Lords of the Rising Sun

We will accept the Hojo recognition of our claims and titles. If you seek continued war, we will continue to prosecute it. And if you seek allies in the Takeda, we will seek allies of our own.
To the lord of Echigo:

Before there is any discussion of your terms, you must "purchase" an end to the war you have rekindled. This war is not some distant thing. It is here. it is now and soon it will engulf you.

What will you give Hojo to stop this war and so begin discussion of peaceful accommodation? Takasaki and Numata? Kotsuke Province? 40,000 koku?

The winter rains are ending and soon the tramp of marching soldiers will shake the cherry blossoms to fall like tears of blood upon your lands.

Urakami checking in.

Usuegi you speak as if we are not already at war. How are we sneak thiefs when we meet you in open battle? How are we treacherous for openly continuing our war with you? Do not impune our honor with you words when we have proved it again and again on teh field of honorable battle.

There is no surprise we are already at war so we attack. This is hardly surprising or sneaky. It plain obvious. You eyes may see, but your mind does not.

Dang it, the Asakura are NPCs. Would have been more interesting if they weren't :p

To: Asakura Yoshikage

We would like you to know that we consider you our greatest friends, and we were wondering if perhaps we could conclude an official alliance? Nothing in that direction has been finalised yet, but we believe it would be in the interests of both of us to look after each other's backs.

We look forward to a long future of cordial relations.

OOC: I tried so hard to get a player for them. Don't know why no one wanted to be them. They are in a good position to be fun. Oh well!

IC:

Asai Hisamasa,

Your words come at a time in which refugees from battles have come to our lands seeking peace.

And you deal with war with your southern neighbors the Rokkaku. Our friendship indeed continues, and should you need assistance against your enemies, we will surely answer your call.

We would like to know the specifics of the alliance you propose. Shall our armies join together on the battlefield, or will our assistance to each other be purely economic? I look forward to hearing your ideas.

- Asakura Yoshikage

Satake clan here! (and a bit late. Sorry kkmo)

OOC: Not quite sure how an economic alliance would work, but it sounds quite nice.

IC:

We would very greatly appreciate assistance in the form of more soldiers against the Rokkaku. We would also be willing to help you in whatever you need assistance with in the future.

To: Oda Nobunaga

We wish to express our hope that the arranged marriage between our son Nagamasa and your sister Oichi be completed as soon as circumstances allow.
We would be willing to lend you aid against the Saito once we have finished dealing with the Rokkaku, though we cannot guarantee that that will be soon.

We look forward to many years of friendship.

OOC: At this time, the Asakura friendship with you is much, much deeper than your friendship with the Oda. Friendship with Asakura has lasted for generations. As I said, it is basically an alliance, but without having officially been put into action against enemies of both clans. Asakura, anyway, doesn't have anything against Oda Nobunaga until much later, as Nobunaga hasn't even won Okehazama or vowed to march to Kyoto, which he won't do for another 5 years historically. Furthermore, the Asakura maintain decent relations with the Ikko-Ikki - not an alliance or anything, but moreso an agreement. And it isn't an "economic alliance", but they were asking if assistance would come in the form of monetary or material support - as in, do you need economic assistance/supplies against the Rokkaku, or just raw manpower? Anyway, you can edit the above post to include this information, as Asakura and Oda really aren't that at odds yet.

Right, I just read in the stats that they had given minor support to the Saito. Above post edited.

Recollections of the Daimyo of Uesugi Upon the Ending of Winter

It came to pass that as his army wintered in Kotsuke Province, having won much victory and acclaim, that Uesugi Kenshin, having recently taken on that noble name with his adoption into the Uesugi family, was taking his leisure upon the balcony of Numata castle. Accompanying him was two of his most trusted retainers, Usami Sadamitsu and Yasuda Nagahide. About the hilltop fortress, the snow is beginning to fall.

UESUGI, SEATED UPON THE BALCONY: As this castle of men is surrounded by the coldness of the snow covered land, so too is our world surrounded by the coldness of the outer oceans, and the lands of earth are surrounded by the coldness of the skies.

USAMI, CONTEMPLATING THE SNOWFALL BEFORE SPEAKING: When a man is slain in the snow, the heat from his body rises as steam. The world is cold, and it takes the warmth from strong men, in battle or with the slow decay of age. In this way, as in many others, balance is formed.

UESUGI NODS IN APPROVAL AT THE PIOUS STATEMENT OF USAMI.

YASUDA, REGARDING HIS LORD: Such thoughts upon the nature of the world are grave, my lord, and perhaps they come from some recollection of earlier times? Or perhaps there is some religious teaching you might reveal to us?

UESUGI CONTEMPLATES THE LAND AND THE SNOW, WHILE OBSERVING A DARK RIDER UPON A DISTANT RIDGE APPROACHING THE CASTLE WITH SOME NEWS: One of my earliest battles was upon a landscape such as this. I had almost forgotten it, as I was new come to my manhood. I had been called from the temple to put an end to my brother’s rule. Several of my men were passing through a forest between Nagaoka and Shibata. I believe, Sadamitsu, you were with me on this occasion.

USAMI NODS: Yes.

UESUGI CONTINUES: We came upon the estate of a man of the Nagao clan, a noted warrior, and a retainer of my brother. It was clear he remained at home, and therefore it was necessary that he die. I directed my men to run forward to the largest building, in hopes that they would find and kill this man.

YASUDA CONSIDERS THE STORY: This was your first battle?

UESUGI RESPONDS: My first true battle, yes. The first battle where I did not simply command, but fought and killed men. I recall the snow falling, late in winter, as it does on this very day. Stark black figures of samurai, traversing the bright sunlit snow, presented a clear portrait of the world. To be samurai is to be the black shadow on the snow, the brushstroke of ink upon the paper. One sets oneself apart from the world, to adhere to honor above pleasure, to adhere to duty above pride. Seeing these men run to kill and die on my orders, I understood what it was to be samurai. To be a bright flame in a cold world.

USAMI NODS A SECOND TIME: I had heard from the monks at the temple that the fourth son of Nagao Tamekage was exceptional, and I chose to pledge myself to the boy. But it was on this day of which you speak that your future promise became clear to me, my lord.

UESUGI ACCEPTS THE PRAISE WITH HUMILITY AND GOOD GRACE: I heard the sounds of battle and of gathering reinforcements coming upon the hall from out of my vision. I did not wait. I charged forward followed by my closest retainers, sweeping around the largest hall in two groups and driving the reinforcements back to the outbuildings. The man of my clan who supported my brother was captured, but his fight was honorable, and he resisted greater numbers which possessed the strength of surprise. He insisted that he be allowed to commit seppuku on behalf of my brother Harukage. Knowing his influence, wisdom, and long life of honor, I informed him that his fealty now belonged to a different lord, who did not grant such permission.

YASUDA IS APPRECIATIVE OF THE STORY RECOUNTED BY HIS DAIMYO: You are a wise judge, my lord.

UESUGI ELABORATES AND CONCLUDES: Upon this day, the snows which had proceeded without abatement for several months changed quickly to rain, washing the red stains of blood from the snow. As the curtain of white was replaced by grey, I noted how this battle occurred at the changing of the seasons. My life advanced from that of a boy to that of a daimyo. Furthermore, the cleansing rain represented the promise of cleansing renewal, and of spring that brings new life forth after death. All is of the design of Bishamonten: My victory upon that day, and all victories to come.

AS LORD UESUGI FINISHES HIS STORY, HIS RETAINERS MURMUR IN SURPRISE TO SEE THAT JUST AS IN THE TALE, THE SNOWS ABOUT THE CASTLE HAVE BEGUN TO CHANGE TO RAIN. THE STORY WILL SPREAD THROUGH THE UESUGI ARMY AS A GOOD OMEN FOR THE FUTURE CAMPAIGN.

OOC: Thlayli, your entry above is excellent and a pleasure to read. I particularly enjoy your use of Japanese aesthetics, such as seasonal references and the virtue of humility. Well done. To T_F: Asakura's support to the Saito is only in name. It was very little in reality.

IC:

To Asai Hisamasa,

We have considered carefully and have agreed to assist you, though perhaps not until the summer of this year. We do not have many troops to spare, though we can certainly assist you in the form of supplies and logistical aid. What men we can spare will come with this mid-year relief. May Hachiman shine fortune upon your warriors.

To: Satake Yoshiaki
From The Lord of Hojo

We thank you for your wisdom and will treasure it. In recompense, we will send gifts.

Exalted Chokei of the Miyoshi Clan,

The Urakami clan of Bizen Province genuinely seek your friendship and support, and are prepared to reciprocate as needed. We are no located no more than a day's journey away by boat and can easily exchange ours resources in your harbors and yours in ours . We can also ferry our unoccupied cohorts to your island to assist you in any disputes you may have with your neighboring lords. In short, we seek a natural, not a contrived, partnership for the continued survival of both of our clans. Should you entertain thoughts of running over our realm at any point, then do not respond to our envoy and carry on without friends in this unrelenting and unforgiving land.

Your equal,

Urakami Munekage

To noble Munekage of the Urakami Clan

Seeing as honor does not dictate our advances westward we gladly accept your proposal and open our ports to your ships.

To T_F: Asakura's support to the Saito is only in name. It was very little in reality.
I realise that now :p

To Asai Hisamasa,

We have considered carefully and have agreed to assist you, though perhaps not until the summer of this year. We do not have many troops to spare, though we can certainly assist you in the form of supplies and logistical aid. What men we can spare will come with this mid-year relief. May Hachiman shine fortune upon your warriors.

We are happy with whatever you can send. We thank you very greatly.

Top Bottom