[MOD] Fall from Heaven

Draax said:
Absolutely brilliant mod. I've been waiting for a mod like this to come out for a while. I haven't had a whole lot of time to stress the mod, but I'm going to start putting in some good test time soon.

Incidentally Kael, are you a fan of the (heroes of) might and magic family of games? A lot of your concepts run parallel to that game universe. Furthermore, since your mod is not commercial software, you might be able to obtain permission to use some old M&M skins and stuff.

And if you can't get permission, odds are you can get forgiveness. ;) Again, as long as this mod never sees a dime you can basically do what you want as long as you avoid plagiarism by giving proper credits.

And while I'm on the subject, if you want fantasy music, look no further than Heroes of Might and Magic IV. The "flavor" and quality of the music is comparable to the midieval period in civ4, and the game installs them conveniently as mp3s.

Love Hearoes of Might and Magic, and the old Might and Magic first person party based RPG's. I was just reading an article tonight about Heroes of Might and Magic V and I'm all excited.

Once the SDk comes out and we can actually import and export the models it would be interesting to see if anyone can convert the Heroes models into Civ 4 format. They would be perfect.

MattJek said:
Hi, I downloaded this mod and I had a few error messages as the game was restarting. I was able to start the mod but I noticed that the civs are the same as in the original game, also I noticed that the trojan horse is actually a tank. I just want to know if this was because of some file incompatablility due to the error messages got or because this mod is in the building stages, Thanks.

There are no new civs and the Trojan Horse is currently a tank, so it is working as intended. Well.... maybe not as intended but those pieces haven't been changed yet.

The new civs will come in phase 2 (still a while off) and the new model for the Trojan horse is waiting for the SDK (supposed to release in January I think).

loki1232 said:
1.I like the ideas for the civs, but think that each civ should actually be humans, just with different city graphics.
Of course each civ should have only one possible religion.

2.and what are the armageddon spells?
UN resolutions?

Right now the current wonders are planned for armageddon spells:

Apocalypse- Kills 50% of all units, destroys 50% of all buildings, halves city populations.
Bane Divine- All Disciple branch units are reduced to Prophets.
Blight- Destroys all food improvements, destroys 75% of all food bonus’s.
Celestial Realignment- Destroys all active Armageddon spells.
Doom Inexorable- Summons Meshabber of Dis (avatar unique unit)
Enslave the Earth- Creates the Mithril Golem (avatar unique unit)
Entropy Unbound- Slowly destroys the map.
Glory Everlasting- All Demon units are killed.
Knell of Darkness- Any living units that die within the owning players borders are raised as skeletons.
Open Gate- Randomly produces demon units.

3.Will you give the archer units ranged attacks?
just the marskman?

The archers are planned to have ranged attacked, just the mages, catapalts and cannons. The marksman isn't planned to have a ranged attacked, he is planned to be able to be able to select the unit in the stack he is attacking to fight.

4.When one of my immortals dies, does it get reborn with its old experience?

Yes. And all of his promotions, levels, etc.

More fireballs!!!

and events goping to be added soon?

Fireballs should be coming Friday. Events will not be in 0.60, they are scehduled for Phase 1, but I don't have a time on them yet.

vDrag0n said:
How do you get Typhoid Mary? I made the wonder for it but nothing poped out, neither could i produce it.

You're right, it was broke, fixed in 0.60. Thanks for the heads up.

wallace2 said:
First off, I’ve just got to do the obligatory “wow” statement and note how impressed I am by this mod, especially considering that CIV is so new.

I just wanted to note something I didn’t see elsewhere on the posts (forgive me if I missed it). I love the idea of the golems, powerful and non limited units that do not gain experience, but there are a few difficulties I have with them.
1) The first issue is simply mechanical. The stone golem costs the same (400 hammers) as the iron golem. I’m guessing that he was only supposed to cost 200 hammers.

You are correct, fixed in 0.60.

2) I’d like to have access to these interesting units earlier in the game, and have a reason for making the lesser golems. If golem mastery was made available earlier, before everyone is likely to have iron working, then copper and stone golems might actually be useful. I like having arcane lore as a prerequisite, but perhaps arcane lore could come earlier, only requiring writing instead of literature for instance. I’m also not sure why arcane lore needs initiative as a requisite. If arcane lore was moved up this way, stone golems could require the stone or marble resource and be in play fairly early. Copper golems would show up around the time of axemen. This might make them a bit overpowered, so perhaps their cost should be raised. Iron golems should be fine as they are. Just a thought, but I noticed everyone was talking about how all the neat units can only be built fairly late in the game.

3) The mithril tech could allow mithril golems. I think this was being saved for a wonder, but it would be a nice addition to the high end units. If it follows the standard pattern established, it would have a strength of 16, +50% vs. city, immune to disease and cost 600 hammers. I’d give it a move of 2 to differentiate it, and because mithril is supposed to be light (in the Tolkien ethos anyway).

Yeah, the art for the mithril golem is already made up but I pulled it to be a wonder like you said. To be honest I love the golem idea, and I do want "magic" based players to be able to field some melee units, but Im having a hard time figuring out exactly how to fit them in. I would like to get to a point where mages can go all the way from stiching together corpses to make frankenstein-ish flesh golems all the way up to the Mithril Golem wonder. I just need more models.

I worked through each "type" of unit. Starting with the hunter line, on to archers, melee, disciples and mages. Since the mages were last they have the most technically demanding abilities (by the time I got to them I knew how to do more) but they are also the least balanced. After the addition of fireballs they may be even more uber.

Darn, I'm having trouble getting it to load. I put it in my mod folder, right? Or do I put it somewhere else? I hope somebody's still up to answer :/

This is only the second or third mod I've downloaded, and since there were no directions given, I can't remember how to do it. Thanks.

Guess no one's up, but basically I have the same problem as Llabak did. I load the mod, it prompts a restart, I go to custom, but it's just the normal game. My CivIV init file is in the Fall from Heaven mod folder, and it's the mod folder in Program files. Is there a particular way I'm supposed to extract the files? Thanks for bearing with me...I've never had much difficult with this in the past.

Felzor said:
Guess no one's up, but basically I have the same problem as Llabak did. I load the mod, it prompts a restart, I go to custom, but it's just the normal game. My CivIV init file is in the Fall from Heaven mod folder, and it's the mod folder in Program files. Is there a particular way I'm supposed to extract the files? Thanks for bearing with me...I've never had much difficult with this in the past.

Try putting the mod in Civ4/mods. Not the program files path.

0.60 sounds like a better X-mas present than the socks and underwear I normally get!

woodelf said:
0.60 sounds like a better X-mas present than the socks and underwear I normally get!

:lol: :rotfl:

I'm looking forward to it as well... :D

Still playing the Mod, but haven't found anything new to report that hasn't been mentioned yet... :goodjob:

I'm with DragonLord. I'm still playing, but haven't noticed anything that hasn't already been said. Once v0.6 comes out we'll have lots of things to talk about.

Levty said:
- If not discovered by a human Veil and Order come to life far too late - it happened I waited over 150 turns after development of three 'basic' religions since the AI adopted one of those...

The spread rate of the Ashen Veil and the Order have been increased to account for their late start. They are only 1 tech further into the tree than the others if you drive straight to them, but of course the techs order is so loose that how long it takes any particular player to get to them varies wildly.

- The idea of Monotheism seems to be a problem. We have a pantheon of gods who somehow relate to each other and even influence the mortals, yet a whole group of people decides not to believe in the existance of the other gods? If the followers of Order would disregard the existance of Veil it would make their 'crusade' rather pointless. It's just like a group of ancient greeks who would cease to believe in existance of other gods so they could concentrate on following Zeus only. Just a thought.

You and your cursed logic! :)

Your right, I will have to look at making some world specific relgion tech names when I tighten the tech tree.

Felzor said:

In your c:\program files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods\ folder you should have the following folders:

American Revolution
Desert War
Fall From Heaven
Greek World
Tutorial

The Fall from Heaven folder is a straight extract of everything that was in the zipped folder. It should have a Fall from Heaven.ini and an assets folders in it.

Note: You can't just place the compressed file in the mod directory, even though you can browse into it the game won't be able to read from it.

First, Kael, this mod is the best I've seen and played so far. I'm a real fantasy freak so thanks for this!:thanx:

I haven't found any bug that hasn't been already mentionend. So here are some ideas for this mod:

1) The religions. It always happend that I found one religion and an other AI civ the remaining religions. This gets a bit boring because then there are only two great religions: the mine and the of the AI.:cry:

2) The priests. Not only the disciples but also the priests should be able to spread religion.

3) The tech tree. It is confusing (also for the AI) because sometimes I have to decide between fifteen or so techs.:crazyeye: Also you research the techs to fast in the mittle (only three turns for each).

4) Some Wonders. The special wonders for the religions like Yggdrasil and the Mines of Gal-Dur should only be built by the civs following these religion.

5) More religious units. This makes it funnier because of the difference between the religions.

6) The civics. Some of then are too modern (Free Religion, Represantation) or simply don't fit to some religions (Sacrifice the Weak -> the fellowship or Liberty -> The Order?).:sad:

7) Bonuses. The Religions have special effects.
The Runes can pass the Mountains and build
roads on them.
The Fellowship can't cut forests and jungels
but these fields give more food or something like that.
The Order can draftunits without unhappyness.
The Ashen Veil can sacrifice populaion to boost
production without unhappyness.
The Octopus Overlords can build naval units,
harbours and lighthouses much faster.

These are my ideas for the game and I hope you like them and I hope that they are possible. Great work! Keep it up!:goodjob:

Hiya Kael checking in again.

Slight qualm about gameplay...tiny one actually...

-> Hunters cost a lot less than Dwarven Warriors, but they have the same attack and a greater movement. They have different benefits(i.e. the Dwarfs can be sacrificed for production), but surely the main purpose of the warrior is to fight, and to be quite honest in a war situation i find that a Hunter is much more quickly produced and faster to get where it is needed, so i build them instead of Dwarf Warriors. In summary, Dwarves are more expensive than Hunters but arent as good in combat, and i think it is strange that a civ following Runes of Kilmorph would produce hunters rather than the religions Unique Unit. Just pointing this out, im afraid i cant suggest a solution- sorry, im just the critic! hehe

mrkingkong

Black Whole said:
First, Kael, this mod is the best I've seen and played so far. I'm a real fantasy freak so thanks for this!:thanx:

I haven't found any bug that hasn't been already mentionend. So here are some ideas for this mod:

1) The religions. It always happend that I found one religion and an other AI civ the remaining religions. This gets a bit boring because then there are only two great religions: the mine and the of the AI.:cry:

I haven't had this experience. All of the religons do tend to be in the same branch of the tree so I can see how this would be possible. When I go to tighten the tree I will look at seperating this out a bit more.

2) The priests. Not only the disciples but also the priests should be able to spread religion.

This will be included in 0.60

3) The tech tree. It is confusing (also for the AI) because sometimes I have to decide between fifteen or so techs.:crazyeye: Also you research the techs to fast in the mittle (only three turns for each).

The tech tree does need cleaned up. I don't mind having tech's people can grab fast. That way everyone eventually comes to the same point, but your choices are around where do you want to go first, and how will it benifit you.

4) Some Wonders. The special wonders for the religions like Yggdrasil and the Mines of Gal-Dur should only be built by the civs following these religion.

A few people have mentioned this. Currently the wonder is in a tech behind the relgion giving tech. Both the religion giving tech and the wonder giving tech are useless if you arent the first to discover (they dont continue on to anything). This seemed to me like a big enough incentive to give the founding civ a big lead to the wonder, while still allowing it to be open to those who spend enough to earn it.

I will think about it.

5) More religious units. This makes it funnier because of the difference between the religions.

I definitly want this, they are in the orgional design doc. I just ran out of models (and I want to give flavor to every unit, and I dont have that in some of the one's that are in the game). There will be more down the road.

6) The civics. Some of then are too modern (Free Religion, Represantation) or simply don't fit to some religions (Sacrifice the Weak -> the fellowship or Liberty -> The Order?).:sad:

This will be improved in 0.60.

7) Bonuses. The Religions have special effects.
The Runes can pass the Mountains and build
roads on them.
The Fellowship can't cut forests and jungels
but these fields give more food or something like that.
The Order can draftunits without unhappyness.
The Ashen Veil can sacrifice populaion to boost
production without unhappyness.
The Octopus Overlords can build naval units,
harbours and lighthouses much faster.

These are my ideas for the game and I hope you like them and I hope that they are possible. Great work! Keep it up!:goodjob:

Those are all good ideas. I look at what it will take to doi it, or something like it.

I like the bonuses Black Whole mentioned as well. At the rate the ideas are coming there will be a v0.7 before any of the Phases. :p

Still need a good audio clips for the following spells being cast:

- Fireball
- Meteor Swarm
- Entangle
- Summon Demon
- Summon Fire Elemental
- Bless
- Cure Disease
- Entangle
- Vitalize
- Escape

Kael said:
In your c:\program files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods\ folder you should have the following folders:

American Revolution
Desert War
Fall From Heaven
Greek World
Tutorial

The Fall from Heaven folder is a straight extract of everything that was in the zipped folder. It should have a Fall from Heaven.ini and an assets folders in it.

Note: You can't just place the compressed file in the mod directory, even though you can browse into it the game won't be able to read from it.

That might be the problem. I don't have a Fall From Heaven.ini. Nope, not there, nomatter how many times I extract the files. Maybe a faulty download? Let me download the archived files again from a different server. That's one thing I havn't done. By the way, I do have all the other scenarios in that folder and they do indeed work. Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom