Just Realized How Much I'll Miss the Old France...

Insert flak. Also I'm a very staunch opponent of new france. I hate it thematically, hate it history wise, hate the legionaire change, and will likely hate it gameplay wise. Basicly, I am not pleased.

no like.png

In all serious though. I'm actually really looking forward to the new changes. The old France was most likely not suitable for the new culture mechanics. I'm kind of hoping some other old civs got updates too. Who knows maybe one of the other civs will play similarly to how the old France plays in G&K. :D

Hello, I'm a long time lurker but just created an account, still toying with a few features.

But a question I've had about new France...

Does anyone like the revamped UA? I mean, what are we talking about, maybe 50-65 extra tourism in one city? Keep in mind this number would be at the end of the game after museums AND after securing crucial wonders, like the Louvre. This just seems really weak to me, I mean, compared to their current UA which is among my top favorites.

--Mike

(And if someone doesn't mind, how you customize your signature? Thanks!)
Moderator Action: Welcome to Civfanatics. :wavey:
Merged your thread with the existing thread on changes to France.

View attachment 352239

In all serious though. I'm actually really looking forward to the new changes. The old France was most likely not suitable for the new culture mechanics. I'm kind of hoping some other old civs got updates too. Who knows maybe one of the other civs will play similarly to how the old France plays in G&K. :D

... Well that was rather rude. He asked for an opinion and I gave an opinion, one shared with many, many others on the forum. Just because I view the changes negatively my opinion is invalid? I am a flamer who should be tuned out just because I don't like a new change? I went along with most the changes happily, it is just here that I am displeased. Is it really wrong to not view every change as a positive thing? Plus, this ain't an upgrade. At best it's a side grade. At worst it's a down grade.

Moderator Action: If you have a problem with a post, please report it and let the staff handle it. Please stay with the discussion and let's not turn this into something personal.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

... Well that was rather rude. He asked for an opinion and I gave an opinion, one shared with many, many others on the forum. Just because I view the changes negatively my opinion is invalid? I am a flamer who should be tuned out just because I don't like a new change? I went along with most the changes happily, it is just here that I am displeased. Is it really wrong to not view every change as a positive thing? Plus, this ain't an upgrade. At best it's a side grade. At worst it's a down grade.

Sorry about that Princeofnigeria. I didn't mean to offend. I intended it to be rather lighthearted. I'll keep this in mind the next time I make another one of my (apparently horrible) attempts at humor. :)

Sorry about that Princeofnigeria. I didn't mean to offend. I intended it to be rather lighthearted. I'll keep this in mind the next time I make another one of my (apparently horrible) attempts at humor. :)

Derp. Didn't read mod action. Will PM. Anyway, more pissed about the changes to foreign legion than to france itself.

Before we panic about France not being a wide Culture civ can we wait for the Chateau stats. If it is a powerful UI they could easily go wide seeing how much more viable that is for a Culture game.

Their old UA was already strong and would probably be op in BNW given the culture changes. The new one seems weak but they may add to it. They already buffed the Brazilwood camp and nerfed the Ducal stable so changes can happen.

Before we panic about France not being a wide Culture civ can we wait for the Chateau stats. If it is a powerful UI they could easily go wide seeing how much more viable that is for a Culture game.

Their old UA was already strong and would probably be op in BNW given the culture changes. The new one seems weak but they may add to it. They already buffed the Brazilwood camp and nerfed the Ducal stable so changes can happen.

What exactly happened to the stables? I keep hearing people say it got nerfed, but I can't figure out what they did.

So far we haven't seen a screenshot of France's UA, so we're definitely not 100% certain that the double theming bonus is all there is. For one, it would make France completely dependent on one or two particular Wonders (the Great Library and maybe the Terracotta Army) to get any benefit out of its UA before the late Middle Ages, when Oxford University is the first non World Wonder with more than one Great Work slot.

The Ducal Stables gave 1 :c5food: and 1 :c5gold: to pasture tiles back at Pax. That has been reduced to just 1 :c5gold:. Brazilwood camps had their culture yield doubled.

I find the French UA really weak and am waiting for an addition, like happened with Carnival. Still I won't be convinced its weak until people try it after release so no need to panic.

Its a European civ so it have to be considerably weaker than other civs to fit the politically correct oikophobia theme going on everywhere in the west right now.

Wikipedia:
"Oikophobia, also ecophobia, is a term used in psychiatry to refer to an aversion to home surroundings. It can also be used more generally to mean an abnormal fear of the home, or of the contents of a house ("fear of household appliances, equipment, bathtubs, household chemicals, and other common objects in the home")."

Huh? What are you talking about?

His white pride is wounded by the fact that the world no longer revolves around Europe?

Wikipedia:
"Oikophobia, also ecophobia, is a term used in psychiatry to refer to an aversion to home surroundings. It can also be used more generally to mean an abnormal fear of the home, or of the contents of a house ("fear of household appliances, equipment, bathtubs, household chemicals, and other common objects in the home")."

Huh? What are you talking about?

Look at the Scruton section, I guess.

That seems to the way that he is using it.

I'm sure they'll make appropriate changes so that they don't stink. Anytime changes are made to something thats working well, there will be apprehension.

For my part it was more of I liked the way France played, will miss it. If the new France allows wide play without large impact to social policy acquisition in the early game, no problem.

Top Bottom