Mega Story II: The Unfreezing

Uneasy cease of hostilities between the Lanun and Grigori

The Grigori mainland having been lost, leaving only the colonies under the rulership of Mouar Esirce and her angelic ally, Comillo, the Lanun have sought to quickly finish the war by sending a massive fleet over the strait during a dark night with no moon or stars to reveal them to the clueless Grigori.

However, that very same darkness became the downfall of their sailors when the strait was enveloped in a magnificent storm, which beat the boats to twigs against one another and cost almost every Lanun sailor who was out that night his life; with no light to guide them or to orientate in the stormy wheather, even the proficient Lanun seamen were lost to the waves in large numbers.

It is unknown whether the storm was in fact the work of the Angel Comillo, but on both sides of the strait, a curious implicit agreement to not try and cross it again has arisen; perhaps the two peoples can live in peace, thus divided.​

Diary of Romutus, Balseraph explorer Part II
Spoiler :
5th of Summerage

I've been in nature all this time, charting, drawing and killing forest dwellers in exchange for my life. Surrounding lands are becoming more clear to me and soon to all Balseraphs.

Warbands of greenmen are a common sight these days. Hanube must have gotten attacked many times by them.I wish they are okay, otherwise my charting won't help anyone but me. That's okay too. These maps are so beautifull. Mayby i should keep them. No wait, i can't. Miiforius will make me suffer.

I still haven't found my companions. Forest must have taken them, because they were ugly. I am pretty, so forest likes me and grants me food.

7th of Summerage

My white make up that covered my face was gone after i went fishing. Now forest hates me.

8th of Summerage

I found a cave where i can hide from the forest. Now i am safe untill my stomach is angry. Perpentach told us that forest hates all ugly people. I wonder why does it? I don't hate ugly people, but i don't like them. I wouldn't kill someone just because he or she was ugly. Mayby i can talk to the forest and ask about why it hates ugly people. Forest has ugly trees. Balseraph cities have ugly people in them. What's the difference?

9th of Summerage

Forest is really angry. It sent a massive brown creature after me. I ran, but it came after me, panting and growling. I was so scared. It stopped following me after I descended into basement of a ruined house I found. I think i can still hear it though, walking around the ruined walls. What do I do?

The brown creature is gone now. I have to apologise to forest.

12th or 15th of Summerage

Im totally lost. I have no idea where have i ran from the area i charted. I hope this is south, because im heading to south. I think. If i am going to south, i should see walls of ancient Jubilee in no time. How exciting it will be! Glory of the Balseraphs will stand right before me, telling about great poets of the past, great shows and great life!

Cloudy day of Summerage

I keep seeing ruins more often then before. I must be getting close!

Nice day of Summerage

Oformi is back! He was resting on the ruined walls of Jubilee! Two flies with one strike! He told me that rest of the group had ran back to Hanube and he alone headed south to chart. He had assumed that i did the same. Miiforius will have their minds. Tomorrow we'll head further to the city and hopefully we'll find something to help our people in north.

Sorry about not posting. I've been having a few personal problems that I'm trying to work out. I have plans ready for my "comeback" which will probably be sometime this week or next. I'll be back shortly, once I solve a few problems, and I should have several plans ready to pull the trigger on. I'm working my best to get my problems sorted out and then this should pick back up. Just keep writing and try to continue onwards. I apologize for the delays, but thank you if you continue to write.

Oren Pass Target of Attack

The Oren Pass, the only pass that leads into the valley that the Nortek have settled in, is going to soon be under attack by Vorug Tombslay's hordes. Makeshift palisades and heavy boulders were moved into place, mostly at the top of steep hills, where they can be used as cover or used as a last minute defense by rolling the boulders down the hills. The Nortek are outmatched and most likely out-teched due to the rapid conquering of several cities by Tombslay. Deremei Diranth has taken his place at the top of the palisade with his bow and arrow, watching diligently for any threats to his brothers and sisters, the Goblin nation of Nortek. As the hordes of Tombslay move closer, working themselves into the frenzy known for their kind. The Nortek await the arrival of their enemies with pessimistic feelings and the feeling of dread.​

(OOC - sorry for my lack of being online at all recently. I'm back now though :D Updated map coming soon. Please tell me where your new cities are, and I will place them in, if not, you will just get a couple of random cities.)

[Elohim]
They said it couldn't be done, but it looks like we proved them Amurite mages wrong! For, finally, we Elohim priestesses have refined Glowgrass into its dusts! And, now, we can use this for our advantage! For Sirona, we will spread enlightenment!

Second Elohim City founded just off the coast. A place of majestic towers, as ornate as they are practical, Lunai is the cultural hotspot of the Elohim civilization.

(During my absence, the Elohim have set up a couple of towns, and developed an unique civilization skill.)

Glass-Crafting is a skill first practiced by the high-up priests, as a way to carry enchantments for long distances and times without their effects dimming.
Now widely used throughout the Elohim world for many different applications, such as lighting, and more recently, healing, for the blessed water from the sacred river can be infused with enchantments as it flows through any enchanted glass.

Spoiler :
Deremei stared into the mass of green bodies before him, bulging with muscle and thirsty for blood. This is was not the Nortek Clans, but the Tombslay Horde. The Nortek were on constant alert, constantly paranoid of the beginning of the war. The Tombslay Horde stayed in their encampments for days, sending out small parties to harass the Nortek warriors.
Several of the Orcs ahead of them wielded specially crafted Nortek swords, crafted with a curve and a needle-like point, a small metal cage on the handle to protect the hands of the warriors. Each sword was as unique as the Goblin that owns it. The swords are crafted with shamans in attendance, allowing for the flow of blank mana into the metal of the sword. These swords can then be inscribed by the owner of the sword. Religious notations, personal beliefs, signs of Goblin Gods such as Grishnar and Greeklak, the Goblin Gods of War and Defense.
However, the Nortek knew how to counter these weapons, allowing for the Nortek to have a slight advantage in the melee field, not to mention the rows of archers sighting down their arrows, all pointed at a designated target. The Wolf Rider cavalry stay hidden in caves to the East and West of the pass, waiting for the signal of battle to fill out their plan. Chances of victory were slim, but Deremei had done all he could to equip his men against what seemed like an endless Horde. Green, muscular, sweaty body upon body, pushing forward towards what could be described as the battle line. It was known as the "battle line" simply because neither force was willing to cross it without orders.
The Orcs on the other side were beginning to build their bloodrage, causing some to enter a frenzy and attack the closest thing to them, usually another Orc. Deremei grinned as his first plan was beginning to work. Use the Orc bloodlust against them and cause dissension before the war began. This gave his men more time to fortify the pass. The boulders had been hoisted to the top of the hills, ready to roll down on unsuspecting Orcs. Wooden barricades meant to slow down the advancing troops and force them into a funnel where they would be attacked on all sides. Archers had hiked the high mountains and had dug in, certain that this was their best chance of helping the battle. Arza Kinslaughter was outside the Oren Pass, 1-2 miles east of the opening into the pass. Once Arza saw the signal, he and 100s of Wolf Riders would storm into the enemy flanks. The secondary line behind the funnel was the remaining Ogres they could find. While they counted just five, it was an advantage they were prepared to use. The Ogres seemed to look up to an unfortunately named Ogre named Ung Rockmate, who thus became the de-facto leader of the Ogre platoon. These Ogres will remain behind the funnel in case it is overwhelmed. The plan with the Ogres is to possibly instill some fear in the weak-hearted Orcs in the Tombslay Horde.
As the battle draws ever closer, both sides are beginning to become edgy, waiting for one or the other to make the move that will decide the future of the Nortek.

And old story but it will have relevance to MSII.

Spoiler :
It was nearing dusk as the Hippus platoon neared the summit. "Tell me again, Sarge. Why just the eleven of us? Our target is a demon. A demon sorceress, no less! What good can we do?" Sergeant Celdin stopped and turned to look at the complaining soldier. "Because, Tistan, it's one demon. We're Hippus. Hippus blood is strong. Hippus blood is superior. What can one demon do against eleven pure-bred Hippus soldiers?"
Tistan sighed and continued his pace up the hill. Private Lacht turned to Tistan and put his arm around him. "Don't worry your balls off, lad. All we have to do is take this witch's head and we get more money than the king of Evermore. We can handle this." Celdin looked up towards the sky and called for the platoon to halt. "It's getting dark, men." Bella cleared her throat and glared at Celdin. "And woman. We need to find a place to camp for the night. We can continue up the mountain in the morning." The platoon entered a nearby cave and lit a small fire with the meager supplies of wood they could find. They arranged rocks around the fire and soaked in the warmth. "Hey, Sarge." Celdin turned to Arnst. "Yes, soldier?" "Who is this demon we're after, anyway?" "Aye. It's a long story. Are you sure you wish to hear the tale?" All the soldiers leaned in closer with eager ears. "Very well. It's a story of blood, lust, and vengeance. Enough to make an Elohim monk faint."
Celdin pulled his fur coat closer and began the story. "The demon we're after is named Warell. Of course, that wasn't always her name. Before she was known as Lawler. A beautiful lass. Long brown hair, soft pale skin. Lips that could drive a man crazy with lust. I would say she was almost as beautiful as Bella here if you don't mind me saying. Aye..I would have had wedded her on the spot if I had met her..She fell in love with a man, though. When she was about 17 winters old. We all know the man, he is our king. King Tasunke. She was enthralled by the man and wished for nothing but to feel his embrace. Tasunke himself had noticed the lass and had taken her to his bed chambers. Only they know what happened there. Over the next few days, Lawler became increasingly promiscuous, having lost her rose to our king. She had affairs with many of the men in the village. The whole town knew what the lass was doing and cast her out of the village for they felt that such adultery should not be in their town. She wandered for days..Weeks..Eventually the land began to change. The grass started to die and the earth itself began to crack and wither. She saw in the distance a large city with walls higher than she had seen before adorned with spikes.
"She had entered this city. It was the Infernal city. Gehenna. She settled down there, found solace in women such as herself. One day she was summoned to Dis by Hyborem himself. From what we can gather she had entered his throne room and was instantly possessed. The demon, having no name, created its own name. An abomination of her own..Warell..Since then she learned the dark arts of necromancy and the ability to control fire at her will. Every now and then she demanded a child sacrifice, saying it would help her in her rituals. In truth, she was just hungry for flesh for the demon inside her had corrupted her to wickedry. She had set her sights on her former village. The village of Manar Gandar. The survivors that arrived at Altheriol-ta-Mealthiel described horrors. She rained fire upon the village, spread pestilence among the livestock and children. She raised the corpses of the dead from their graves and commanded them to slaughter their former friends and family. The village was destroyed, burned to the ground with few survivors. From there she traveled to the summit of a mountain. This very mountain. And it she that we seek."
The platoon was quiet as they looked into the fire and contemplated the task ahead. They all silently lied on their bed rolls and fell asleep after some time. Their dreams were nightmares, visions of death and chaos. Their family members ripped limb from limb and children screaming and crying as their skin was stripped off their bodies. They all awoke drenched in sweat, breathing heavily and giving thanks to Tali that it was but a dream. They packed their stuff and looked up at the path they had to take. "Looks like a long way up, Sarge. Are you sure we can make it?" Celdin looked to Ekar and nodded. "Yes, I'm sure we can. There are plenty of rocks jutting out of the sides. We can use them as handholds to get to the summit. Molua, Keban, Konla. You're the fastest, take point. We'll be behind you."
As the soldiers began to climb the side of the mountain they swore they felt the very earth shake. "Sarge. Sarge, I don't think it's supposed to do this!" "Stay calm, Temdain. Just hold on tight and don't look down." Ronell misplaced his foot and began to fall to the ground below. He reached his hand out and grabbed a hold of a rock jutting out of the side and let himself hang there for a while, catching his breath. "You ok there, Ronell?" asked Tistan. "Aye. I'm ok. Just misplaced my foot. I'll be fi-" He was cut off as the mountain shook and the rock he was holding fell out of the mountain, sending Ronell plummeting to the jagged rocks below. The rest of the soldiers held on the best they could, but Temdain fell as well, unable to grab enough rocks as they fell out of the mountain. The shaking soon stopped and the soldiers cursed Agares for taking their men.
"They were good men." said Celdin. "But we must continue. We can't let their deaths be in vain. Come, let's kill this witch." The soldiers began to climb faster and finally reached the summit. The stood in awe of the view in front of them. A large altar carved out of stone, stained with blood and surrounded by severed heads on pikes. "Have the Gods no mercy?" muttered Tistan as he gaped in horror at the sight before him. Just then, a dark figure lunged out from behind a rock at Tistan and pulled out a curved dagger. Tistan drew his sword and sliced through the foe in front of him only for it to disappear. "It's an illusion! It wasn't her! She's here somewhere.." Tistan circled slowly attempting to find the demon when the point of a dagger protruded from his throat. The dagger was pulled out and he fell to the ground holding his throat and bleeding to death.
Bella and Arnst turned to see a woman standing over the body of Tistan holding a bloody dagger. Her dress, which used to be white now drenched in red, was tattered and exposed parts of her flesh meant only to be seen by lovers. She screeched at the soldiers as fire burst forth and raced towards the soldiers. The men were able to leap out of the way of the flames, but Bella was caught in the middle. She stumbled around, screaming, trying to put out the flames only to fall to the earth and lie still. Warell looked to Arnst as he began to rush for the demoness until he stopped in his tracks. He dropped his sword and shield and held his head as he screamed in agony. Blood began to pour from his eyes and nose before he fell to the ground. Molua and Keban lunged at Warell and swung their swords at her. She parried Keban's sword with her dagger, but was given a slice from Molua's sword. She grabbed Molua by the throat and his throat began to shrivel and turn a sickly green. He gasped for air and grabbed at her hand before falling limp and being tossed aside.
Celdin raced towards the demoness and slashed at her with his sword, cutting her across the stomach. She raked her nails across his back, leaving large gaping streaks. Ekar attempted to use this distraction and swung his mace towards the demoness's head, but was stopped short when the body of Molua grabbed his mace and threw it aside. Molua screeched at Ekar and swung his fist at him. Ekar grabbed Molua's head and snapped it quickly to the left and dropped the lifeless body only to have Warell's hand plunge through his chest. In his dying moments he looked down and saw her hand holding his still beating heart before falling to the ground. Lacht, who up until now was too scared to do anything, now lunged for Warell. He swung his sword wildly, missing every time. After a final failed swing Warell dragged her claws through Lacht's stomach and he fell to the ground as he entrails fell out of his wound.
Celdin had regrouped with Keban and Konla by this point and was trying to formulate a plan. Warell stood in front of them soaked in blood with her teeth bared. Keban ran at her from the left as Konla ran at her from the right, both with their swords pointed at the demoness. Warell lunged forward and the two soldiers collided, impaling each other on their swords. Celdin let out a loud roar and ran at the distracted demoness. They toppled over the side of the mountain and the last thing Celdin saw was the jagged rocks below quickly coming towards him.

Off: Sorry for not posting often. Too much work :-(

Under an iron sky - II

Spoiler :
The unnamed city, if the ragtag houses, huts and lumber barricades really deserved this honoured term, was burning. Urian Goldmane, chieftain of Clan Goldmane and acting General of the Kuriotate Armed Forces in “the North”, watched it with a strange mixture of grim satisfaction and sincere regret. Satisfaction, because the fall of this Orcish stronghold virtually meant the end of the constant warfare against the greenskinned intruders in the Kuriotate borderlands. And regret because of the lives lost to achieve this, the souls send to whatever fate awaited them beyond the veils of Mazera. He mourned both Kuriotate and Orc lives lost today, for all life was precious to the cult of Amathon the Creator. With a sigh he touched the golden scale he had been given by a courier mere weeks ago. A gift from Young King himself. There was power in it, more than just the influence it granted him. But Goldmane was a centaur fighter, not a mage or priest. He could not fathom what the scale really meant. Except that the courier had advised him, claiming to quote the King word by word, to wear the scale at any time of both day and night.
Goldmane would have been a fool indeed to disobey such an order.

But now was not the time to contemplate any of this. After the demise of his former superior, the honoured Chietain-General Bowbreaker, due to a poisoned arrow three days ago, he was in charge of the forces. And though this battle, hopefully even this entire war, were soon to be over, he yet had work to do, orders to give.
“Assemble the prisoners, all who have surrendered” (there were by far too few of those)”on the field west of the city. I want them under close guard. From both sides, you got me? And tell the priests of Amathon and Lugus to take a look at them, mend their injuries were possible. The Sironites are to help our own. They may join their...colleagues afterwards. And have some spare food and blankets distributed among them. Show them we mean not to butcher them.”

The aide he had spoken to, a young Centaur with redish-brown hair and eyes, seemed not altogether pleased with this orders. Goldmane noted he was wearing the Sigil of the “Dragon Defiant”. Those batches, showing an golden dragon roaring on his hind legs on a black field instead of the common purple one. They had appeared about two weeks ago among the “men” . The gods alone knew where they came from, what their actual purpose was or who was behind it. They had bobbed up apparently without system, being worn by soldiers of all manner of rank, race and unit. The bearers claimed they were wearing it “to show their loyalty to the true ways of the Kuriotate”. Whatever that meant.
High command had chosen not to do anything about it just now. No need to cause unrest among the ranks before a fight.
“Do it now!” he bellowed at the young stallion. The youngling trotted away and Goldmane turned around just to find the most unexpected sight he could have imagined waiting patiently for him to do just that. A charcoal-haired human woman in her early thirties in the levry of an royal courier. Her breeches and boots, even her face, were liberally sprinkled in mud and she showed every sign of having ridden hundreds of miles in a fracture of time. Around her neck, the woman wore a distinct golden object, very much like the one he had pressed against his chest beneath his copper harness.
“His magnificence Cardith Lorda, Lord Protector of Kwythellar and Naggagrond, King of the tribes and people of the Kuriotate, sends his best regards and his most joyful congratulations about your victory here. He has new orders for you. You are to dispatch two full divisions north. After a four-day march, your men will reach a city made entirely of ore and other metals. There is already a small Kuriotate presence there. However, the city is disputed. Your men are to ensure that the place falls to us. By diplomacy if possible. By strength of arms if not.” The women watched him carefully with her pitchblack eyes, like a bird of prey would watch a rabbit.

It was not to Goldmanes liking.
“King Lorda? Are you lying this plainly, strange woman? We ended this fight only hours ago. There is no way on Mazera news could have reached the King of any of this. Who are you to be both so stupid and so dashing?”

The woman stayed calm, altogether to calm for any human when yelled at by a Centaur three heads taller. She merely held up the golden scale and answered.
“By the insignia of the order both you and I belong to you know I am not lying. My name is Morvena Black, though you probably know me under the name of Blackraven.”

“Blackraven?” Goldmane interjected, “as in Blackraven, the assassin? You are sought by the Kwythellar City Guard.”

“I know.” Blackraven retorted, grinning coldly, “Being part of the Vanguard grants me immunity, though. As to how the Young King knew of...this I have not a clue. Fact is he did...three days ago, in effect. Ordered me to journey here as fast as possible and inform you. By the way: You may place witchever Officers you please in charge of the two northbound divisions. Just make them comprehend they are obeying my orders...”

Off: Sorry for not posting often. Too much work :-(

That's perfectly fine. You may have noticed I've bee preoccupied by personal things. This at least gives me the opportunity to do what I wanted to do.

If you have an "heroes" (ie: A unit with the adventurer promo since that's what s notable person is) please list them and give a short description of that character, then PM it to me for privacy. The characters will be kept on one of the first 4 posts. If there is a certain character you'd like to be a hero, put a * next to their name, but only ONE hero. Wouldn't want to flood people with heroes. Hopefully, it'll help keep the characters straight and it'll help relieve the weird OCD moment I'm having. Anyway, if you could do that it would be greatly appreciated.

Extra: I may even give the Hero promotion to those I deem worthy, which makes there actions have a larger impact on the world. I hope this all makes sense.

Diary of Romotus, Balseraph explorer Part III
Spoiler :
I don't know which day it is anymore. The time spent while exploring ruins of Jubilee have taken my sense of time. Much of the grand city has remained intact: many of houses are still standing even after the harsh winter had tried to break them down. But now Jubilee is quite a park. Plants and trees have started to grow through old streets. Vines crawl on the walls and holes in streets have gathered puddles from the last rain.
Im not sure if Miiforius had intended us to spend a lot of time in these ruins, but the echoes of the past glory have kept us tightly chained here. Im absolutely sure that I can hear the people of old times screaming of joy and amusement while watching marvelous plays and performance. Such amazing times they must have been. I wish I had lived then.
We've taken shelter in an old building with a lot of books. Oformi and i have started reading some of them. They all are stories of our past, but the books we found on one section are spellbooks. This one I found is particularly intresting: it tells about magic that can make people see things that really aren't there. The text is really hard to read, but the pictures explain what that text can't. They are really nice pictures. Perpentach would want one of these.

The greenskins came to Jubilee today. I and Oformi killed few of them while running from the city. I was nearly killed nearly too, when this really big one caught up to me and smashed me to ground. I couldn't move because i was so scared and weak, but then i thought of that book i mentioned, did what what was told in it and thought of what i would do to that brute if i was stronger than it. The brute greenskin started screaming and ran away! Hah! What a weakling! I jumped up and started dancing in pure joy. I was no weakling anymore. I was strong. I am strong.
Oformi and i are returning to north, to Habanu through a different route we came so that we can chart some more area. When we return, we'll return as heroes. Two heroes returning with a map that will guide us to rebuild glorious Jubilee! There'll be statues made for me and Oformi and songs to be sung, but what if statues were made only for me and songs sung to me only? If i would return alone, everyone would think me as a hero who conquered all the odds while his companions died in his hands. Songs would echo even louder, choruses with my name on them. What could be better?
I am stronger now. I could kill Oformi and become hero of Balseraphs alone. I'll use the spell i've learned. I'll make him so scared, then i'll finish him off. Mayby it's a bit cruel after all we've been through, but what wouldn't a man do for a good show?

OOC: Ok, my personal problems are beginning to clean up. Since I know at least one of you is curious, my antidepressants stopped working so we had to find a new one. However, I'm feeling much better and I should be able to write more stories in the future. Also, take a look at Tarkar Merek's Journal.

Spoiler :
A battle horn sounded, as the Tombslay Horde was ready to begin their charge into the hastily constructed defenses of the Nortek. They let out a loud roar, signaling further to the Nortek that the battle had finally begun. Archers from atop the hills aimed their arrows at the knees of the oncoming horde. With every accurate hit the archers made, an Orc fell, trampled by his people and possibly tripping further Orcs to their deaths. The forward scouts had reported that Tombslay was not in the vicinity, which made things slightly difficult because they now had the task of trying to identify the leader of this assault. As more Orcs fell and were trampled the numbers of the enemy decreased a small amount. It was not a lot, but the Nortek need every advantage they can get against this Horde.
Arza Kinslaughter had organized his wolf riders once he heard the battle horn. They stalked carefully out of their caves and around the mountain to scout how many Orcs there were before beginning the assault. Arza decided that the upper-right flank was by far the most vulnerable and therefore a good place to strike. The Wolf Riders, even the wolves themselves, growled in anticipation as the rest of the Orcish enemy entered the funnel, their signal. They charged out of the caves with their La'Shirs, ready to stab from the back of their life-long wolf. Many would die, but it was for the greater good of the Nortek.
Boulders came rumbling down from the hills onto the unsuspecting horde beneath them. Several Orcs were crushed, others injured or pinned beneath the boulders, rendering them ineffective in the battle. Yuler Madburner, grandson of Mojin Madburner, called to his troops and and took his Rawr'La, a curved longsword, similar to the La'Shir, but this weapon was meant for slicing, instead of stabbing. They were going to attack the weakened left flank due to the movement of troops to the right flank to deal with the Wolf Riders. Several Goblins volunteered, seeking revenge and salvage from the Horde. Among the men was Inka Bloodear, son of Lop Bloodear, the man that built the city of Atlibor on the largest trading route there was, known as the Marble Road, Well, before the freezing.
The news from the front line was less than discouraging. Half of the Silentkill Clan was wiped out, not including Ras. It was likely that may need to move their move to their capitol and try to withstand a siege. However, Deremei refused to do, The Orcs aren't stupid, at least not as stupid as they seem. And this Vorug Tombslay, he seemed like a notch above his fellows, just like Deremei himself Looking down upon the fighting he could see the 7 surviving Ogres, commanded by Ung Rockmate,
plundering into the battle, taking spears and arrows, but continuing to storm forward and kill any in their way.
Ung Rockmate swung his stone club at another Orc before two more jumped on his back. His fellow ogres were able to remove the abominations and give them a slow, crushing death. Rockmate was soon trekking through the jungle once again, heading to a recently-discovered camp. Hiding in the bushes, they both watched the Orcs attempt to put together a weapon they claimed would end this conflict. Gretchins were chopping at trees, sometimes with their very own hands, and dragging the woods towads a contraption the Orcs were working up. After time watching the construction, it became apparent that it was a catapult and that the Nortek city needed to be warned.
Ranji Deerfoot was chosen for the task of running to the capitol city of Oren, through the Oren Pass and to the Goblin King, Deremei Diranth. Speeding through the branches and vines of the jungles against of him, he had to press on, possibly for the future of the Nortek as the Nortek had no such technology that was openly available. Ranji tripped over a hidden brance but was soon back on his feet. His feet ached, his legs cried for mercy, but he kept running. He could rest when Deremei Diranth knew the danger that faced them.

Spoiler :
Ranji reached the feet of Deremei Diranth and delivered his message before an arrow pierced his heart. Bodyguards around Deremei swarmed around their leader and held their shields to the skies to deflect the arrows. Deremei and his contingent of bodyguards ran to the walls and hid among the stone walls that surrounded the cities. Above and around them Goblins and Orcs died as steel was plunged into flesh and blood poured onto the ground. The archers on the walls were attempting to aim for the Orcs, but with the heated melee it was hard to pick friend from foe.
Deciding that ranged combat would be impossible in this arena, many of the archers jumped from the walls onto the enemy using nothing but their bows, some stabbing with arrows from their quiver, and some of the more frenzied used their own teeth, but it did not avail to much. Orcs fell and died, trampled by the Orcs behind them eager to push forward and fight. Rocks were thrown at the wooden doors of Oren and cracks and splinters appeared on the door. Goblins on the inside of the walls began to put wooded planks against the doors in an attempt to keep them closed.
Behind the Orcish line came a loud roar as four Ogres came lumbering into the fight, led by Ung Rockmate. The battle behind them took a turn for the better as a rock slide, caused by Org Thunderfall, an Ogre warrior, crushed many Orc warriors and created a natural defensive point for the Nortek to hold their attackers at bay. The Silenkill Clan, by far the leader of the current conflict, roared their allegiance to Deremei and began charging to the rear of the Tombslay Horde. Orcs at the back of the Horde turned to fend off this onslaught of Goblins and the leader of the Horde let out a loud roar. Several loud roars answered this call as dozens of Orcs came thundering out of the trees to the sides of the battle field.

Deremei sensed the moral of his warriors beginning to wane as the Tombslay Horde began to push forward, gaining ground and taking lives. His men were close to breaking formation and deserting. Deremei looked at the ground closest to the palisade and saw Ras Silentkill fighting off a horde of Orcs with the rest of the Silentkill Clan, but they were in the losing proposition. Deremei ordered some of the men on the palisades to leap onto the enemy, but they refused. Deremei growled in frustration, grabbed his La'Shir, a curved dagger with a jagged end on the other side, from its holster and leapt over the palisade in a sea of green bodies. Seeing their leader fearlessly leap into the horde, the men followed in suit, taking the Orcs by surprise by coming from above. Deremei landed on the shoulders of an Orc and slit its throat. As the Orc began to fall and die, Deremei leapt from its shoulders and into the fray with the Silentkill Clan.

After seven hours of battle, there lie hundreds of green bodies on the plains of Oren county. Tombslay's Horde lay slaughtered to the final Orc as the Nortek Goblins searched the bodies for their own, hoping for more survivors. Ras Silentkill, who had been hailed as a hero of what was being called the "Battle of Oren", made it his personal mission to find his leader, dead or alive. Ung Rockmate, one of only three Ogres to remain after the bloody battle, was lifting rocks too heavy for Goblins and moving them to harmless places. In the center of the battle field, among dozens of Orc bodies, Deremei's eyes opened and he stirred slightly. A dagger had pierced his thigh and he had lost blood, but he would live. Ras, seeing his leader alive, ran to Deremei and roared with joy. The rest of the surviving Nortek let out a responsive roar as the Nortek had won the Battle of Oren.

OOC: Mind updating the first post that im in controll of Balseraphs? Thanks!
My next part of Romotus' story will be written in ordinary writing style and not as in diary.

Confortation
Spoiler :

Hanube, Perpentach's royal palace
"We are sorry your g-g-great greatness, lord Perpentach, but the wilderness was against us like water to fire!" Hazunis' voice shook and he was more scared than ever. Perpentach smiled at him like a mother to a child that had just spilled the beans all over table, but this mother was far less forgiving. Hazunis knew this and that's why he was in great fear.
"It's true your great greatness! We ran into greenmen and we got seperated and... And all of us got killed expect expect I and Hazunis" Kakkadh added.
Miiforius was standing behind Perpentach's throne with his arms crossed. He was not pleased at their failure, he was almost as scared as they were, for Perpentach's judgement could also affect him and his life. Perpentach had found out about failure to chart the south and now he was going to punish.
The king of Balseraphs rose from his throne, his smile widened into a grin and he burst out laughing.
"A rabbit runs from her home, flying away from controll
she thinks it is free, more fences fall down
but she does not realise that she took a carrot with her.
From her home."
Whole room freezes as Perpentach pronounces his poetic words.
"From her home", Perpentach repeats, points his decorative scepter at Hazunis and Kakkadh and a bright purple beam bursts out of the scepter. The beam splits into two and hits both terrified Balseraph explorers. They scream in pain as their flesh slowly melts away.
Miiforius backed down in terror, untill Perpentach turned his gaze to him. He freezes in place and his whole life flashes in front of his eyes, just like he had been told. But Perpentach does not kill him. He lowers the scepter and stares at Miiforius with a serious look. "I still need you here guarding those carrots" Perpentach's serious look quickly turns to a smile. "Those orcs they told about are soon here. Get your royal clowns ready."
"Y-yes your great greatness! I swear I won't let any of orcs pass our lines!"

Wilderness

Oformi woke up. Sun hadn't risen yet, but the birds had started singing. He was in tent with Romotus, who was still sleeping. He couldn't sleep so his mind started to wander. In many nights spent in this tent he hadn't noticed how beautifull the colorfull shapes on tent were. It was colorfull like this inside the tent, but outside part was painted so that orcs couldn't spot it as easily as when it had same style as inside the tent.
It had been a very long and tough journey. Now it was nearing it's end. He and Romotus would be declared as heroes. Perpentach would be more than pleased to hear that the old capital was in better shape than expected. His favour would make rest of their lives easy. Oformi could dedicate rest of his years in aiding his daughter to success. He had no heirs, so his farm would be sold after his death, unless he would deem his daughter's fiance suitable and then grant the farm to him. Power. That's what he wanted.
Rustling bedsheets of Romutus caused him to come back to his senses. "Morning."
"Well good morning there!" Romutus replied in a happy tone.
"It's a really beautifull day out there. Really good to claim some fame huh?"
"You think we are going to reach our lands today?"
"Well, one part of it, that's for certain" Romutus smiled and looked Oformi to eyes for a while.
They packed everything and left to north.
There was something different about Romotus today. He was clearly celebrating something, but Oformi couldn't think of anything. They were nowhere near Hanube, he knew that for certain. Could he be celebrating his birthday? No, he had lost track of days like he had long time ago. Oformi reached decission that he was planning some sort of surprise and that's not like him. Romotus had done his charting quietly and never done anything out of ordinary, but now he was smiling at the trees and humming some songs that children sing. He was just waiting to startle me with his surprise. Something had happend to him during the time spent in Jubilee. The tomes he red... Something could have been in them. The thought of the sudden surprise grew more and more harder to bear and his humming couldn't help it. The songs kept going louder and louder. He was mocking me. He was mocking me for being stupid to not to realise what he was planning. How could I realise it? There's no way i could tell what was going on in that insane mind of his. He had been a good friend so far, but today the way he acted was driving me crazy. What was he planning? What if this surprise was a bad thing?
"Hey Oformi, what if I would eat the apple alone?" I didn't even hear all what Romotus said. At the mere moment when he opened his mouth, I snapped. I turned around quickly, rushed towards him and took a hold of his throat.
"What is wrong with you Romotus? What are you planning?!"
"I-i-i...I was just going to give you an apple. I've been saving it."
This was what he had been planning?
"You are pathetic! You've got something dark in your mind, Im certain of it."
"No, you've got it all wrong. I was only..."
I should have sensed what he was planning. Just after that I heard a bear growling behind me and it was charging towards me. I smashed Romotus to ground and ran as fast as i could, but I knew I couldn't outrun a bear. I drew my blade and faced the lord of the forest. My blade cut it's head a few times. It kept trying to claw me, but I dodged it each time. It almost seemed as I was going to win, untill I felt a dagger in my back. It was Romotus.
After that the bear just vanished into air. It had been just a Romotus' mind trick. He must have learned it during our time in the ruins of Jubilee. He bursted out laughing and singing. This was cruel. A man like him was soon to become hero of my people. I might as well wipe that smug out of his face, because it will be the last thing I do.
The sword flew from Oformi's throw and slashed Romotus' face from forehead to chin. That would leave a mark. That scar will remain in his face for rest of his days, but noone but him will know the truth behind it.
Romotus left Oformi to die in forest. He managed to stop the bleeding and the panic attack he suffered, then returned to Hanube while avoiding orc invaders. There he was made a hero just as he had thought. The maps pleased Perpentach and because of it Romotus was granted controll of his own small army. With them he defends Balseraph territory alongside the main army. These battles hardened him from a coward to a scarred war veteran, by Balseraph standarts. His scar still remains on his face visible to everyone, but the betrayal behind it remains hidden. Like a poem which has it's message hidden.

Flash of Light

A blinding flash of light emanated from the Ashen Veil Temple of Berodu in the plains between the Balseraph, Illian, and Khazad nations. With it came visions in the minds of the leaders of great wealth and power, along with visions of the Infernal demon Zaleed. It seems the temple is beckoning these three nations towards it, offering great rewards in exchange for its capture.​
Ballet dancers of death
Spoiler :
It had been few months when the bright light flashed in the skies. Then Perpentach had just discarded it as a marvelous display of fireworks but as the orc attacks grew more frequent, the light returned to Perpentach's mind. The dreams he had had that night also concerned him. They prooved that it nothing mundane.
"Assemble the laughing court." Perpentach commanded to royal couriers. In few hours everyone was there. Noone had the guts to pass.
"The dark green spreads
the play is interrupted.
Show has to go on
the bright torch in the skies
light the stage
and make all bright and clear."
After Perpentach finished, there was a moment of silence. Then the speech babble filled the court as everyone started to interpret his poem.
"The chickens are divine! Surely they can help."
Perpentach smiled at the speaking man and pointed at him with his scepter. The man turned into a chicken.
"Yes. The divine guide us!"
Court was filled with laughter for the next five minutes.
"Great greatness wants us to seek out the source of the light that flashed in the skies a couple of months ago."
There was grumbling in the court. Some of the members did not think the court should be concerned about a flashy light when there were orc attacks all over the land.
"This light will illuminate the stage, it will help us to get rid of the greenmen!
Perpentach nodded at the center of the spacious building.
"We will send spare troops to scout for the source."
Suddenly a aging man rose up and his chair fell down in process.
"Do we have time to be chasing at a "will o' wisp" while we've got a full scale orc invasion at our hands?!" The man declared to court.
"This "will o' wisp" will be our savior, our ace in the sleeve!"
"Why do you assume it will be something good waiting for us? It could be a TRAP!"
"Silence!" Perpentach yelled to interrupt a coming argument.
"We will not send ordinary soldiers for a job serious as this." He kept on speaking
"I propose that we'll send a company of our ballet dancers. They are agile enough for a task that might run out of hand.
The majority of the court nodded, the rest were certain that Perpentach was just following his a thought of a moment but the thing is, those thoughts had led Balseraphs to glory before.

Halelulja, it's done.;)

Under an Iron Sky - III

Spoiler :
Taryl of Twelth crawled on the copper-versed ground of what once had been a park or garden or whatever such a place might have been called in a city where even the trees seemed to be forged from the rarest metals. He heard the sharp click-clack of nailed boots upon the solid floor. Slowly, very slowly he rose into a careful crouch, his small but lethal crossbow charged and ready. His snout twisted slightly as he scanned his surroundings for the origin of the footsteps. Then he found his target: A tall, brownhaired human wearing the distinctive jade-coloured buckler of a Bannor scout. Unhasty, Taryl levelled his weapon. The man was about fifty metres away, sneaking through the undergrowth of a lead-forged “bush”. It was a difficult shot, but not an impossible one. He aimed, then he pulled the trigger. A splitsecond later, the successor of those who had survived hell itself dropped like a stone, the bolt sticking in his spine and looming out of his mouth on the other side of the skull. It was as quick and silent a death as possible but none the less the tumble of the corpse and his arms resounded over the entire area.
Like any sniper trained all to well in urban guerilla warfare - lessons hard-learned among the Kwythellar City Guards in their constant strife against gangs - Taryl did not hesitate to drop down, again changing his location.

---

Evelyn Doomspear sat in her lookout, a well-shrouded window on the third floor of the former (persumed) Governor’s Manor that now was both the Kuriotate’s Headquarter and last stronghold. Or, speaking more precisely, it was the core of a citadel besieged.
Since when were they fighting? Four days, give or take one. Evelyn could not tell precisely. Her arm was in a sling and she had a nasty spear-wound in her right shoulder, inches above her small bosom. She also had many other bruises, but this wound was the worst. Despite the best efforts of the soldiers adept in first aid and herbs (the latter were hard to come by in a city whose “vegetation” was forged from brass and tin) , the wound had left her in a mild fever that had left her short of her normal mental capabilities and her near-perfect memory.
Nonetheless, she had been fortunate. More fortunate than too many others, anyways.

It all had begun, this memory at least was coherent, on the day after the Kuriotate reinforcements had arrived, the day Evelyn had ventured out with only a small bodyguard to treat and parlay with the Bannor. They had never reached the neutral ground, though Evelyn now doubted strongly it would have been anything but a trap in any case.
However, the original violence did not come from the Bannor. It hailed from the Ngomele, a race of beasts - a hard term to use in Kuriotate society, and especially coming from a “demi-human” - that looked like very distant relatives of the Ferret. But they were taller, as tall as a human but bend-over and crooked. And where Ferrets were close to humans except for some features like strong hairing and a snout like that of the namegiving ferret or a fox, the Ngomele were overall more animalic and more Hyena than anything. Not only in looks but also in character.
The creatures, the “Gnoll”, had ambushed them and butchered (a term to be taken literally for she had witnessed the Gnolls devouring both the corpses of the fallen and even an most unfortunate injured but living soldier) most of her retinue. They had barely escaped back into the fortified mansion that they had found themselves under an all-out assault.
But the assault of the Ngomele had failed and brought about their end, both because of the Kuriotates stout hearts and because of the Bannor attacking the beasts in the rear.

But the Bannor had not been saviours. In fact, Evelyn now realized in her hazed mind, they had arrived to early to the battle to not have planned to do just what they did. Had they known of the Ngomeles plans? Had they even encouraged them? It was not matching well with what Evelyn knew of the Bannor of the last age. But it matched shockingly well with the facts and why should an ice age not change the mind and heart of a people? It did not matter anyways.
After the last Ngomele had perished, the Kuriotate had come out of their “castle”, but only to find the Bannorites’s short swords pointed at them. They had repelled this attack as well and ever since, the mansion and its surroundings were the site of a bloody siege, a war of attrition. Up until now it was a stalemate. The Kuriotate had the advantage for now because they were by far more experienced in urban warfare and Taryl of Twelth and his men were giving the Bannor a hard time, ambushing and harassing them without ever giving them the opportunity to strike back. Simultaneously, these pinpricks made it impossible for the Bannor to amass the forces for a full blown onslaught.
This, even Evelyns non-military mind realized, would mean the end of the Kuriotate. The Ngomeles attack had left the Kuriotate down to half their strength to begin with. The lack of food and fresh water - both of which they had been running short upon since they were unable to forage for it - had weakened them further.
And for now, despite their losses, the Bannor’s determination did not waver. If they did not break, they would overpower the children of the dragon eventually. And probably sooner rather than later.
---

Taryl of Twelth had returned into the fortified district of the mansion for the night. The Bannor did not fight at night. They knew perfectly well that their human eyes could neither match a Ferrets nightsight nor a Lamias nose. The dark hours, at least, where the hours in which the Kuriotate defenders could rest. The only hours.
He woke after what seemed only a few minutes. He must have slept longer than he had initially thought, for the sun was rising faintly in the east and was slowly outmatching the constant faint glow of the blue crystal that was rumoured to be situated in the very center of the town. Alas, he did not feel it.
The man that had woke him was another ferret, a “man” called Rielf of Redbrick, a veteran with only one eye. “Sey are coming, ser. Se Bannor. Se scouts are already retreating. Seir Vanguard will be upon us in minutes.”
Taryl scowled, both out of fatigue and out of horror. “How could sis happen? How could sey gaser strength wissout us noticing?” He replyed in the same thick accent of the Ferret.
“Sey must have amassed way outside our perimeter, perhaps outside se city itself long before dawn. Have marched in darkness, wissout torches. Also no standard battle order, no scouts as forerunners, only se van and se main body right behind. Sose of our posts sat noticed ‘em coming eiser are dead, cut-off or made seir hit and ran. No way of ambushing sis wissout preparation.”
Taryl nodded grimly. Nobody had ever said the Bannor were weak or even stupid. And especially nobody had ever claimed being one of the King’s Own was easy. Quite the opposite, if anything.
“Sen ‘tis as ‘tis. Wake se men. I want everybody up and about in ten. But do it as quietly as possible. Se Bannor probably know sat we’re aware of’em. But ser’s no need to smack it into seir face.”

---

The Kuriotate again had the tactical advantage within the walled compounds of their headquarter. It offered an excellent field of view to their archers and the iron and steel the building mostly consistet of made it entirely imune to flames both natural and magicel. The Kuriotate would not be burned out. If the Bannor wanted them dead, they’ld have to do it manually. Unfortunately, this was precisely what they meant to do. And what they were best at. As was said, the Kuriotate archers could aim freely. But the Bannor weren’t fools. Nor were they blindly charging Orcs. They had brought large, square-shaped tower-shields behind which they hid while approaching the mansion as one, massive line of battle. However, they had overlooked that their line of shields did not protect them from missiles from above and at first, the Kuriotate archers thus held bloody harvest among the attackers.
But of course it didn’t last. The Bannor retreated out of range, but only to regroup. Thereafter, they approached the improvised barricades with their shields held up high in all directions, giving them a shape distantly comparable to a turtle. It made for slow movement, but it offered them good cover.
In their first attempt, the Bannor almost made it across the plaza in front of the residence. But to their great misfortune, a lucky crossbow bolt found its way through their shieldwall and into the calf of a soldier. The man dropped his shield only for an instant, but it was enough for the Kuriotate to exploit the weakness and pepper the fighters left and right of the injured Bannor with arrows. More men fell, more shields were dropped and the formation broke.
The fight went on like this until the tenth hour, by which time the Kuriotate where out of missiles but the Bannor not even close to being out of men.
The Kuriotate inside the fortified house prepared for their last stand while outside of the compound, the perfectly coeval footsteps of the Bannor made the earth shake. But then, a new sound like the low grumble of a distant avalanche mixed into it. Both the Bannor and the Kuriotate froze for a moment. Then a sole silver sound of a fanfare broke the sudden silence. The avalanche-like rumble now was a clatter. The clatter of copper horse-shoes on iron cobblestone. And like an avalanche, the Centaurs of the Kuriotate hit the Bannor in the rear. The Bannor, disciplined and unwavering as always, stoically turned to face this new threat. But as they did so, the alleys left and right of the Plaza suddenly erupted with charging humans, ferrets and even one or two Lamia. They were led by a black haired woman on a brown stallion.
“LORDAAAA!” The relief force cried. And “LORDAAAA!” answered the men and women inside the manor and they, too, with small Taryl at their lead, joined the fray.
For a moment, the fourfold shieldwall of the Bannor withstood the unexpected onslaught. And then, in one moment, the Bannorites resistance crumbled into dust. They were the bravest soldiers of the world, but even they had taken too much of a beating today already to fight to the death.

As the servants of Junil finally dropped their weapons and surrendered, Taryl met the leader of their unexpected rescuers. The woman had dismounted from her horse and was walking among the dead. She did not even seem to notice the corpses. But then, like a snake striking, she spun, a long slender blade suddenly in her hand and drove it into the throat of a Bannor lieutenant’s corpse. The corpse, however, screamed in pain for a second before the soul left the body with a audible sigh.
“Playing dead. What a foolish and worthless attempt to save his life.” Blackraven commented.
“Good ears.” responded Taryl. Unlike the woman, who looked meticulous in her leather harness so black that it almost gleamed, Taryl’s face was smeared with blood and sweat. His rough tongue worked constantly to keep at least his muzzle free of the bad tasting mix.
“And good timing. ‘Tis would have been our death, had you arrived but a few hours later. I sink I owe you.”
“Perhaps you do, but the biggest thanks should go to our King. He send me and the men here in time. Almost as if he knew you would need us.”
“Sat’s why he’s king. He knows stuff.”
“That much is for certain. I take it you are the famed Taryl of Twelth? Nice to finally meet you. I am Morvena Black.”
Taryl’s furry brows scowled at this name. Morvena Black, Blackraven. An assassin he and his comrades of the City Guard had chased for years. But he was no longer a City Guard, he was a member of the Vanguard of the Dragon. And this was a new age. Why not an assassin. “All trades” the king had said - and he had meant it, obviously.
“‘Tis nice to meet another member of the Vanguard.” He replied, thus indicating that he saw the woman as just that and not as an assassin.
“It is. But I was not send here only to relieve you.” She suddenly spoke very loudly, her voice carrying over the entire Plaza which fell silent instantly. “I was send here to proclaim the following: By decrée of his most wise and benevolent majesty, King Cardith Lorda, Son of the Golden Dragon, Lord and Chief of all the tribes and people of the Kuriotate, this city is now part of the dominion. Kuriotate law and customs will reign in this place and all adjacent land within four days of travel as the Centaur runs. Any refugee, regardless of his species, gender, age or faith will be welcome here as well as in any other part of the Kuriotate dominion, provided he or she is willing to swear allegiance to the Young King and the laws that bind this society. We mean no harm to any other people or nation. But any intrusion or any attempt to violate this decrée or any other issued by the King will be met with force.”

She nodded, obviously satisfied with the speech she had just recited out of memory. “Now to the prisoners.” She added more quietly. “Take them outside of the city and have them executed. All but three, each from a different family if possible. Those are to be send back as messengers.” she issued to a bystanding officer.

Before Taryl could comment on it or even form an opinion on this harsh but common treatment, an angry voice screamed. “NO! I’ll not permit this! This is...barbaric!” The voice belonged to Evelyn Doomspear. The injured Centaur lady stood supported by her spear on one side and a Kuriotate Sergeant on the other.
“ Wer are Kuriotate. We do not...execute prisoners of war just like that.”
“They would not even have taken prisoners in the first place.” Morvena retorted.
“Then we are better than them. Besides, killing them will only incite further violence.”
“Not killing them will allow them to come back another day to do just that. Besides: I AM in command. Got that? I, noone else!”

This did it for Taryl. He saw sense in both logics. But if Morvena wanted to use blood to cement a role she assumed without any real claim to it, that was something else. Besides, he rather liked the Centaures.
“Enough!” he interrupted the two women. He was at least a head and a half smaller than any of them, but it didn’t matter. The Kuriotate had learned long ago that nobody should be overlooked because of their size.
“Evelyn is as much a member of the Vanguard as you! We all were gifted a scale. Tis makes us equal. Besides, none of us has any direct power...at least until King Cardith grants it to one of us. And Evelyn is right. We did not kill the orcs sat surrendered after se battle of Kwythellar. Why should we start now with killing humans who have insulted us far less? Take seir weapons, I say, let sem swear on seir Junil never again to bear arms against us and send sem home.”

Morvena swallowed hard - but she did not argue. Typical assassin, she retreated when she felt that a fight was lost. “Now that is decided, I think...well, we should give the city a name. Now that it’s part of the realm, I mean. We can’t go on always calling it the iron city...” Evelyn said, relief resounding in her voice.

Behind them, the victorious Kuriotate had gathered and were celebrating their victory by raising their bloodied weapons towards Lughus unblinking eye and chanting the name of “LORDA! LORDA!” Taryl just grinned.
“I sink it already has one.”

In short:

-The Kuriotate conquer/occupy the "Iron City", now called "Lorda".
-The Ngomele and Bannor forces are expelled from the city. Time will show whether they can accept their defeat or will seek retribution.
-More people, both military and civilists arrive day by day in Lorda. Excavations, researches and restaurations take place all over the town.
-Two small garrisoned settlements (Hag Ganeth to the south and Hag Graef in the north) are established between Kwythellar and Lorda to cover the extreme distance between the Heartland and the new dominion. Travel remains dangerous nonetheless.

[ooc- I need to do the new map now then :p ]

-----

War Pacts (Part I)
Spoiler :
When the ice retreated from our homes, many people fled. They saw only through the wolf, and fled to the icy seas.
We know not whether they live, nor do we care.
The animals live on, and we find a new totem animal to worship, to become one with.

But, as various animals passed, our tribe became more and more fragmented.
People left, to form tribes of their own.
There are those that worship the stealthy snake, ferocious tigers, vicious panthers, angry pirannahs, and flamboyant parrots.

But, today, me and my family leave.
We leave, to grow powerful.
We leave, to join the hamsters! :goodjob:

NEW MAP UPLOADED!

Hm, the Grigori only have island cities?
Damn :p

Nice map-update. Entirely different from what I thought it would look like, but good nonetheless :)

Under an iron sky - Epilogue

Spoiler :
Her eyes were red from the inches-thick and centuries old dust that coated every inch of the floor, the walls and every single object in the dark, narrowing tunnel. It also filled the air wherever they trod and thus it made breathing a pain for the lungs as well. Her legs were tired from the days walk. They had journeyed no more than perhaps a few hundred meters - and yet she felt as if she had ran alle the way from Kwythellar to Naggagrond and back. And worst of all, her shoulder had begun to throb again.
With a sweaty, smut-blackened hand, Evelyn mopped her brow. It was four weeks and five days since her injury. Her shoulder had healed well, everyone agreed. The priests, the herbalists, even the army-veterans. She had received the best treatment available in the newly occupied city. Probably a third of all the healing herbs and roots around Lorda had been applied on her. She had not wanted so much attention, there were others whose injuries were far more severe. But Taryl - and even this coldhearted :):):):):) Morvena Black - had been adamant. She was a member of the vanguard and thus deserved the best possible care. Besides, as Blackraven liked to point out so much in her piercing parlance, she was “one of the few sages adept in ancient lore and now finally of some use.”
She praised Lughus and Amathon that this dagger-for-hire had been summoned back to Kwythellar by the king.

In any case, Evelyn had taken her words to heart. And as soon as she had been able to - and by far to early if the healers had had a say in it, which Evelyn had not allowed them - she had begun to work again. And there was so much work here: Every single corpse of a building (the word “ruin” was inappropriate. There was nothing ruined about those palaces of ore and metal.) Told a million stories and led to a billion new questions. Every tome they found, somehow preserved through the decades of neglect, every carving left behind by the mysterious creators of this place was worth years of research. And yet, she and the few other scholars and researchers had no time to give any of those treasures the time they deserved. They did what they could to ensure they stayed intact, made copies where the original was too damaged and translated as they went. Evelyn could very well imagine that even in the generation of her grandchildren not all the enigmas of this place would be solved.
And yesterday deep in the night (Evelyn always worked from dawn till way after dusk) she had finally unravelled a specifically inscrutable mural carving. Or at least she thought so.
And as far as she could tell now, despite the pounding in her shoulder that made her wish for the the-gods-knew-how-maniest time she had heeded the advise of the healers, she had been correct.

Seven hours ago, she had led an excavation team into one of the great, goldendomed halls. There, at her directions and exactly as the painting had made her guess, they had found a secret door. It let into a dark passage of stairs and hallways, sometimes with flat ground, sometimes with steps (which thankfully had been broad enough to allow a Centaur passage) but always leading down into the very heart of Mazera. They had descended downwards with storm laterns in their hands and a captured dove at their front. Both were ideas others had payed for with their lives. Three Ferrets had died because they had come down a passage very much like this one in the early days after the battle with torches in their hands. The dust had caught fire and the poor wretches had been burned instantly. Likewise, another exploration team had been wiped out by lethal gasses in another cellar. Only one Lamia had survived because the snakeman had needed less oxygen than his companions.

But so far, neither had been a problem to her group. The shafts were dark and she had no real idea where they might lead them, but at least they were well-ventilated. They passed through subterranean halls almost as big as the one above the surface. They had found other tunnels intermingling with theirs and doors in the side of their tube leading to smaller rooms. In one they had found rows and rows of three-storied beds. In each lay a skeleton. The bleak bones looked as if they had once belonged to humans. They apparently all had died in their sleep. They had not even woken up when whatever caused their extinction befell them.

And as they climbed down level by level, the material of the walls around them changed. They had begun with stout steel, then came iron, bronze, copper and other unknown materials. But now, stretching out her arm and touching the wall to her left, she felt no smooth metals. Instead, her hand almost tenderly caressed stone. Natural stone.
Finally, she decided that it was time to move on. She and hr group had been resting in front of a gargantuan door. It was so big, it might even have allowed Eurabatres the Golden passage.
“Well, Gentlemen, it is time. Open those doors. All of you, push!” She commanded.
At first, the giant metall doors would not move a single inch. But then, very slowly, with all their strength combined, they managed to push back the left side of the double door.
When they lifted their lanterns to illumine what lay behind the gate, the beams of light radiating from their lanterns vanished in the thick darkness of the room behind the door. This hall had to be bigger than any before, perhaps even bigger than the one above ground. Then, as if led by the hand of a god, their individual beams focussed in the middle of the hall. There was a massive something in the hall, broad as a house, dustcovered but with metal untarnished gleaming here and there. Slowly, their focussed ray of light creeped higher and higher along the vast, unknown body. Then they reached the top, about four meters above Evelyns head. She heard one of the soldiers to her left drawing her sword from its sheath. They were staring into the face of a dragon!

Fear froze them. The dragon looked at them with gleaming green eyes. They starred into what might be the face of their death. Silence surrounded them. Then Evelyn began to laugh loudly, joyously, like a child.
Her companions watched her in shock. Then they understood and joined in.
“A galley-head. What fools we are!” She smirked. They went into the grand hall to take a closer look.
The massive body belonged to a ship. A very strange ship, for it had no keel and like a river barge, it would have sunk on the open sea. But to be a freshwater-only vessel it was by far to big. Besides, it had no mast, only sails of rotten canvas looming out on the sides, reminding her a bit of wings.
“What on Mazera is this?” The female sergeant who had drawn her sword earlier on asked. She still held the bronze blade.
“I think”, Evelyn answered her unconsciously, her voice trembling with awe, “I think this is...an air ship.

Spoiler :
Well, I hope this is okay. If you don't mind, this will lead the Kuriotate to the discovery of their unique civskill: Shipwrights of Airships.
Keep in mind, they have only just now discovered the very possibility of this. It will be a long time until they understand the technology well enough to use the airship found in Lorda, let alone until they can build vessels of their own.

[OOC= yeah, its fine :D ]

The Glass-Staff
Spoiler :
It was boiling hot in the Furnace-Room, but, anything was better than another Theory lesson! I took my place at the desk, where my project was waiting to be worked on. I wasted no time, grabbed the plain glass orb in my hands, and started slowly chanting, calling on the intricate powers of Enchanting.

Slowly, the orb started to bend, and, eventually, it was twisted, a thing of beauty, but impractical, now I needed to infuse it. So, I grabbed the powders, weighing and mixing, burning, distilling, heating the glass up, covering it in the dusts, re-melting,over and over again, until I had finished. I whispered some words of cooling, before admiring my creation.

A glass staff, completely transparent, with an almost colourless gas in the middle. I tested it, gently hitting it on the edge of the table. I whacked it harder, a pure, light note rung out, as pure as Sirona, but the staff stayed in one piece. Now for te final test. I went out on the field, and chanted the fast rhythm of a basic Air spell. The gas in the staff whirled around crazily, and I saw the clouds parting above me. It worked! And, now, I could finally see what's out there!

Spoiler :
The Battle of Oren had ended, the troops had breathed a sigh of relief, and refugees began to return to their towns. Soldiers escorted the refugee groups or scowered the countryside for any surviving Tombslay Orcs. Deremei Diranth stood atop his palisade, as he is known to do, and watched his tribesmen set back out to resettle. Food shipments from Benniren became more frequent as the refugees returned and the towns of Sinrak, Verlorn, and Ashelma began to grow steadily as Goblins with nothing to return to flocked to these towns, as they had been built just before the battle began.
Deremei had even been able to turn the Nortek's debt around a bit, having his people sell silver statuettes and trinkets to the other nations. Several infiltrators from the Scorpion Clan were rounded up and hung, allowing the national debt to further lower as the Scorpion Clan was no longer able to siphon gold from the Nortek.
Deremei leaned slightly on the staff that had been carved for him by the priests, originally as a crutch for him to lean on as the wound from the battle healed. Now it had been inscribed with the names of his ancestors, runes to Grishnar and Greeklak, and his own personal sayings. He read the names on the staff again and returned to looking out across the countryside.

A large fireball exploded at the base of Fort Ogazar's palisades, killing several Goblin warriors and hurting several more. Tojara Ironraider roared and held his sword forward, the sign for the archers to let loose their arrows. The Tombslay Orcs continued to rush towards the city as arrows pierced their flesh, causing several to fall and get trampled by the Orcs behind them. The Goblins at the base of the palisade dug the butt end of their spears into the ground and held them in an upward position, ready for the Tombslay Horde to crash in them.
Another explosion rocked the palisades as several archers fell to the ground below from the blast and several more burned by the intense heat. Ironraider quickly looked at the base of the palisade, hoping to find an answer as to what was causing the explosions and saw nothing but dead or dying Nortek. He roared and the cavalry hidden in a pass east of the Horde charged into the flank. Several heads were lopped off and many of the Orcs died as the wolf riders ran through their ranks.
The Orcs at the front of the Horde continued to run, not hearing or not caring about those behind them, caring only for the taste of Goblin blood. They roared loudly as the front line crashed into the bronze spears of the Nortek warriors. Many were impaled on the spears, those that didn't die from the initial shock were pushed further down the spears by the Orcs behind them, causing the spear to erupt from their backs and impale the Orcs behind them. Goblins with double-stacked Orcs abandoned their spears and unsheathed their Ishlah, one to two foot swords, depending on the height of the Goblin wielding it, which were specially made for close quarters fighting.
Ishlah plunged into the Orcs trying to push towards the Goblins. Many Orcs slipped or lost their footing as the grass beneath them became slick with blood. The Goblins in the middle of the line began to fall back slightly, bringing the Orcs inwards, allowing for more Goblins to race around the sides of the Nortek line and into the flanks of the Horde. The wolf rider cavalry had been either slaughtered or had retreated, showing that the Horde still is a threat on the battlefield.
The Horde numbers were slowly depleting while the Goblins seemed to have never ending troops. In truth, it was a simple combination of arrow fire from the palisades and the maneuvering of the two armies with the Nortek mostly surrounding the Horde. Orc bodies began to pile up and several smaller battles were now taking place on top of a layer of dead Orcs and Goblins. The Orcs in the back of the Horde began to see that they were losing and began to retreat back towards their camp. As the last Orc on the battlefield was slain, the Goblins in and out of Fort Ogazar let out a loud roar in victory.

Top Bottom