[RD] LGBTQ news

What "stuff"? Are you talking about him being totally corrupt and taking nonstop bribes? Or something else?
Well, yeah… did you know he never recused himself for a conflict of interest even once?
A substantial factor in that failure lies with the SCOTUS and Trump putting three Justices on the Court kicked that failure into overdrive... if Biden loses to Trump then maybe Trump will get to put one or two more Justices on the Court. Thomas and Alito are the oldest, followed by Sotomayor and Roberts. So with any luck for Republicans, if Trump wins, they can maintain their imbalance even if Thomas and/or Alito drop off.
Oh my God.

A substantial factor in that failure lies with the SCOTUS and Trump putting three Justices on the Court kicked that failure into overdrive... if Biden loses to Trump then maybe Trump will get to put one or two more Justices on the Court. Thomas and Alito are the oldest, followed by Sotomayor and Roberts. So with any luck for Republicans, if Trump wins, they can maintain their imbalance even if Thomas and/or Alito drop off.
Well saying someone’s the oldest in the Supreme Court doesn’t matter because most if not all of the members of SCOTUS are old geezers.

Well, yeah… did you know he never recused himself for a conflict of interest even once?
Well, yeah... because like I said to you already, he's totally corrupt. He's a complete disgrace and the worst Justice on the Court, for numerous reasons. Although I'm not sure what the point of your question was...

In any case, when Thomas inevitably leaves the Court he will be replaced by whoever is POTUS. If that is Trump, then that replacement will be another Republican, who is likely to be as, if not more hostile to LGBTQ rights.
Well saying someone’s the oldest in the Supreme Court doesn’t matter because most if not all of the members of SCOTUS are old geezers.
It matters because when old geezers drop off the Court they haver to be replaced by younger old geezers. If the new, old geezers are replaced by a Democrat there is a much higher probability that they will be more favorable to LGBTQ rights. That isn't enough to motivate some folks to vote for Democrats for various reasons. As I've said, it seems to be enough to motivate folks to vote for Republicans... which is a contributing factor to why we are, where we are now.

Last edited:
Given the bolded, I'm not entirely sure you fully understand
Understand what?
because you're back to browbeating folks (via text) with negative consequences.
"Browbeating"? "negative consequences"? I'm missing your point here. I've been very clear that I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else to vote for Biden. Your response to me comes off like you think I want something from you and you're warning me that I'm not taking the right tone/approach to sweet talk you. I've not the slightest interest in sweet talking you or convincing you to vote for Biden or anyone else. Vote for whoever you, want. I'll take no responsibility for your voting decisions. You (the royal you) can't blame your vote on "Sommers was mean to me on the internet" GTFOH with that implication. Once again, all I am interested in, is probing what I regard as the logical fallacies, contradictions, etc., in the reasons folks give for voting, or not voting a particular way.

So miss me with "browbeating" and "negative consequences"... please describe to me specifically, what you want me to say or not say, so I can address that directly. @Farm Boy gets accused of being vague and enigmatic about the kind of criticism you're giving me here. What I'm offering, is to be very clear and direct with you in my responses but you have to actually take a position, rather than doing what you and other folks constantly accuse Farm Boy of... ie being vague and indirect.
I've got a tip for the party does allegedly didn't want Roe overturned. Codify it next time, or don't run on a platform promising to despite knowing it was apparently never going to be possible :)
Conventional wisdom was that overturning Roe was impossible. However, Republican voters didn't say... "Oh well they didn't get it done so I'm abandoning them." Republican voters kept voting Republican in the hopes that eventually, they would accomplish their goal. They stuck with it... for the long haul... decades and decades, again based solely on the promises and hopes that eventually, they would deliver, on the longshot, impossible promise, sometime in the future. That's what Democratic voters don't seem to be able to do, just based on the anecdotal comments on these threads.
That's fair enough. Don't run on that promise then (would be my advice assuming a couple of posts on the Internet were ever seen by anybody remotely related to this).
Right, that was O'Donnell's point. Democratic politicians can't do what Republican politicians do... ie., set a seemingly impossible goal like say overturning Roe (or full acceptance of LGBTQ rights) and depend on their voters to keep voting for them, for decades, waiting patiently for the impossible to gradually be made possible. That's just not how the Democrats' voters are currently built. Democrats' voters don't get what they want, lose heart and #abandon... meanwhile the Republican voters stay committed to the long game... and slow and steady wins the race.

Last edited:
I am going to make a new thread to respond to this because there's no way I can respond to this in a way that's on-topic. If I tried my posts would probably get moved. I will link the new thread here when I am done.

Well, yeah... because like I said to you already, he's totally corrupt. He's a complete disgrace and the worst Justice on the Court, for numerous reasons. Although I'm not sure what the point of your question was...

In any case, when Thomas inevitably leaves the Court he will be replaced by whoever is POTUS. If that is Trump, then that replacement will be another Republican, who is likely to be as, if not more hostile to LGBTQ rights.

It matters because when old geezers drop off the Court they haver to be replaced by younger old geezers. If the new, old geezers are replaced by a Democrat there is a much higher probability that they will be more favorable to LGBTQ rights. That isn't enough to motivate some folks to vote for Democrats for various reasons. As I've said, it seems to be enough to motivate folks to vote for Republicans... which is a contributing factor to why we are, where we are now.
Remember when the racist Ruth bader Ginsberg refused to step down giving trump a golden opportunity to make the court the most fascist it has ever been?

Scalia refused to step down. However Mitch McConnell saved the seat for Republicans anyway.

The funniest part of all that is that the guy Obama was gonna put on the Court was a fudging Republican anyway, as we've now found out in the course of the Biden Special Prosecutor saga.

And that's kinda the problem; Republicans appoint neo-Nazis to the court while Democrats appoint Republicans to the Court.

Don't forget who created the ACA.

As I like to say, the only productive parts of a Democrat agenda consist almost entirely of telling Republicans to do things for them.

Edit: crap, I thought this was the break off thread

i guess if you really believe one side is supernaturally fighting for good despite anything they actually do then you can always believe pushing the Overton window further right is just something happening to the poor Dems as a result of bad figureheads and not, you know, the concentrated effort and policy of a lot of white stuff-owners who are increasingly realizing they have no personal stake in this democracy thing as long as they have guns and peons, and yes they run the gamut of your racist cowboy uncles and your racist leaders of California business with rainbow icons while they funnel money to death squads in the Amazon. “Is she talking about the jungle or the company warehouses” haha eyy up top!!

Since I was a child, I was taught that the American system is great because the checks and balances ensure no party can trample on constitutional protections or abuse the system to corrupt or self-serving ends, and the two parties have together demonstrated this over the past 15 years to be a total farce. There are no actual checks and balances, and this constitution is rendered wholly impotent in the face of a party which coordinates politically between the branches.

If there's anything the Trump era in particular has revealed, it's that a lot of the system was just based on the assumption that everyone was acting in good faith and wanted what they believed was best for the country, and that when it came down to it if someone was being brazenly, stupidly corrupt in the manner of Trump, he'd be held accountable by the rest of the system because obviously it wouldn't get full of similar bad actors and people who'd recognize the bad actors sucked but put party over country and even opposition party members who wouldn't do what was necessary to fix things because what was necessary wasn't The Right, Proper Way Of Doing Things.

And to all of that we can now say: ayy lmao

Context we have rainbow colored crossings here. They look quite good. Church members have been throwing paint on them.

Destiny Church is US style evangelism prosperity doctrine garbage. Lead by "Bishop" (conman) Brian Tamaki. They preach to (con and swindle/bilk) lower income Polynesians.

Stand up guy blames things lije earthquakes and volcanoes on the usual suspects. Stood for parliament got F all votes. Outside his deluded followers not much support.

Public support.

Last edited:
If there's anything the Trump era in particular has revealed, it's that a lot of the system was just based on the assumption that everyone was acting in good faith and wanted what they believed was best for the country, and that when it came down to it if someone was being brazenly, stupidly corrupt in the manner of Trump, he'd be held accountable by the rest of the system because obviously it wouldn't get full of similar bad actors and people who'd recognize the bad actors sucked but put party over country and even opposition party members who wouldn't do what was necessary to fix things because what was necessary wasn't The Right, Proper Way Of Doing Things.

And to all of that we can now say: ayy lmao
It’s not even really “the system” per se but the middle class perception many people have had of it, I’ll say many people who fell hook line and sinker for the big liberal lie that we live in a new age of history or whatever. The only thing that has actually changed is our perception collectively. We have become disillusioned. But even when we were letting Obama or Clinton lie to us we were still collectively sponsoring the destruction of our own people. We were fools to think our kindly evangelical masters would allow us to live freely before they tried to rein it all in again.

It’s not even really “the system” per se but the middle class perception many people have had of it, I’ll say many people who fell hook line and sinker for the big liberal lie that we live in a new age of history or whatever. The only thing that has actually changed is our perception collectively. We have become disillusioned. But even when we were letting Obama or Clinton lie to us we were still collectively sponsoring the destruction of our own people. We were fools to think our kindly evangelical masters would allow us to live freely before they tried to rein it all in again.

Lies or deliberately torpedoed by bad faith actors?

Lies or deliberately torpedoed by bad faith actors?
If the people making the promises don't have a plan for people obviously trying to sabotage something, then they're bad at promises and probably their jobs.

Assuming you're asking this in good faith, of course.

If the people making the promises don't have a plan for people obviously trying to sabotage something, then they're bad at promises and probably their jobs.

Assuming you're asking this in good faith, of course.

Is partly because politicians don't know everything.

Obama was probably genuine but he's only 1 person and presidents don't rule by fiat.

Another time Ardern here correctly priced a policy figures added up but reality intruded.

So they weren't lying but didn't know how to put theory into practice or couldn't through no real fault of their own.

Obama was probably genuine but he's only 1 person and presidents don't rule by fiat.
Obama was not genuine he didn't even try to do half the stuff he proposed.

I posted about this in another thread though.

Obama was not genuine he didn't even try to do half the stuff he proposed.

I posted about this in another thread though.

Iirc he has written about it. He discovered the hard way what you can actually do is different than what you want.

Top Bottom