Votes: 55 56.1%
  • Good

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • Fair

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Poor

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters
Your attack is going to fail miserably if you think 8 units can fight a civilization.

yes, and now I gathered 12 gondorian calvary and all the heroes.

Later in the game I noticed u get 8 FREE Rohirrium in rohan! I immediatly uded them al to attack isengard and believe it or not, that city was taken, bringing down saruman the white with it. Why can't I conquer isengard??? It wiuld have been resourceful in my cause against mordor with alll the shield and gold the city produces. Anyway, like right after i razed ( couldnt capture, as i said for some reason), 2o siege towers and trolls stormed into my kingdom. NOW i realise that the rohirrum was suppoesd to fight the invading forces. I didnt know that because I watched the Movie Return of the King a long time ago and rewatched it AFTER the incident occured. Still, my westerm bowmen , trebuchetes, and the heroes with artillery in Minas Tirith proved very effective against the invaders. Plus I had the 12 gondorian calvs, 2 rohirrum in army, of which I had 2 armies composed entirely of gondorian calvs, and all the calvary were elite with asterisk and a nickname on them like BLADE or IRON PLOW, since they created great leaders. Too badd that the enemy completely evaded my fortifications of minas tirith and went streaight for the defenseless cities more deep into the nation. I saw it was hopeless to stop them because the heores and calvary armies were busy with the Dragons ( 4 of them!!! ) and whenever other calvs came out to get rid of the big pile of seige towers and trolls, my forces were slaughtered since they have less defense value. And from the south oilauphants invade. MY primary defence tactic was bombard and hunt down. I used artillery and ships to bombard strong enemy to health level red and used calv to hit and run. I got a lot of leaders that way. I had more power than mordor and isengard it self! I was conquering like crazy up west-north and my forces were piling at southwest. I actually captuered all cities that could be captured northwars, the cities of isengard. Now i was ruined so i got back to saved game when the 8 rohirrum appeared and sent them to minas tirith.s

-Why cant i capture isengard?
-Is there a way into mordor? Other than round back? Is there way for frodo to go to MT doom?
-Why do workers take forever to get something done? I think worker productivity should be dramatically raised. It took 10 turns for 2 workers to get one road done.

Thanks very much, and I hope you enjoyed my little adventure. Please reply to my bullet pointed question!

Bu the way I saved and loaded like crazy. I saved 4 times per turn and named the saves week13a week13b wee13c....and so on. I had to use the power of reloading and saving whenever luck was down on me just to make it through alive! but thanks to that power(more like cheatin) I am technologically advanced and militerally powerful.

Hey mountedantman,

-Why cant i capture isengard?
The reason you can't capture Isengard is because 1) Saruman is there and as I recall he is a King unit in this scenario which means if you are playing regicide mode that the city will be destroyed when he dies. But 2) realistically speaking, none of the "good guys" would have wanted to keep Isengard as it was. In both the books and the movie everything but the tower was destroyed and in the timeline this scenario has they would never have been able to restore it in any way.

-Is there a way into mordor? Other than round back? Is there way for frodo to go to MT doom?
There is, its called the Black Gate...

......if that proves too futile there is always the secret way that Frodo really took. It's just... there may be difficulties...

-Why do workers take forever to get something done? I think worker productivity should be dramatically raised. It took 10 turns for 2 workers to get one road done.

I believe for this scenario it is fine as is. Keep in mind that 1) the time period is approx one year, 2) building was not something that was done with any frequency at this point in Middle Earth history and certainly never of the quality that could once have been achieved, and 3) with these prior two thoughts, it is more for gameplay reasons that one can complete a road at all within the timeframe.

Yes right about building, but still, I would like my workers to finish something before they get killed, which happens impromptu and frequently. its good to see the workers have defense and attk points, so they can at least defend themselves. So far I completd one road tile heading from minas tirith to rohan at the expence of 2 workers. Not a bad deal eh?

By the way the scenario is wonderful and i apologize for not being able to comment on how detailed and exciting it is. I hoped for LOTR music built into it. Anyway, I turned on LOTR music from youtube while playing for maximum LOTR experiance. This game made me want to rewatch LOTR return of the king, which i havent watched for 4 years.

I like how I get 8 free rohirrum at helms deep! its just like in the movie. So where is this secret gate to mt Doom? And what am i supposed to do with my heroes? Is there any point in raiding that city up north where there's the big scary devil dude with his friend the octopus creature and and where gandalf almost died in the Fellowship of the Ring?

What is a

Yes right about building, but still, I would like my workers to finish something before they get killed, which happens impromptu and frequently. its good to see the workers have defense and attk points, so they can at least defend themselves. So far I completd one road tile heading from minas tirith to rohan at the expence of 2 workers. Not a bad deal eh?

It sounds like it all turned out very much the way it would have had you really been trying to build a road from Minas Tirith to Edoras at the end of the third age.

By the way the scenario is wonderful and i apologize for not being able to comment on how detailed and exciting it is. I hoped for LOTR music built into it. Anyway, I turned on LOTR music from youtube while playing for maximum LOTR experiance. This game made me want to rewatch LOTR return of the king, which i havent watched for 4 years.

I definitely concur that this is a great scenario. As a big LotR fan from before the movies came out (has to add some sort of extra prestige, no? :mischief: ;)) it is one of the funnest scenarios I've played, especially with the music going (I just played the bits of soundtrack that came on with the 20-min. long fan-credits on the extended DVD). It is a shame really, as I have done quite a lot of work on it; there were still a number of bugs in the current version. I also did a bit of work adding and updating wherever possible (thorough perfectionist at heart) and focusing on trying to get the AI to act in more accurate ways such as not heading past Minas Tirith because of its high defenses. I say "shame" because its all on a computer a few thousand miles away that is off the internet since I left and probably will not be back on for several months yet.

So where is this secret gate to mt Doom?

to answer would be a contradiction...

And what am i supposed to do with my heroes? Is there any point in raiding that city up north where there's the big scary devil dude with his friend the octopus creature and and where gandalf almost died in the Fellowship of the Ring?

You can use your heroes for any number of survival techniques. You definitely want to conquer--in fact pass through--Moria as the mithril resource found there is essential to be able to "upgrade" all aforementioned heroes.

This is a great mod. Just a few things (they may have already been mentioned, I can't be bothered to look through the 17 pages of posts).

1)Mirkwood actually belongs to the wood elves after The Necromancer (Sauron) was defeated there by the wizards during The Hobbit

2) Aragorn should have a bombard ability. He shoots arrows with Legolas in Moria (in the film at least) when the fellowship are trapped next to Balin's tomb and orcs are breaking through the doors.

3) Boromir should be upgradeable, especially since if he dies in the game you automatically lose. Which brings me on to...

4) Instead of having the fellowship as king units, could you have them needing to have a non-existant resource (eg uranium) to be built? (But then how would you manage the upgrades...)

You may be able to spot something to use either to change the mod or use in a new version in what I've written.

For a review of my play-through, look no further!

As soon as I began 2 wraiths approaced the hobbits - so I set Merry and Pippin on them. To my surprise they defeated the wraiths! 2 down, 7 to go! Aragorn was meanwhile approached by 4 cave trolls. I made him attack 2, but in doing he was brought down to 1 hp so I sent the rest of the fellowship down from Rivendell to help out. When the Hobbits had arrived, I decided that Gandalf could wait, I was running out of time to get Frodo and Sam to Mordor. So I went straight through Isengard, and was not attacked by a single orc! Once everyone had recovered from their earlier encounters, they split up.

Meanwhile, Osgiliath had taken hard knocks, and I was just considering letting it fall, when the orcs began going straight past it to my unprotected cities!My strategy became: bombard the orcs as they pass and attack the Uruk Hai and Beserkers with Faramir whenever possible. Rohan was doing OK but was fully occupied with Isengard and it was only a matter of time before Sauron finished with Gondor and started attacking Rohan.

So, I sent Frodo and Sam on with the ring, made Pippin, Merry and Aragorn fully healed before I sent them out to destroy the rampaging orcs, and sent the rest of the fellowship, plus what's-his-name the leader of the rohirrim, in his army with 1 rohirrim, and all the remaining Rohirrim (ie1) to attack Isengard. It was a faliure. After a couple of turns I was not making any visible progress (fighting weaker units etc) so I ordered a retreat. What I forgot until I reached the end of my turn and saved, was that Legolas had ended his turn without retreating (he had his turn before I began retreating) and with 1 hp. Obviously he was killed and I lost the game:sad:

Flying nazgul grahpics is missing nazgul actually. It is more like a dragon. Similar graphics with nazgul riding the beast actually can be found in these forums (some LOTR mod).
To solve the hero being king problem (so they can upgrade) there is simple solution:
Make all heros normal, non-king, units. Make upgrades for them cost 100 population. This way you won't be actually able to build these units, however you can upgrade to them no problem. This way you won't lose game if your heros are killed.

Undead may be too powerful. Also they can battle all long during conflict which is inaccurrate. To fix that u could make undead cruise missile (destroyed after attacking) but spawn frequently. They could have stealth attack so you would use them strategically (chose target). Undead spawning wonder could become obsolete with some tech.

To solve the hero being king problem (so they can upgrade) there is simple solution:
Make all heros normal, non-king, units. Make upgrades for them cost 100 population. This way you won't be actually able to build these units, however you can upgrade to them no problem. This way you won't lose game if your heros are killed.

But you can begin to build them, only not finish them. Would the AI be able to cope with that?

But you can begin to build them, only not finish them. Would the AI be able to cope with that?

Dunno. However, even if AI starts building those, I think it also sometimes changes production before it's completed. This way shield accumulating would result in new unit the turn AI changed production.

When I tried to download it I got a messages saying it was unsafe to download and might harm your computer. Has anybody downloaded this mod recently and knows for sure if it is safe to download or not?

When I tried to download it I got a messages saying it was unsafe to download and might harm your computer. Has anybody downloaded this mod recently and knows for sure if it is safe to download or not?

the "normal" web browser by Microsoft regularly checks web sites and the stuff for updates -of which ı understand nothing. ı have tried , for ı am also a LotM nut and the same happened here . For such events ı use Google Chrome which seems to be more tolerant : take the URL and copy paste to Chrome . Though it's always good to be careful and use some anti-virus programs ; it could be harmful for real .

Sorry for the extreme necropost, but does anyone have the download file so that the mod can be saved for posterity? I'm trying to dload all of the mods I've played just in case.

Sorry for the extreme necropost, but does anyone have the download file so that the mod can be saved for posterity? I'm trying to dload all of the mods I've played just in case.
Sorry I'm 2 years late mate but good news, this mod has been rescued! I've been on the hunt for Civ scenarios relating to LOTR and saw that this was one of the big ones.

As previously posted sadly the 3D download for @ROTCWinter 's awesome old Lord of Middle Earth scenario has long been down (& takes you to some dodgy squatter page you don't want to be visiting unprotected) however thankfully I was donated a copy of it a while back! :)

I've tested it with my disc install of Civ3 (steam install users will need to modify label files) and it worked! This looks really really cool!!! I love all the custom GUI and terrain graphics.

I've repacked with 7zip (down to 94MB) and uploaded a copy of the mod to CivFanatics servers to preserve his work. Should @ROTCWinter return to CFC he can modify his OP download link (and also his CFC download page) for this mod to link to here instead of the long gone 3D one. EDIT: As part of the dead mod link rescue/replacement project I'm working on with Quintilius I've now edited the original thread post's download link for this mod to link to here instead of the long gone 3D one that was taking people to a dodgy page.
https://www.civfanatics.com/users/downloads/civ3/LordOfMiddleEarth.7z

Single player story mode:
upload_2020-9-6_1-20-15.png

Gondor!
upload_2020-9-6_1-20-27.png

Multiplayer mode:
upload_2020-9-6_1-25-47.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom