Kpop song reaches #1 in US billboard charts

Damn they're effeminate, they make backstreet boys look like a bunch of Mister T's

Indeed. Effeminacy is seen as an asset by the 'training school' entities that create such groups (both male and female groups). This helps when you're selling this stuff to teenagers in the west too. Soyboys, e-boys and twinks are what the teenage girl market (and the ever more important gay male market) is interested in nowadays. No room for Mr. T :(

Source for some of this:

https://www.academia.edu/4732546/Th...pop_Koreas_Place_in_the_Global_Music_Industry

It goes into the Michael Jackson comparison that Birdjaguar mentioned as well. I happen to agree with Birdjag more than the article though. MJ as the king of pop looms large in the west, you can't just dismiss the effect an appeal to his style will have on your popularity, as the article does.

Well, I listened to half of “Home” thinking the earlier linked video was the song that charted. Then I saw the one that did and listened to that for about a minute.

Can’t say I cared for either of them, myself. Whatever. People buy what they want to buy, it’s not really my business.

Well, I listened to half of “Home” thinking the earlier linked video was the song that charted. Then I saw the one that did and listened to that for about a minute.

Can’t say I cared for either of them, myself. Whatever. People buy what they want to buy, it’s not really my business.

Better prepare yourself against the wrath of Synsensa. Unless he only becomes angry when one comments on the looks of BTS (which I am 'sure' he knew existed before this thread too :p )

Well, why did you rage over my criticism of the band with the CivIV expansion name?

You're mistaking mockery for rage, I think. I was making fun of you for trying to opine over the attractiveness of a boy band when you aren't the target audience and you had already admitted you don't even like boy bands. I was considering making fun of Narz too for trying to opine over how ~manly they are(n't), but figured once was enough. For people who don't like the stuff, you guys go out of your way to have weird opinions about it.

You're mistaking mockery for rage, I think. I was making fun of you for trying to opine over the attractiveness of a boy band when you aren't the target audience and you had already admitted you don't even like boy bands. I was considering making fun of Narz too for trying to opine over how ~manly they are(n't), but figured once was enough. For people who don't like the stuff, you guys go out of your way to have weird opinions about it.

This is profound. Seriously, though, why exactly did you care enough to come to the defense of BTS? Or is it just that you are into "mocking" :shake:

You're playing with dark forces here Kyriakos and I urge caution. The BTS fanbase has a billion eyes and a trillion tentacles. If it notices you, it can destroy you.

Better prepare yourself against the wrath of Synsensa. Unless he only becomes angry when one comments on the looks of BTS (which I am 'sure' he knew existed before this thread too :p )
:dunno:

I didn’t have any comment about their appearance; looks like standard Kpop fare to me.

On masculinity, I don’t know how much of it is different from the West to East Asian countries. From my own observation, the Schwarzenegger-type doesn’t seem to be a thing here. Maybe I’ll have to ask my co-workers and get their take on it. I wouldn’t make a generalization based off one person’s opinions, though.

Fwiw I wasn't commenting on their masculinity, just that usually boy-bands have a couple of very clearly above average-looking members as well. Makes sense, given quality of music isn't exactly the selling point of such bands :satan:

Top Bottom