Middle-earth: Lord of the Mods

If any one here can figure out why my game crashes when the shire build's their first city that would be wonderful.

Here are my modified LotM files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0c5nh587nc1qsc/Lotr.zip?dl=0

Are you using Steam? If so there was an update where I was lucky to find a fix (quoted below).

Okay, so this mod would not work on my Steam version of C3C that was installed in 2011. The text was all over the place, and the game would crash when I settled my first city.

Then I decided to start looking around....

As I said before, my copy of C3C was installed in 2011. I noticed that (for some freaking reason, thanks steam) the game had some updates. I looked at files, and for some reason stumbled upon the "labels.txt" file. That file was updated in 2015. There is also a script.txt that was updated in 2015.

I compared the two files. It turns out that the LOTR mod was one line short. Of course, not your fault -- this update is the problem. The update has a line that says "Unknown" between lines that are labeled "ping" and "host". I inserted this line into the LOTR labels.txt file, and now it works PERFECTLY!!

Again, this would be for steam purchases where your game was updated in 2015. I seriously wonder what they were thinking in messing with that file -- did they not realize what that would do to all the old mods?? I wonder how many mods could be fixed by just inserting this one line. This is the first Civ 3 mod I've installed, so I don't know the answers to those questions (thank you Civ 6 for sucking so much lol).

I hope this helps some of you out there! If someone could fix the mod itself that would be great, or I could upload the new labels.txt file if that would be better.

(NOTE: The game itself would not work on my win7 computer until I went through and unset the "read only" that is set for Civ 3 after install. After that, it would work. Hope that helps someone as well.)

Again, I am not using the steam but the Civ 3 complete CD edition

I apologize, my info won't help then. But when saying *again*, I don't see anywhere in your original that you were or were not using steam. Take care.

To everyone: I'm sorry I've still not delivered a patch for the issues identified in this thread. That is predicated on my ability to test the mod, which I've been unable to do for a while because the game is unreliable on Linux/Proton.

But we've been selected for the 20th anniversary scenario compilation DVD by Quintillus, and I'd like to have an updated version ready to address any known issues. So I'm asking anyone who knows of a specific bug to please post here (or reiterate it if you have already) and if possible provide a fix by file or instructions. I will try to get the game running via Wine or a VM so I can integrate and test the changes.

This needs to be done fairly soon so if you know of any bugs consider this "last call"

will there more units and stuff , because there is this light infantry in the .biq but not related to anything . Civpedia entries being empty , more civs , even if this makes it a new scenario , which ı will be first to admit to be impossible .

ı have seen it in the editor just as a name , with a little picture assigned but no stats or anything assigned . lt seems to have the same little triangle shaped shield with the 6-3-1 swordsman of Arnor / Gondor/ Numenor , would probably become an unique unit for one ? Over the years ı have fixed the .txt stuff as ı came across , would have a list had ı known it would be useful today .

another thing that comes to mind is a small wonder that would possibly increase the army size to 2 , like the Dwarf one but also not assigned . Though still falls into making a new scenario .

and naturally ı was playing today and noticed Cogs . ı don't know how it started so many years ago but ı saw them turning broadside to fight as the battleship in the epic game does . Except they were turning away from the enemy and the arrows were flying into the void . Windows apparently saves some of your files automatically and ı utterly failed to fix it despite trying to tick relevany boxes in the game . lf the scenario has this issue it could be fixed (Not sure whether it was my own fault that created the situation)

and the Dwarf special buildings . Unless ı play them myself , they don't take part in my games but in the past they were unable to "correctly" place their cities . Second building needing copper has the bonus function of aqueduct and the third acts as an apothecary . But placing your city by the river or a lake provides the second level of city size and you can not build the second and third Dwarf buildings ... ı believe to start an hospital/apothecary type building your population must be at least 7 , which you can't have unless placed by a river or lake . ı can't see how that can be fixed without at least one extra building . Aqueduct/apothecary rolled into one perhaps ? ı had tested waterpipes and waterpipes_ or something once . Possibly worked , too .

webcafes are closed for the duration , ı have no way of transferring data between the laptop where the game is and the tablet ı use to browse which simply means ı have no way of knowing how various bugs and stuff would interact and whether they kill one of the electronic gear or both . lf the rotate before attack was "corrupt" and your remarks are clear proof that you are aware , ı am happy that ı have been of service to the scenario/mod ı play mostestest .

Would you mind sending me your text files? I can do a side-by-side comparison with what's in the download.

I remember the ship facing issue coming up during the beta and I'm sure we fixed it for some ships.
If @r16 can't do it, you could have a look at my copies of those files, which are all v.1.13, AFAIK: apart from the Civilopedia.txt, which I only modded to add the "Downfallen" gov-entry described a couple of pages back (the file is dated 2019), all the other files in my ../LotM/Text folder are dated 2005 and 2007.

Attachments

• Civilopedia.txt
    369.5 KB · Views: 49
  • PediaIcons.txt
    132.8 KB · Views: 48
and also considering ı have waited 100(?) turns for Mordor to build the Rings of Power wonder and am currently at 532th turn and Mordor has to fall if am to clear the entire map for the first time in a Civ game and ı had gifted almost the entire 2nd era techs to Mordor ... and remembering it is only about fixing bugs , can it be possible to make the Rings a militarist thing so that Mordor can still build it even under mobilisation ? Probably game tested to full satisfaction but at Monarch level , Mordor is too dumb already , while the Red of this civ should have been making people fear or something ...

Playing a huge map as Angmar with 53 hours already logged, and I'm comfortably ahead, though at war with everyone. Pangaea map, but Mordor and Isengard were islands which was a little bit of a bummer, though overall it's great fun.

Anyway, it's 2820, and the game now freezes up every time at the point where the automatic turn moves (like when you move a unit across the map over 8 turns). I'm going to try to stop a lot of them and see if that fixes it, and I don't know if anyone can help, I just thought I'd post to complain about it.

Yeah I've tracked it down to an army of wargs that no matter what I do crashes it. Thank you for a great mod, and god bless you for even still responding after 16 years.

Attachments

• Ruin of the Angmarians, 2820 YS.SAV
    425.7 KB · Views: 5
do units disappear ? They have been doing that in my games for years now . Send 15 somewhere in a stack and one will be out of sight with only 14 being around . If so , maybe it is not the wargs but something else and you won't be seeing them . Try F3 screen and clicking on everything .

Top Bottom