K1 mbt

19Delta

Cavalry Scout
It's been almost three years since I first uploaded the preview pics of the model, but I've finally completed the K1 MBT. Many thanks to Wyrmshadow as he provided me with the effects, helped with some of the animations, and he spent many sleepless nights helping me work bryce, UV mapper, photoshop, and the SBB so that this could finally come to fruition. I would also like to thank Ares de Borg because I used some of his sounds. I hope you enjoy this unit because it took long enough.

You can find the download here

I currently don't have the resources to post one of those nice looking previews that plays all of the animations, so if someone wants to post it here in this thread, I would appreciate it. I would also like to see some of those cool in game pics from Ares de Borg if it's not too much trouble. If there are any problems with the unit, just let me know.

This is what I would call a top notch unit. Your first tank? You sure had a good teacher.

This baby will be in my game ASAP, I'll post screens later.

Attachments

• k1.gif
    k1.gif
    127.7 KB · Views: 1,570
The death is especially awesome, the way that turret gets blown off is amazing!

I'll definitely do more tanks. I'm thinking that the East has been lacking in it's availability of modern battle tanks and armored vehicles. I hope to get better in the future. You're right about having a good teacher, without Wyrm's help, this would not be possible.

GREAT ! A new modern Tank. It`s been a while since the last has been uploaded. He looks fantastic. What a Camo ! He will become my new No1 for the korean Civ.
You want to make more modern Tanks ? Even more fantastic. You can be sure that General 666 is patiently waiting ...

Thankful
General 666

congrats on a splendid first unit! Well done! :goodjob: :D

Yes, we spent several long nights walking through how to use Bryce. He is getting the hang of it. Yes I did give him a few of my explosive effects, but 95% of the rest of it was his work. I just told him how to do it and to keep in mind the realism of the physics is completely dependent on him. It was a lot like teaching a person how to paint a picture purely through correspondence, only slightly faster.
"Are you painting with the brush, or your fingers?"
"The red paint is in your hand, next to the blue paint"
"you're going to have to start over on a new canvas, painting over the old mess is just making it worse."

Interesting metaphor huh?
Keep in mind that it took me years to get to where he is now, but then I never had anyone show me how to do things either.

Thanks everyone. I have a project in the works currently, and then I plan on making some more tanks. The ROK Army needs some hardware as does the JGSDF and the NKPA. Stay tuned for previews. I'm starting to wind down from the recruiting. I just have to put a couple of people in the Army this month and then I'm done. I'll be going back to S. Korea in September, so I will be out of the loop for a little while until I can get my internet turned on. I'll be working on some new things so when I get connected, there shouldn't be a very long wait time before you see my next creation. Thanks again for all of the support.

You're right on the first two. The K2 will be easy because all I have to do is build a new turret. There is already a Type 90 floating around on these forums, but I think it's time to update that one. It seems too firaxis for my tastes. I wasnt really planning on making a Ch'onma Ho tank because there aren't many pictures of it, and since it is just a copy of a T-62, I think that a T-62 will stand in just fine for it. I was, however, planning on making a VTT-323 because I haven't seen one of those yet. I am also planning on making the new Korean IFV, doing a remake of the KAFV, and a Japanese Type 10 tank. I liked La_Dav's Type 98, but I want to try my hand at that one too. There are several other tanks that I want to do too, but I don't want to announce those just yet.

There is already a Type 90 floating around on these forums, but I think it's time to update that one.

It sure is. Good to hear you have plans for that. Another rare tank would be the Arjun (India), I think there aren't any models around and only a really old unit that could need a replacement.

Type90 model is no problemo.
La_dav gave me all his models so a 98 modification isn't an issue either.
I have others that I haven't showen either.

Thats really neat, is the k1 a copy of the US M1?

The K1 has been nicknamed the mini-abrams by US tankers, but it is not a copy of the M1. The president of S. Korea at the time wanted a tank that could replace the current stock of Korean M-48s. He wanted it to be designed and produced in S. Korea, but the Koreans soon realized that this wasn't possible. General Dynamics, the builder of the M1, was contracted to build three prototypes for the Koreans, so the M1 was influential in the design of K1. The result was the XK1. After extensive trials, the Koreans decided to buy the XK1, and awarded the Hyundai Corporation the contract the build the new K1. The first productions models were unveiled in 1988 at the Olypmics held in Seoul. This led to the nickname of Hyundai Type 88, but the official name is K1, and now you know the rest of the story.

Top Bottom