Middle-earth: Lord of the Mods

do units disappear ? They have been doing that in my games for years now . Send 15 somewhere in a stack and one will be out of sight with only 14 being around . If so , maybe it is not the wargs but something else and you won't be seeing them . Try F3 screen and clicking on everything .
Units can die to terrain like if a unit stays to long in dark forest or mountains it says "wild beast have attacked" or something.

Yeah I've tracked it down to an army of wargs that no matter what I do crashes it. Thank you for a great mod, and god bless you for even still responding after 16 years.
Need more info to be able to figure it out.

Anyway, it's 2820, and the game now freezes up every time at the point where the automatic turn moves (like when you move a unit across the map over 8 turns). I'm going to try to stop a lot of them and see if that fixes it, and I don't know if anyone can help, I just thought I'd post to complain about it.
The CCM mod had a lot of freezes especially during its development phase many years ago. Most of them were triggered by AI path finding errors, due to massive changes in the movement settings of units (forbidden terrain by the wheeled flag for some units in conflict with units that are able to move on such a terrain in the same stack). These problems seem to be fixed during the CCM prebeta-testing.

A big freezing trigger could not be fixed at that time. The mod freezed in the interturn phase, when a civ lost its last city, but still had a settler on a boat. Therefore many players called that bug the "houseboat bug". Unfortunately this bug can happen even when an AI civ eliminates the last city of another AI civ anywhere on the map and therefore in those cases can not be located by normal means. For a long time here the only cure was to start the save file of a game with the multiplayer tool and to look where that situation happened on the map and to eliminate that boat with the last settler manually.

The Flintlock mod has a setting to eliminate the houseboat bug (and alone for this feature it is essential for the next version of CCM). As the Flintlock mod can even be started during a game, you should install that mod and start it at least one turn before the turn with the following freeze is occurring. If the game now can continue, it was the houseboat bug. Please note, that the Flintlock mod has some other features in its starting configuration, among them offensive AI artillery, that should be disabled in the config_file of that mod, if they are in conflict with the current settings of the played mod or scenario, but for detecting if the freeze is triggered by the houseboat bug, it is sufficient, when the Flintlock mod is started without any changes in the config_file of that mod. For installing the Flintlock mod, this mod needs Civ 3 Complete in the GOG or steam version.

Last edited:
the lost unit will not be visible . Unless

it is attacked by enemy in which it usually dies

found through clicking on units on F3 screen

if another unit of yours enters the same tile

ı have to block AI from entering my territory in my current game , naturally LotM and ı keep my units in dangerous territory not by fortifying them but using space bar for each and every of the 30 or 40 forming part of the "wall" ...

Units have not been disappearing, and it's not the "attacked by wild animals" feature.
Also, I've been using the Flintlock patch the whole time.
It's my turn, and when I move this army, the game just freezes. I have to use the task manager to kill the process.

However, I tried fortifying it, after which my automoves occurred, and then I was able to move it with no problem and continue the game. So this issue seems to be resolved unless it happens again. Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.

Attachments

• Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    3.3 MB · Views: 43
Finally won a domination victory after 330 hours of gameplay as Angmar on High King level (not sure if Regent or Monarch, but it was fairly challenging until the last 15% of land area, though I'd bump up next go-roung. Spawned the dragon, but will keep playing until I can see the Balrog - should only be one more turn... Overall was a lot of fun, not much learning curve from regular Civ, but more competitive. A great mod. May post some short game report with pics (though not sure if this is the place). Besides the bug reported above, which never recurred there were only very few issues:
A) Armies don't retain the abilities of component unit, which kinda sucks as now trolls can't move over mountains, snufflers can't snuffle, etc. Poor dragon had to be armied to be able to survive but now he can't breathe fire.
B) Snufflers are supposed to have stealth attack but do not (i'm not sure if stealth attack in regular civ even works since I can't remember ever getting that far along the tech tree)

Other thoughts - gosh I wish there were railroads esp on a huge map, brb moving units 10-20 turns to make it to the front. I can see how this would be a little asynchronous (this isn't the right word). I was surprised by the 1 unit armies, but they were better balanced than vanilla. I was disappointed that I started a massive war to get mithril but couldn't make mithril troops. At least the elves couldn't either. I think mountains should be traversable earlier. I don't know if this would affect the dwarves punitively though since I eliminated them first. The mountain thing kind of made a pangea map into continents. If I'd done it over, I'd have checked the geography or played one of the pre-made maps so that didn't happen & Mordor and Isengard weren't on islands. I was dismayed to find that some other civs had amphibious units that they used to take out my cities (but was pleased to storm the beaches of Dunland with orc archers). Loved my 1 defense orc workers, and especially loved sacrificing foreign workers for culture! Didn't discover I could do this until midway through then about 100 of them got butchered all at once. Wondered if this effects relations. Finally IMO should be more of a diplomatic boost based on the books. No reason I should be gracious with Galadriel, but Sauron won't trade me sheep.

Again, overall a hugely positive gameplay experience, and I thank the creators, especially @WildWeazel

isengard snufflers are able to stealth attack , Angmar and Mordor ones are not . Elven great or small wonders will prevent stealth attack against units in towns . Elves and Dwarves are the only ones that can field mitril troops . All archers upwards from the 2nd era tech (that preceeds Mitril working) should be amphibious . Play "long" , ı practically always end up with 5 great worms and 3 balrogs in a 600 turns game (which might possibly take two months but that's just me) . Never played Mordor except once changing the name to Horhor (because of politics of being r16 and whatnot) and it has Nazgüls you can(?) produce yourself , presumably ending up with dozens of fel beasts , with cool graphics and all . Mordor has an additional hence third auto produced troll unit with the tech at the very end of the Third Era , with usual warg units but no wolves as they are .

A) Armies don't retain the abilities of component unit, which kinda sucks as now trolls can't move over mountains, snufflers can't snuffle, etc. Poor dragon had to be armied to be able to survive but now he can't breathe fire.
This is true of the main game as well. In order for units to retain their bombardment ability when Armied, the Army needs to have it as well
B) Snufflers are supposed to have stealth attack but do not (i'm not sure if stealth attack in regular civ even works since I can't remember ever getting that far along the tech tree)
The only units with Stealth attack in unmodded Conquests are the Submarines, and it works without a problem.

But IIRC, Stealth-attacks can only be executed if the stack to be attacked contains a target-unit(s). Otherwise combat takes place as normal, with the strongest unit defending.

But IIRC, Stealth-attacks can only be executed if the stack to be attacked contains a target-unit(s). Otherwise combat takes place as normal, with the strongest unit defending.
Without the Flintlock mod you need at least two set target units in an attacked stack for performing a stealth attack. In the Flintlock mod there is the option that a stealth attack can already be performed, if there is only one set target unit for stealth attack in that stack.

played an hour or two last night like the last 10 years or so .

Top Bottom