Kpop song reaches #1 in US billboard charts

Hamilton321

Prince
I had not checked the American billboard charts for awhile, but I was surprised to find that the Kpop band BTS occupying the number one spot. BTS is easily the most popular band in the world at this moment. I was surprised at first but when I think back, BTS has been one of the most popular band worldwide for a little while. Even if they were not #1 they usually had a song on the top charts of many countries.

Their song dynamite is perhaps the catchiest song to come out in any band or country so far in 2020. It has a carefree and party vibe that is really demanded right now.

To be honest, I disliked the song the first time I heard it, although after hearing it again I changed my mind and decided I liked it. My opinion on BTS in general has fluctuated since I first began listening to K-pop. At first I disliked it, then I liked it, then I disliked it again and now I like BTS.

It will remain to be seen whether BTS remains at the top of the charts of the US and other countries.
BTS produces a surprising range of different sounds, over the years they evolved from being purely a hip-hop band to become more EDM and pop. It will be very interesting to see what they produce in upcoming years.

I've enjoyed the Kpop EXO group for a long time. They have a combined group called SuperM which is also very popular on the U.S. billboard. The members of BTS are the similar trends as a younger group to gain popularity in Hollywood.

It will remain to be seen whether BTS remains at the top of the charts of the US and other countries.

It doesn't really remain to be seen, they've already done it. It's been at the top in the US for three non-consecutive weeks (two weeks at #1, then two weeks in which it was behind the WAP song, then it regained #1 this week). So that's top 2 for five weeks so far. I think it's the first BTS song that hasn't dropped like a stone after one good sales week. Possibly the only kpop song to achieve that except for Gangnam Style, although I may be forgetting some. Perhaps singing in English is the key.

On balance I think I quite like Dynamite - it's colourful and the key change at the end is pretty retro.

It's not total meme-bait like Gangnam Style. BTS don't really need memes. Their fanbase is so ravenous that basic still images of the group members will get passed around as if they were memes.

Cool. I saw BTS when they were on SNL and while I didn't find them all that interesting, it is a good sign that American music is opening up to foreign acts - speaking as someone whose favorite singers/groups are almost all foreign and a number are non-Anglophone.

What Narz said!

Would this have happened if not for YouTube? If things were the way they used to be, musicians being exclusively promoted by the radio stations and record labels, I wonder how much penetration something like Kpop would have in the West.

Not a criticism in any way of anything; good for BTS.

Would this have happened if not for YouTube? If things were the way they used to be, musicians being exclusively promoted by the radio stations and record labels, I wonder how much penetration something like Kpop would have in the West.

Not a criticism in any way of anything; good for BTS.
I know for a fact I wouldn't have discovered any of my music without Youtube.

@Lexicus
Parks and Rec Youth Culture.gif

Wow that song sucks.

So they are a boyband. Great. yawn :)
Shouldn't they at least look above average to be a successful boyband?

Well, there's only one of you in the world, so they had to make due with what was available.

If Home is the song noted in the OP, then it is terrible. The video is not much better. But their success is not surprising. Much of what of what is popular nowadays is pretty terrible.

Spoiler :
OK boomer!

why are they all wearing those giant headsets in the video that's a weird aesthetic man

I listened to 1 minute or so of the Dynamite song. I don't think it's particularly bad relative to other pop music I've heard in the last several years. I don't care for really any contemporary pop music though.

They all wish they were Michael Jackson. Ho hum.

Top Bottom