Just Realized How Much I'll Miss the Old France...

France is one of my favourite Civs in G&K - I love being able to expand and expand and expand without worrying about having enough Culture to acquire SPs.

I think I will miss the +2 Culture and the Foreign Legion - although uncomfirmed, my feeling is that they will indeed lose the +2 Culture as it'll probably be a bit too strong in BNW. But I'm hoping that, in terms of France's strength as a cultural Civ, it will be a case of 'plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose' ;) ('the more it changes, the more it remains the same')

France is one of my favourite Civs in G&K - I love being able to expand and expand and expand without worrying about having enough Culture to acquire SPs.

I think I will miss the +2 Culture and the Foreign Legion - although uncomfirmed, my feeling is that they will indeed lose the +2 Culture as it'll probably be a bit too strong in BNW. But I'm hoping that, in terms of France's strength as a cultural Civ, it will be a case of 'plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose' ;) ('the more it changes, the more it remains the same')

Foreign Legion is confirmed to be moved into a Freedom Tenet, the +2 Culture is I believe unconfirmed to be gone.

Yes, I realise the Foreign Legion part has been confirmed - the 'unconfirmed' in my post should be read as referring to just the +2 Culture bit.

I'm pretty sure France's old culture will remain intact

Not a single chance. First, the name was changes and doesn't reflect culture bonus anymore. Second, default culture output of buildings was nerfed is +2 would be too extreme even without other bonuses. Third, there's such thing as balance - having these 2 properties as UA would make France absolutely strongly than anything.

Does anyone know if the Musketeers are still in the French civilization? I want to get that Three Musketeers achievement when I play France again.

Does anyone know if the Musketeers are still in the French civilization? I want to get that Three Musketeers achievement when I play France again.

Yes they are, thankfully. I will tollerate a lot of things I don't like because civ is such a smashing game (dumb warmonger AI, the Huns, the kris, spammable mohawk, norweigen ski infantry :cringe:, the Über hwatcha glitch, STUPID WONDER SPAMMING ARSE FACE HIAWATHA AND HIS JACK BOOTED THUG FREIND WASHINGTON!, Etc.) but if they removed the musketeers, I actually would not buy BNW, just on general principle.

Yes they are, thankfully. I will tollerate a lot of things I don't like because civ is such a smashing game (dumb warmonger AI, the Huns, the kris, spammable mohawk, norweigen ski infantry :cringe:, the Über hwatcha glitch, STUPID WONDER SPAMMING ARSE FACE HIAWATHA AND HIS JACK BOOTED THUG FREIND WASHINGTON!, Etc.) but if they removed the musketeers, I actually would not buy BNW, just on general principle.

The H'wacha bug has been fixed for more than half a year now. :p But all your other points are completely valid (ugh, Hiawatha).

The H'wacha bug has been fixed for more than half a year now. :p But all your other points are completely valid (ugh, Hiawatha).

Catherine is a larger pain in my arse, though that doesn't mean Hiawatha and myself are on good terms, either. [pissed]

It's always funny to me when people complain about the really powerful AI's. Isn't one of the main criticisms of CiV how poorly the AI plays the game?

Guys like Alex and Hiawatha are why I can't imagine playing with random personalities. I love meeting one of those guys and realizing that **** just got real.

It's always funny to me when people complain about the really powerful AI's. Isn't one of the main criticisms of CiV how poorly the AI plays the game?

Guys like Alex and Hiawatha are why I can't imagine playing with random personalities. I love meeting one of those guys and realizing that **** just got real.

Oh, I enjoy that too. They just annoy me to no end when I know I would've won the game with any other AI in there instead.

I usually just curse my bad luck, but I suck it up. I guess it adds a sort ofdynamic to the game, otherwise it would be to easy.

Hello, I'm a long time lurker but just created an account, still toying with a few features.

But a question I've had about new France...

Does anyone like the revamped UA? I mean, what are we talking about, maybe 50-65 extra tourism in one city? Keep in mind this number would be at the end of the game after museums AND after securing crucial wonders, like the Louvre. This just seems really weak to me, I mean, compared to their current UA which is among my top favorites.

--Mike

(And if someone doesn't mind, how you customize your signature? Thanks!)

Hello, I'm a long time lurker but just created an account, still toying with a few features.

Does anyone like the revamped UA? I mean, what are we talking about, maybe 50-65 extra tourism in one city? Keep in mind this number would be at the end of the game after museums AND after securing crucial wonders, like the Louvre. This just seems really weak to me, I mean, compared to their current UA which is among my top favorites.

--Mike

Im gonna miss +2 culture a LOT :(

signature - up at the top where it says Home, My Account, etc., go all the way to the right and click on the down arrow next to "quick links", and you will see "Edit Signature" there :)

EDIT: also, just FYI - you will catch a great deal of "Flak" for starting new threads when others similar to it exist already.............ie - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=497045

If city of Light is weak, then hopefully they can compensate with their powerful chateaux...

Welcome to the forum, by the way! :cheers:

I'm with the camp that enjoys the way old France plays. Not to say the new style will be bad, but the old UA was pretty cool.

Insert flak. Also I'm a very staunch opponent of new france. I hate it thematically, hate it history wise, hate the legionaire change, and will likely hate it gameplay wise. Basicly, I am not pleased.

--Mike

Its a European civ so it have to be considerably weaker than other civs to fit the politically correct oikophobia theme going on everywhere in the west right now.

Top Bottom