Linguistics issue: What is the term that describes the way a word sounds?

Artifis

El Gato is not happy
This may sound like an awfully simply question to google, but believe you me when I say that Google has not been very helpful where this is concerned. In any case, I want to know what the term is which describes the way a word sounds as you are reading it. Like... the word "mellifluous" is used to describe sounds or passages which are melodic in quality, but what of the word "mellifluous" itself? The word itself has a very musical feel to it, and it is the term which encapsulates this concept I'm looking for.

In context, I want to say something like, "I hate/love the word 'mellifluous' simply because of its _______".

It's almost like "pronunciation", but isn't. And I'm sure that there's a better way to phrase it than "I hate/love the word 'mellifluous' simply because of the way it sounds".

In fact, on second thought, even my title may be misleading. This isn't exactly a linguistics issue is it? It seems more of a subset under linguistics. Almost like... "etymology", which is the study of words, but it isn't.

Forgive me; I'm feeling rather Flaubertian right now.

EDIT: Here's something which I forgot to add which will clarify the issue a lot. Let's say that the word "mellifluous" almost sounds like another word, "malleafluent" which means "fluent in many different types of metallurgy" (yes I just made it up). Now let's say I happen to be a huge fan of metallurgy, and therefore like "mellifluous" simply because it sounds similar to "malleafluent". Is there a term for this quality of the word "mellifluous"? Or should I just say that I like it because of its associations with the word "malleafluent"?

I should also change the title to say "What is the term that describes the way a word sounds in comparison to another word?", but then that's too long a question for the forum formatting.

I may be misunderstanding your question but are you looking for the term onomatopoeia, which means "the formation or use of words such as buzz or murmur that imitate the sounds associated with the objects or actions they refer to." ?

No, that's not it Moss.

I was reminded of the words cacophony and euphony and looking it up, Wikipedia says the linguistic term you might be looking for is phonaesthetics. Don't count me an expert on the subject though.

Pronunciation is fun however. "Raprashian of Gaushian" ah fun times.

No, that's not it Moss.

I was reminded of the words cacophony and euphony and looking it up, Wikipedia says the linguistic term you might be looking for is phonaesthetics. Don't count me an expert on the subject though.

Yeah, I misunderstood the question. I think Earthling is more on the ball.

Hmm… the phonology of the word, you mean?

Phonetics?

I may be misunderstanding your question but are you looking for the term onomatopoeia, which means "the formation or use of words such as buzz or murmur that imitate the sounds associated with the objects or actions they refer to." ?

No no it ain't "onomatopeoia". Onomatopoeia is way too technical a term. It describes the way words imitate sounds, but it doesn't refer to their inherent quality when you read it out.

No, that's not it Moss.

You know... I've never come across the word "phonaesthetics" before, but it's a fantastic term! Upon thinking about it though... I realise I have phrased my original question wrongly.

Let's say that the word "mellifluous" almost sounds like another word, "malleafluent" which means "fluent in many different types of metallurgy" (yes I just made it up). Now I happen to be a huge fan of metallurgy, and therefore like "mellifluous" simply because it sounds similar to "malleafluent". Is there a term for this quality of the word "mellifluous"? Or should I just say that I like it because of its associations with the word "malleafluent"?

In any case, I shall go edit my question right now thankyouverymuch.

Phonology? or Morphology?

May help your search if you are looking to see how words are formed by sounds.

If not phonology, maybe what you're looking for is rhythm :D

Our Sublime Padishah Emperor has charged me to take possession of this thread and end all dispute.

In context, I want to say something like, "I hate/love the word 'mellifluous' simply because of its _______".

"...phonaesthetics." The Earthling is correct.
Though I suggest just going with euphony or cacophony. They pertain to things other than how-a-word-sounds, but I think that just makes them more useful.

EDIT: From wikipedia
Phonaesthetics (from the Greek: φωνή, phōnē, "voice-sound"; and αἰσθητική, aisthētikē, "aesthetics") is the claim or study of inherent pleasantness or beauty (euphony) or unpleasantness (cacophony) of the sound of certain words and sentences.

And I'm sure that there's a better way to phrase it than "I hate/love the word 'mellifluous' simply because of the way it sounds".

But doesn't that convey exactly what you mean AND - this is the kicker - in a manner both the reader and you understand? :)

In fact, on second thought, even my title may be misleading. This isn't exactly a linguistics issue is it? It seems more of a subset under linguistics. Almost like... "etymology", which is the study of words, but it isn't.

I'd say it's a matter of aesthetics: At issue is what you find beautiful (or not). Your perceptions rather than something absolutely inherent to the word.

Now let's say I happen to be a huge fan of metallurgy, and therefore like "mellifluous" simply because it sounds similar to "malleafluent". Is there a term for this quality of the word "mellifluous"? Or should I just say that I like it because of its associations with the word "malleafluent"?

You could say you like mallaefluent's connotation. But I suspect euphony or phonaesthetics is still what you're reaching for.

Euphonic. The word you're loooking for is euphonic.

EDIT:

D'oh! I didn't notice your second question. As for this question (What is the term that describes the way a word sounds in comparison to another word?), the word you're thinking of is oronym.

Yours faithfully

The only HUMAN translator in OT.

You're Spanish, I'm not sure you qualify as human (unless you mean that all the rest of us are super-human!)

Top Bottom