lack of function signatures driving me MENTAL!!!!!

lemmy101

Emperor
WHY OH WHY OH WHY does the Lua SDK reference have NO INFORMATION on what the bloody parameters are for a function????? therefore rendering them completely POINTLESS.

I've sat here for about five hours trying to bloody work out how to call ONE FUNCTION.

Player:Found

Given the functions around it, suggests to me this founds a city. How? What on God's Green Earth would I put as parameters to this function? Lua certainly doesn't tell me.

I've searched the net, apparently the way to figure out a function signature is to do debug.getinfo(function) but no, of course that functionality is disabled in the Civ 5 lua. Why all these road blocks? Would it be that hard to have given a list of functions with what bloody parameters they use? :( I'm starting to feel like they don't want us to mod anything and are purposefully withholding or breaking bits to stop us. Paranoid I know, but after all the stuff with nexus, munged dds files and now this... grrr.

Ridiculous.

I quit modding for these reasons. I'll start back up when Firaxis decides we're worth a damn.

This is the first time since release I'm bloody angry, I've defended Firaxis to the hilt with the game, which I genuinely feel was unfairly slated by a lot of people. But I'm finally angry.

I mean they printed out HTML documentation so why not go that one extra step of providing the parameters?? When the hour or two work to generate that list would mean the differences of thousands of hours of modder work and the difference between a few UI and balance mods and full blown gameplay feature additions.

It defies logic.

It doesn't make any sense. Since I've started modding Civ be that art related or now with the shambles of lua documentation, it genuinely feels like intentional attempts to slow us down. :( NO programmer would look at that Lua documentation file and genuinely think 'that'll do', surely??

They did layoff 20 people a couple of months before release. Maybe that affected their crunch more than they thought it would.

Player:Found

Given the functions around it, suggests to me this founds a city. How?

or maybe it returns true/false if a unit can found a city, seeing how found is a column in units (or maybe that's CanFound(void))

Code:
player:InitCity(plot:GetX(), plot:GetY());
is probably a better function to make a city just because there's already examples available (ie live tuner-map-city plopper)

Apart from the obvious searching the game files for possible calls of a function, I found it's always a good idea to just look at the documentation for Civ4's python functions.
Almost all LUA functions I've used are basically 1:1 copies of Civ4 functions.

So try looking at the Civ4 python reference.

In CvPlayer there's a found function which looks like that:
Code:
VOID found(INT iX, INT iY)

Still no idea what it actually does, though...
_____
rezaf

In CvPlayer there's a found function which looks like that:
Code:
VOID found(INT iX, INT iY)

Still no idea what it actually does, though...

Founds a city at the plot specified by the {iX, iY} map coordinates? That's my best guess...

Apart from the obvious searching the game files for possible calls of a function, I found it's always a good idea to just look at the documentation for Civ4's python functions.
Almost all LUA functions I've used are basically 1:1 copies of Civ4 functions.

So try looking at the Civ4 python reference.

Nice tip! That helps alot.

Top Bottom