Liberating cities (BNW)

Carassius

Chieftain
I seemed to have lost the option of liberating captured cities / city states. Any ideas about what is happening?

You can't liberate any city states Venice bought. Also I believe the same for if Austria marries one. Did either of those happen?

City States bought via GMOV and cities married by Austria UA lose their city state statue entirely and are just regular cities.

So if Venice first buys a city state via GMOV then gets the city conquered by somebody else and you capture it (and aren't at war with Venice) you can liberate it ... to Venice.

I liberated York off Ashurbinapal a while back. England had been eliminated. It was me who eliminated them, but I hoped to salvage my reputation (and liven things up) by bringing them back to life. However, Liberate was not an option on capture. Somewhat frustrating.

It was me who eliminated them, but I hoped to salvage my reputation (and liven things up) by bringing them back to life. However, Liberate was not an option on capture.

You cannot resurrect a civ that dies while you are war with them -- even when you are not the one that killed them off. If it is not me that kills them, I try to make peace before they go -- just to keep my options open for later in the game.

You cannot resurrect a civ that dies while you are war with them -- even when you are not the one that killed them off. If it is not me that kills them, I try to make peace before they go -- just to keep my options open for later in the game.

That's useful to know, and whilst I'm not sure regarding the historicity of the rule it makes sense from a balance POV.

Top Bottom