighters : Even if all countries can still build fighters, 4 countries have their own. Those countries are France, Germany, England and Italy. The French one has a better bombing power, the germans is better in attack, the british is better in defence and the italians can go further than others.
  • Austrian Armoured : The Austrian Armoured is an upgraded version of the armoured cars that can be built only by the Empire of the Habsburgs. It has 2 bonus points in attack.
New Governments :
  • Autocracy : It's Monarchy with "Forced" rush and a bit of war weariness (Russia, Ottoman Empire)
  • Autoritarism : A mix between Feodality and Democracy. (German Reich, Austria-Hungary, Spain, Portugal, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Greece)
  • Parliamentarism : It's actually Democracy with no war weariness (United Kingdom, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, Italy)
  • Presidential : It's like parliamentarism with more corruption and a bit of free support for units (France, Switzerland)
  • Albania is under Anarchy

Last edited by a moderator:
Scenario Creating Team :
  • Scenario Designers : Gogf, Marla Singer
  • Map Designer : Marla Singer.
  • Multiplayer Version Designer : Grey Fox, CivGeneral.
  • Units graphic designers : Hunter, Kinboat, Smoking mirror, Drift.
  • Scenario Advisors : Klyden, Aeldrik, The Last Conformist, Yoda Power, Adler17, Metacomet.
:thanx: Thanx also to Civfanatics and all its members !! :thanx:

It's finally finished. Thank you mucho Marla. I'm gonna play this as long as my mononucleosis remains. I've been waiting for this like crazy. :goodjob: :)

EDIT: Aww shoot.. it's in (.RAR). Ack!

looking great Marla, just a pitty most of The War against the Ottomans is missing on it, also missing the Americans...

Here a few correction:
As a belgian I would also suggest removing Antwerpen and placing Oostende on the coast instead, that would make the resistance there which was a very important part of the war possible.

The Ardennes are missing, the coal in Belgium should be around Liege, there are no real hills around Brussels, while the region of Liege is a Minig region.. there should be also forest south of Liege...

In Germany, Frankfurt should be the Frankfurt Rhein/Main region, which has now about 10 Million people, with cities like Wiesbaden, Mainz, Darmstadt, all very close to Frankfurt.
I would also recommend removing the silk from Germany, and give them Wine instead, since the Region south of Frankfurt (Bergstrasse) produces a lot of it...

In Algeria, Oujda should be deleted, and replaced a little bit further North by Melilla or another city belonging to Spain, there had more land up there then just the small Ceuta you gave them

Rhodos belonged to Italy in 1914

Tuz Gölü Lake missing south East of Ankara in Turkey.

One last thing, I would also remove the plains tile next to Kiel, this way you would have the Nord-Ostsee Kanal, making it possible for the German navy to cross without passing through Danish waters

Cool:) Im gonna play it soon.

One thing I noticed though-Germany shouldn't have Panzer, they should have the AV7, made by Kinboat.

Ok Thanx Ville... that bug comes from the fact my version of Civ3 is french... which means it's looking for the french name of some files instead of the english ones ! "Eclaireur" is the french name for scout ! :mad:

Ok it can be corrected easily. However I need help :). Can someone, send me an english version of this file :

...\Infogrames\Civilization III\Conquests\Text\PediaIcons.txt

The thing we should simply do is to replace the french names of the units by the english names of them in the unit animations chapter (last one). With an english version of that file, I can do that easily... however, I would need someone to test it after since I don't have an english version of Civ3 anymore !

Okay Ville. I've changed the file... there should be no problem now. :)

However, I still don't succeed to re upload the 11 MB rar file (english version)... It's damn' too big. I starts to think it's been a miracle I could upload it a first time... Would it be a problem if it's in 3 parts ?

By the way Aeldrik, I've edited your changes. However, There's only 2.7 million people in the Rhein-Main urban area and not at all 10 million people. The only urban areas of 10 million people or more in Europe are Paris, London, Dortmund/Essen (Ruhr), Moscow.

Nope!

Ok I've uploaded now a direct english version... and it's a zip for people who can't read rar files. :)

I've also changed the Panzer tank to an AV7 tank. :)

Nope!

Emu,

I have the same problem you did (missing machine gunner pediaicon) but I downloaded the new English Zip version.

How do you fix this problem?

:confused:

:cry:
nother bug
missin WW1 infantry in pedia icons but i used the extractor u pointed too. and i don't think you fixed this one.

BUGS FOUND !

To correct it, here's what to do :
1 - Open ...\juillet1914\text\PediaIcons.txt
2 - Scroll to the very end of the file
3 - Just after the "AV7 Tank" (before the ######## line), you must type :

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Machine_Gunners
Machine Gunners

4 - Save it and close it.

It was as simple as that ! Ok, now it should work. I'll re-upload the 13MB zip files with the bug corrected. I'm planning to do few changes anyway... Normally it should work now. :)

PS : If anyone continues to see other bugs even with the Machine Gunners one corrected, please post it on this thread. ;)

Sorry, it's hell but I can't upload the new version now. Ok, so here is the new PediaIcons.txt, you must replace it by the one from the folder : ...\Juillet1914\text\PediaIcons.txt

Here is the working PediaIcons :

EDIT : File removed because useless now.

BUGS HAVE BEEN FIXED

I advise you to delete your current bugged version before downloading the new one. I'm sincerly sorry that it took so much times to correct the bugs. I would like to thank GreyFox who advised me to use a bilingual PediaIcons.txt to check english version bugs. Normally, there should be no bugs now, since I still can't test directly the english version I don't know...

Please post something if you keep facing bugs.

Top Bottom