[MOD]Dawn of a New Era

Hello everyone,

Here is our latest DoaNE at December 11, 2013. Three months after the v3.00 (09/14/2013) the v3.10 improves playability by providing aids and makes more intuitive and easier tasks.
Concepts eras and crop plants were too vague. We solved this problem by providing greater clarity. This is actually better.

This is an intermediate version before an overhaul of the AI ​​(which is slow in coming and that will emerge after another intermediate version).

This is still the multi game the best. For those who no longer loved Colonization, it may be time to make a comeback and test it with DoaNE.

The changelog and the download link. Good game !

I just downloaded this mod to try it out and the first thing I checked was the Pedia. I noticed that, for example, some entries are empty or with some simple mistakes (minor) and that the Portuguese Colonies only start with 2 free colonists and a carrack while the Italian Colonies start with 1 free colonist, 1 hardy soldier and a carrack... and yes, I am Portuguese ^^

I will actually play now :p

Thank you for the new release!!! :clap: :worship:

Oh lord, it would be awesome to have the ammu feature in RaR (or some modmod)too... :mischief:

Spoiler :
Hey Commander B. - you wanna really improve your modmod? :D

Thank you for the new release!!! :clap: :worship:

Oh lord, it would be awesome to have the ammu feature in RaR (or some modmod)too... :mischief:

Spoiler :
Hey Commander B. - you wanna really improve your modmod? :D
Yes, I want to. :)

I've downloaded this version too (but not yet played). Anyway, any discussion about my modmod I would prefer to have in my thread. Let's not hijack other threads, please. :)

And to M07: continue with your work! :goodjob:

I am checking out this mod and it looks promising. I am liking the look and feel of the new Indian village trade screen but I have having trouble with it. The Indians don't seem to want any of my goods not even weapons, is this normal? And my goods don't seem to appear in the trade screen, and when I make a trade the new goods don't seem to appear either.

yeah I just need the personal energy to delve once more into a Col game

but I always liked your work.
He he. I understand. This version should really be easier for new players. The new screen of new eras, that I added on this last version, allow to players to know what are their objectives.
Take a look on my creenshot :
Spoiler :

In the bottom right of the screen, you can see all conditions to have the new era :)
Conditions are random for each game and players. Dazio and I love this feature :p

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 386
I just downloaded this mod to try it out and the first thing I checked was the Pedia. I noticed that, for example, some entries are empty or with some simple mistakes (minor) and that the Portuguese Colonies only start with 2 free colonists and a carrack while the Italian Colonies start with 1 free colonist, 1 hardy soldier and a carrack... and yes, I am Portuguese ^^
I agree, it is may be unfair. (I' am half Italian :p ). What do you like to have for Portuguese country? If it is good compromise, I will add your change in the next version.
For mistakes, you can send me a MP, I will fix it too in the next version.
Thanks for your comment ;)

Thank you for the new release!!!

Oh lord, it would be awesome to have the ammu feature in RaR (or some modmod)too...
Thanks for your comment too :)
I think you know we don't want to share our source code. (I know it is not a really good mentality) And I spend my free time to do change in my mod (not for other mods, selfish again :p).
Objectively, it is not so complicated to reproduced this system.
I mean you add the ammunition ressource (you can take icons from DoaNE).
For each profession, you add in XML tag like iAmmunition.
In the canDefend() and canAttack() methods you add :
if (getMunition() == 0) return false;
(I exagerate a little).
You add some commands to resupply your units and it is over.
It is not a big big feature.
However, I think it is more complicated the crew system (and most powerfull than ammunition system). We can corrupt ennemies crews, it is funny. I noticed the corruption of Portuguese crews is always working :p. I don't know why ^^.
Whatever, I think you will discover other features more powerful than ammunitions.

I am checking out this mod and it looks promising. I am liking the look and feel of the new Indian village trade screen but I have having trouble with it. The Indians don't seem to want any of my goods not even weapons, is this normal? And my goods don't seem to appear in the trade screen, and when I make a trade the new goods don't seem to appear either.
Thans againg for your comment. But the Indian village trade screen is not new :D.
Whatever, I will explain step by step :
Step 1 : You come with your ship or your wagon train with (for example 10 tools)
Spoiler :

1 : You can see all resources the native colony wants (no sword as you can see, they don't really use swords for fights)
2 : You can see all resources, the native colony has into their colony
3 : You can see all resources you have into your ship or wago train

Step 2 : You make a deal with natives by select some resources you want to have or to give. The simple solution is to click on proposal. The native will automatically say you what they want and what they give (it is the easier system for player).
But you can make a gift buy clicking on your tools anc click on the Validate button.
Spoiler :

1 : Resources you wish and you propose
2 : Validate Button is to say "I want the trade displaying on the Part 1"
3 : Proposal Button is to say :
- "What do you offer?(If you selected only your own ressources on the part 1)"
- "What do you want?(If you selected only their ressources on the part 1)"
- "What do you propose? (If you selected nothing)
4 : Natives proposes you a deal.

Step 3 : You accept the deal
Spoiler :

1 & 2 : You can see the deal is done and natives resources are in your ship.

I hope I was clear ;)

Attachments

• Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 352
  • Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 327
  • Capture3.jpg
    Capture3.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 413
Well, the "new" screen is new to me as I haven't seen it before. I still can not get a trade started with the Indians. I just rolled into a village with Cigars and it doesn't even appear on my trade screen? It says, In Stock 30/60, but no cigar icons. The Indians show that they desire Cigars. This is very early on in the game.

Edit: Also, I am guessing you can not buy goods from the Indians with gold as I see no options to simply purchase. So, you are forced to Barter, I like that idea.

I agree, it is may be unfair. (I' am half Italian :p ). What do you like to have for Portuguese country? If it is good compromise, I will add your change in the next version.
For mistakes, you can send me a MP, I will fix it too in the next version.
Thanks for your comment ;)
Ciao bello :lol:

The Portuguese were renowned for their fishermen so I would suggest 1 soldier (colonist) and 1 pioneer (fisherman) instead of two colonists.

Whatever way you see it, the Italian Colonies are overpowered because they get a better ship AND an expert unit. A fairer practice, which is common in other mods, is to allocate an expert unit OR a better ship, and the former you can even allocate a different expert unit to provide more flavour (hardy pioneer for the french, veteran soldier for the spanish, nothing for the dutch because they get a better ship, fisherman for the portuguese and master carpenter for the italian).

The mistakes I pointed out are more on the whole rather than specific words, in other words, it does not flow as well as it could (in part I believe because some of the text is not written by a native speaker). I'll try to find some of the text and the strings and PM you.

About the code: well, you are the modder so you can do whatever you want. I respect each opinion and work method.

After playing more hours I also want to praise:
- how the goods are cumulative in a ship cargo hold and wagon trains (no more having 2 units of tobacco on its own, now you can have 2 tobacco and say 28 cotton in the same cargo space)
- seaways to fix entry/exit points for safety and strategy planning
- the whole "I need to find the plants from the natives in order to grow them in a farm with an agronomist unit" + latitude constraints (forces sparse settlement) mechanics sounds interesting
- I LOVE how the city radius is back to 1 level (original COL) rather than 2 (like Civ4)
- you can see the Europe good stock and use that knowledge to slow the price decreases
- ammunition mechanics to give a realistic feel of war and fights

and to note the following:
- my scout keeps revealing terrain which is later hidden: is this intended?
- ditto for the ships
- the marsh tile doesn't give anything, not even food :(
- tiles with resources built on a farm, say cotton, only give that resource nothing else :(

Thanks for reading my feedback!

Hello Dunpeal,
(Translation by Google)

- ditto for the ships
Yes, it is willed. The explorer and ships are required to return a port to reveal a card in order to keep a maximum of mystery.
We hope ultimately change the concept of exploration.
Spoiler :
Oui, c'est voulu ainsi. L'explorateur et les navires sont obligés de rentrer dans un port pour révéler une carte, afin de garder un maximum de mystère.
Nous souhaitons, à terme, modifier le concept de l'exploration.

- the marsh tile doesn't give anything, not even food :(
Yes, it's true. We were somewhat severe and we should allow some food. We will change it for the next version.
Spoiler :
Oui, c'est vrai. Nous avons été un peu sévère et nous devrions permettre un peu de nourriture. Nous modifierons ça pour la prochaine version.

- tiles with resources built on a farm, say cotton, only give that resource nothing else :(
The plains are unsuited to many plantations , which is why we have devoted to the cultivation of cotton and food . We based on the real world and find latitudes and land best suited to each resource in the world ( the real world ) .
DoaNE trying to take this reality principle but we may make mistakes. If you have any examples or information on agriculture at this time, we may change some points.
Spoiler :
Les plaines sont inadaptées à beaucoup de plantations, c'est pourquoi nous les avons consacrées à la culture du coton et de la nourriture.
Nous nous sommes basés sur le monde réel et rechercher les latitudes et les terres les plus adaptées à chaque ressource dans le monde (le monde réel).
DoaNE essaye de reprendre ce principe réel mais nous avons peut-être fait des erreurs. Si vous avez des exemples ou des précisions sur l'agriculture à cette époque, nous pourrions modifier certains points.

Thank you for your comments and see you soon.

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunpeal View Post
- ditto for the ships

Yes, it is willed. The explorer and ships are required to return a port to reveal a card in order to keep a maximum of mystery.
We hope ultimately change the concept of exploration.

Just incase this was not entirely clear from the translator. Your ships and scouts have to land in one of your colonies and give it their new 'map'. The idea is that each scout and ship is drawing a map as it explores, then when it returns to a colony, the map becomes part of the public record and you can see everything they have found. It is a neat little feature, that makes exploration a bit more 'realistic' no more radioing back your latest progress from halfway across the continent :D

I think you know we don't want to share our source code.

Well it is your choice and nobody can force you to share your work.

However I still believe that sharing your sources and cooperating with other modders would also benefit your own mod.
(Bugfixes, improvments, modmods with new ideas and features, ...)

But as I said, it is your choice. :)

Objectively, it is not so complicated to reproduced this system.

Not if that feature is "human only" and AI plays by different rules.
But if AI should use such a feature and understand all its implications, it gets really tricky.

Well, the "new" screen is new to me as I haven't seen it before. I still can not get a trade started with the Indians. I just rolled into a village with Cigars and it doesn't even appear on my trade screen? It says, In Stock 30/60, but no cigar icons. The Indians show that they desire Cigars. This is very early on in the game.
Can you send me your save? I will try to reproduce it. It works for me. It is really strange.

Also, I am guessing you can not buy goods from the Indians with gold as I see no options to simply purchase. So, you are forced to Barter, I like that idea.
You right. We can't. It doesn't make sense to trade with golds. (Useless for indians :))

The Portuguese were renowned for their fishermen so I would suggest 1 soldier (colonist) and 1 pioneer (fisherman) instead of two colonists.

Whatever way you see it, the Italian Colonies are overpowered because they get a better ship AND an expert unit. A fairer practice, which is common in other mods, is to allocate an expert unit OR a better ship, and the former you can even allocate a different expert unit to provide more flavour (hardy pioneer for the french, veteran soldier for the spanish, nothing for the dutch because they get a better ship, fisherman for the portuguese and master carpenter for the italian).
Really good idea, I will talk with Dazio for this point, but It 'is good for me. Changes should be in the next version.

The mistakes I pointed out are more on the whole rather than specific words, in other words, it does not flow as well as it could (in part I believe because some of the text is not written by a native speaker). I'll try to find some of the text and the strings and PM you.
My English level evolved, and I wrote most of texts few years ago. But I have to admit it is far away to be perfect :mischief:

Top Bottom