Modded Civ4 will be better than vanilla ciV

What will you play?

• Total voters
You can't tell until you played Civ5. I suggest you dig up this topic in the autumn of 2010.

Let's see... modded civ3's greatest scenarios (RFRE, TAM, etc.) were way better than unmodded vanilla civ4. As there are some great civ4 mods as well (mos notably, Fall from Heaven II), I'd rather say that those will be better than civ 5 until we catch up and mod it.

Will play Civ V over anything else. I will leave Civ 4 behind and all the mods for it.

But of course the whole thing I love is adding mods to the game for stuff I think it 'needs'. And after playing Civ V awhile, mods will start to appear and also each of use will identify things we'd like to change.

The beauty of Civ is that we can, with the game company's blessing.

Well, civ V will be surely filled with logic gaps and unbalances that will allow horrid exploits when it comes out, even if because playtesting does not catch it all ( and this with the benign suposition that the playtesting results are taken seriously by the developers ). That alone will make Civ V worse than a fully patched and modded Civ IV

Well, civ V will be surely filled with logic gaps and unbalances that will allow horrid exploits when it comes out, even if because playtesting does not catch it all ( and this with the benign suposition that the playtesting results are taken seriously by the developers ). That alone will make Civ V worse than a fully patched and modded Civ IV

I can't agree with you here, you make it sound as if Sid's development team is a bunch of bumbling idiots. Have faith. Civ V will be excellent on it's own, in stock form. Any mods will only enhance that, besides, mods are simply changing the game to one's own personal tastes.

well I wouldn't disagree with r_rolo1 but I wouldn't go that far either. It will have some logic gaps and some things missing. I think we've already established that there's no religion in ciV. Some of the best cIV mods out there will easily compete with 5 for awhile, but it won't take long before patches and mods make 5 better.

Nevertheless, I'm stoked about it, can't wait to play!

I can't agree with you here, you make it sound as if Sid's development team is a bunch of bumbling idiots. Have faith. Civ V will be excellent on it's own, in stock form. Any mods will only enhance that, besides, mods are simply changing the game to one's own personal tastes.

Any new game starts out with a ton of bugs. It's a fact of life, and we already have the track record of civ4 to prove it. For example, pre-1.09 civ4 that caused ATI cards to be unable to even launch the game.

There's a reason BtS has always had an unofficial patch. You simply can't catch everything before release.

I personaly don't plan to get civ 5. (spell it right for crying out loud!!!)

I was hiped about it but after learning of the many modifications (no religion, no SOD, no leader traits...) I just think that it deviates way to far from the whole CIV4 thing that I love.

It was not my intention to call anyone a idiot. My point is simple: there will be surely some exploit material passing through the fingers of playtesting. That happened in SMAC, it happened in Civ III, it happened in Civ IV ( hammer overflow, AP in general , str 18 cossacks, vanilla redcoats, CS slingshot ( either via oracle or bulb ), perpetual anarchy ... I could go on atleast a page ). For heavens sake, even this week it was discovered a new bug in BtS ( nothing serious, but still )... I have faith in the coders, but the code will surely be too big and the playtesting too limited to correct all the bugs and exploits before the release . They are human after all ...

The only program without bugs is the hello world program. The rest are simply waiting to be discovered.
Even the hello world can be bugged due to defective syntax :p

I can't vote for this poll, it has no option for me! What about those of us who are going to switch to Civ5 to mod it? You left the most valuable people out, the Modders! ;)

I can't vote for this poll, it has no option for me! What about those of us who are going to switch to Civ5 to mod it? You left the most valuable people out, the Modders! ;)

It's implied that it will take some time for ciV modding to reach the level of Civ4 modding

I reject that. I expect to have a fully fledged Civ5 mod in 6 months (after release). Or less. ;)
Wanna start planning ahead?

Top Bottom