Module - More Great Sage buildings

All right, I've tried it out now... my limited playtest (single player) is that I'm getting pretty decent good results, and the bad results are not all that bad. This late in the game, your "Rift city" should have someone in it capable of curing disease, which knocks out many of the worst effects of mutation or the occasional disease or plague. Anything which spawns a "boss" or light stuff like orcs, skeletons, bears, or spiders should be wiped out by the local troops the turn they spawn, or better yet rangers will capture some critters. Things like poison or falling rubble aren't worth mentioning.

Bad effects that you cannot avoid are pretty limited. Enervation, Crazed, Crazed/Demon, "never returns from the depths", or certain bad Mutation effects like Weak, Vulnerability to Fire, maybe a few others... they're the price you pay.

Good effects, there's lots of them. Gold, golden ages, great people, the tile you're sitting on all of a sudden becoming a mana or resource source, free techs, free XP, spirit guide promo, the list is pretty good.

I've been playing a Dural game, finally got my "Rift city", I was running Empyrean so I had Chalid buffing the whole city with Valor, maybe a dozen Iron Champions (half upgraded from Radiant Guards, and the weaker group following a Tactician who'd feed off their XP), a few Longbowmen, a couple Professors to cure disease (and for some reason I thought "Courage" improves dungeon results, which comes from their "Hope" buff), Karlsson is sitting in the city as well. Some animal-subduing rangers are also there.

Over call it "less than ten turns", with virtually everyone participating in exploration (20 explorers per turn), maybe three units have been Enervated, one simply "lost to the depths", various mutations which post-Cures, were beneficial. TONS of monsters, all easily mopped up by Valor'd champions or sometimes caught by rangers (spiders, bears), lots of XP. I regretted not having any direct damage mages with things like Maelstrom, no Air mana *shrugs*

I probably scored one technology (Divine Essence, which upped four of these Champs to Immortals), got 3 great merchant prisoners, 1 great general (tactician who started leading more of the Champs), 1 great engineer, LOTS of gold, a golden age, a couple guys got "spirit guide", a few "learned much from other adventurers" (award of a couple xp), and many times, my city tile itself ended up a resource source... Copper for awhile, Death mana, Spirit Mana, I think eventually Nature mana. You never know when you're going to lose that resource though. I think also one Compelling Jewel, one Ring of Perception, a Heart Amulet, a Rod of Winds, and a couple potions popped too (which themselves would've been worth thousands of gold if I'd built the Bazaar instead).

I did not risk my actual Heroes in the exploration. Karlsson already had a decent mutation on him, but I didn't want to risk things like Crazed/Demon/Enervation. Chalid is un-mutated, so he'd be at even greater risk.

Anyhow, this was in single player, maybe I would've never had the luxury to have such a big fat garrison doing nothing but "exploring" in MP. It did feel like a LOT of bang for the buck, the city became an XP, gold and great person fountain, sure it's late game, but if you compare that against a one time "lightbulb" from a sage, adding them to a city or other normal things to do, the rift business is very, very attractive.

I think that despite the observation that "this late, good stuff is minor", above, I'd differ on the point as soon as you start noticing great people popping. Sacrifice one Great Sage to get potentially more Great People if you're a risk taker? Yes please. All the gold and other goodies are a bonus worth crippling the occasional nameless, faceless Champion for.

Probably the best solution without making a custom table.

I think it would be good. You still get the successes/hurts, but decreasing the rate keeps it from becoming an exploit. (Popping baddies, for example, would be a great way to quickly level up weaker units up without waiting for passive experience buildings.) It really should be along the lines of 'a new dungeon every day', not 'as many dungeons a day as you have people.'

Plus, there's always the chance that the 'the lair still stands' even should happen, meaning that every once in a while you will get a second chance. If you want to increase that even more, simply build more portals with more sages in other cities.

Perhaps the best way to code it would be some version of 'create new dungeon every turn/destroy dungeon at end of turn', so that a new dungeon (with new results) spawns every turn. That would also cover the 'the lair still stands' event as well, without rolling over multiple dungeons.

Can that be done? Can you have it once per day per city and not per unit? if so that would be great, if not a long "cast time" per unit may be an easy answer.

But it's so FUN! I am going to keep it as it is in my game until I manage to get to a game where I can actually build the darn thing.

The simplest answer would be to have it create a "building" in the city when used, which has a pyperturn that makes it destroy itself.

Then, have the reqexplore spell python check for existence of that building, and return false if it exists. Then, it would be explorable exactly once per turn.

As a side note, I rather like the idea of having this effect as an alternate Dimensional III spell. A spell to open a portal to another dimension, possibly more weighted towards bad results than usual.

Or maybe we just need scarier bigbad results in the lategame. If the biggest negative results are being brushed off by your city defenders, maybe they're just not big enough.

The aforementioned massive hellbeast would be an appropriate result.

As a side note, I rather like the idea of having this effect as an alternate Dimensional III spell. A spell to open a portal to another dimension, possibly more weighted towards bad results than usual.
I sort of envision it like Star Gate. There's both really good and really bad out there, but if you're careful and discrete (and limit to just one world at a time), you can go ages without running into anything.

Or maybe we just need scarier bigbad results in the lategame. If the biggest negative results are being brushed off by your city defenders, maybe they're just not big enough.

The aforementioned massive hellbeast would be an appropriate result.
Or an M1 Abrams tanks with 60 attack, blitz, and march. Let's see your swordsmen stop that now. :lol:

Hahaha, a tank. I support the idea of stuff from standard Civ coming through this warphole.
Remind me to kill the M1 abrams with a unit with Command IV or one of Xiven's units with Pursuasive and Command II.

WHAT IS THAT THING THE AMURITES HAVE?
"I don't know sir. but I surrender."

On the other hand, once the tank runs out of gas it would likely be fairly useless. Although I suppose they could eventually find a way to power it magically...

Can I sacrifice it to reverse-engineer it and then have Amurite-built Tanks?

"with six inch thick Chobham armor and ground speeds of 30mph the Amurite "Dain" 2 tank is the ultimate in battlefield superiority. Crewed by a driver, a commander, a gunner and two mages, nothing even comes close."

On the other hand, once the tank runs out of gas it would likely be fairly useless. Although I suppose they could eventually find a way to power it magically...

Body III and a couple dozen Hamstalfar will make that puppy go! Make some super-hamsters and just have 'em start pushing the turbines.

Fire II (propulsion) and hamster skeletons (ammo) will give it it's main gun back. (The Russians used voles fired from anti-tank rifles early in WWII.)

Small cosmetic bug. The City Defender (Maytar?) Promo icon looks great when you look at each unit individually, but when you mouse over the city that promo doesn't show up and is instead a pink box that is 4 times bigger than any other promo icon.

Eh, how do I access the Djinn Bazaar? I was testing to see if I loaded the module correctly (finally did, though it won't load previous games), and I realized I didn't know how to access the Djinn shop. Starting from turn 1 with world builder I got the sages to give me the buildings, but the only time I could even get the Alchemist shop items was when I had enough money.

Is that how it works? Get enough money, the ~promotion~ to buy it is open? No shop screen or popup?

Most likely, the spells aren't marked as bDisplayWhenDisabled, which means you'll only see the options to cast when you meet the condition, like having enough money

changing that tag is an easy fix to make them always show.

Yeah, I noticed that this module is not friendly to load in the middle of an existing game.

Yeah, I noticed that this module is not friendly to load in the middle of an existing game.
Well, I was already winning. Total tech dominance after bee-lining libraries, and by turn 250 I had a superlead. Tends to happen at medium-most difficulty, but I can't stand the stacks of doom warfare at higher levels. Someone really needs to put in that 'crowded' effect someone once proposed.

When I get it released, you should play under my AI changes. It makes the AI behave more like nations and less like FPS gamers frothing at the mouth for a little combat.

Top Bottom