Massive Earthquake and Tsunami strikes Japan

No, because there is a pride element involved. The Christian humbles himself because he is nothing before his Creator. The Japanese humbles himself when his pride is wounded through defeat, and attempts to restore it.
Good point, also Christians didn't have the rampant xenophobia

The thing is, the more time passes, the less likely a meltdown will occur. Each passing second means more the of rod's energy is dissipated, more of Japan's infrastructure is put back online, and more information is provided to the people on the field. If a meltdown was gonna happened, it was most likely right after the cooling systems failed.

Those rods have been in the cooling ponds for years, in some cases decades. And yet they can still boil off all the cooling water if it isn't replenished. So every day that passes doesn't diminish the risk by a measurable amount.

Killing all of the Jewish and Muslim residents of cities you conquer is also Xenophobia.

Correct on the greed part, though. I'd say Christians are a bit xenophobic, but far more greedy.

Killing all of the Jewish and Muslim residents of cities you conquer is also Xenophobia.

Correct on the greed part, though. I'd say Christians are a bit xenophobic, but far more greedy.

That happened in neither the Crusades or the Spanish Inquisition

The Inquisition only affected Christians

Crusades were fighting to have a safe path to the Holy Land

Pizarro and Cortes wanted fame and fortune

the American Indian Wars wanted land

That happened in neither the Crusades or the Spanish Inquisition

When Jerusalem was captured in the First Crusade, the Crusaders went around the city massacring Jews, Muslims, and also some Eastern Christians and anyone else they felt like killing.

The Inquisition only affected Christians

They went after the people who converted after Isabella expelled all the Jews and Muslims that were suspected of still having "heretic" beliefs.

Crusades were fighting to have a safe path to the Holy Land

While true, they still killed a bunch of people on the way.

Pizarro and Cortes wanted fame and fortune

the American Indian Wars wanted land

But there was also a lot of racism towards natives involved, you can't deny that.

When Jerusalem was captured in the First Crusade, the Crusaders went around the city massacring Jews, Muslims, and also some Eastern Christians and anyone else they felt like killing.

They went after the people who converted after Isabella expelled all the Jews and Muslims that were suspected of still having "heretic" beliefs.

While true, they still killed a bunch of people on the way.

But there was also a lot of racism towards natives involved, you can't deny that.

In every war there are rogue forces that commit transgressions

The Alhambra Decree did not expel Muslims

Be more specific. Do you deny Dar al-Islam and Dar al-Harb?

That was the result of Protestantism not Christianity

In every war there are rogue forces that commit transgressions

The Alhambra Decree did not expel Muslims

Be more specific. Do you deny Dar al-Islam and Dar al-Harb?

That was the result of Protestantism not Christianity

Yeah right...sorry to disturb your theological history lesson here.

Meanwhile, in Japan the engineers reports that they have successfully connected power to the main receiving point at the plant. There's still a lot of cabling to be done to connect it further to the damaged reactors, 1 through to 4. But reports say that the spent fuel rods at reactor 5 have started conventional cooling again as a result. Edit: Correction, number five is being cooled by the diesel pump and not the electrically powered one.

Reuters said:
"TEPCO has connected the external transmission line with the receiving point of the plant and confirmed that electricity can be supplied," the plant's operator Tokyo Electric Power Co said in a statement.

Another 1,480 meters (5,000 feet) of cable are being laid inside the complex before engineers try to crank up the coolers at reactor No.2, followed by numbers 1, 3 and 4 this weekend, company officials said.

If that works it will be a turning point.

"If they are successful in getting the cooling infrastructure up and running, that will be a significant step forward in establishing stability," said Eric Moore, a nuclear power expert at U.S.-based FocalPoint Consulting Group.

Source: Reuters

They've reconnected the power? that's probably the first bit of good news i can remember coming from that nuclear plant, i hope this is the beginning of them getting everything stabilised there, as for the workers, they are brave people, heroes in my opinion, i hope they get the satisfaction at least of having succeeded in averting a much bigger disaster.

It's not reconnected yet, and isn't there still the chance that the pumps themselves are damaged? That's what I heard.

It's not reconnected yet, and isn't there still the chance that the pumps themselves are damaged? That's what I heard.

It's a milestone in that the plant is connected to the grid. The power is not switched on yet, that's right. There was some confusing reports that the cooling in the undamaged building for the spent fuel rods at reactor number five was powered up. But that was later corrected to be the diesel generated pump. It's still good news though, even though TEPCO hasn't actually sent the electricity to the plant yet. I hope they can at least get the spent fuel rod pools at 5 and 6 further under control with electrically generated pumps.

But yeah, the hardest part remains in hooking up the power to the most damaged portion of the plant. It might be damaged beyond repair.

The pumps may be damaged from the explosions, or from the seawater. But I'm hoping at least one is workable enough to pump a little bit. Just any coolant flow will be beneficial.

Ugh, where I live in NorCal is going to get 10 days of rain

Hard to believe this thread has fallen to page 2. I was hoping someone could post some new news. I'm having trouble finding any current news on the Reactor or the pool conditions at the plant. It's like the news organizations forgot about Japan in their mad rush for Libya news coverage.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/19/japan.disaster/index.html?hpt=T2

this article does have some information. The interesting thing is they say the peninsula by the epicenter moved 17 feet and dropped by 4 feet. Pretty amazing stuff.

The only news I've heard from the reactors are small amounts of radiation in the water supply and food supply. Also I heard they are raising radiation limits to 250 milliseverts for the workers. I'm used to the REM/mr measurement, so it's difficult for me to relate to that number. But it equals 25 REM if I'm doing my conversion correctly. That's a lot of radiation. 500 could kill you (maybe around 50% death rate), and 1000 REM will most assuredly kill you.

From my local paper, I saw that there were "17,000 dead or missing." I just hope Japan pulls through after this crisis.

It's like the news organizations forgot about Japan in their mad rush for Libya news coverage.

Yeah, I'm kind of pissed off at that. One moment that suddenly forget Libya and go for Japan, then another moment once the nuclear thing dies down they forget Japan and go to Libya.

I'm really not sure all those Japanese survivors are going to be doing if this keeps up for weeks. From what I've heard, the infrastructure is still pretty bad.

G.E. was the designer of the no.3 reactor The MOX mk1 and thay also have alot of influance in media.
So if something real bad starts to happen, unless forced to report you can bet you will be lucky to see it reported in the back pages. So my guess is thay are staying quite while thay tally the damage and see what thay can spin. The current event has already hurt them. if it gets worse thay would want to keep it out of sight if thay can.
Alot of gov/corprate misdeeds are getting more play these days thanks to there being so many video/audio devices being around.

Hard to believe this thread has fallen to page 2. I was hoping someone could post some new news. I'm having trouble finding any current news on the Reactor or the pool conditions at the plant. It's like the news organizations forgot about Japan in their mad rush for Libya news coverage.

They say no news is good news.

Top Bottom