MOO2Civ

Got distracted by Wow - until all my RL friends left me (again....)
Not sure I'm 100% back but work has slowed a bit lately so I have some time while I am there at the least to post.

The espionage lines should go at the end. So it matches the v3.17 default file and it's a good idea coding wise to be consistent.
The files are otherwise identical so I would just copy the one from the base FF and replace the download.
As I found out when I started editing buildings for this mod =P

I'm wondering if I have time to go slog through the one python file I made tons of changes in and see if I can update it with my code and keep Jon's updates (if any).
That requires some significant time for no visible benefit, but again it's probably something that should be done.

OK, cool. Do you mind if I upload 3.17 hot fixes for both files? (I'll post links in 1st post and on the original DL Page then - but if you want to update your own DL Page, that's fine too, ofcourse. The credit is yours in any case.)

Appreciate your looking in on these forums and just spend whatever time you want on updating - I'm sure whichever way it turns out it'll be well received. Personally I'm just glad to have a chance to actually (well, virtually...) talk to the original creator of this mod.:worship:

Go ahead and upload 'em. I don't think I have edit permissions. =)

Other than some fancy re-coding (with help) of one python file to remove some of Jon's admittedly bad hardcode which in turn helped me figure out how to add different + benefits for the production/research buildings, it was not much more than a ton of copy/pasting in XML.

I had a ton of ideas for other stuff but most of which I knew would require significant dll/python work along the lines of Kael's FFH mod.
One of those was to make the energy absorber give the unit that was attacked but survived an ability to deal bombard damage or the like but I ended up simplfying it to +10def and +10atk in order to keep moving ahead.

One thing I was looking into just before I stopped was how to design ships.
My plan was to make a default ship with a certain number of weapons and system by default. then make a 2nd model with that many free promotions to allow customization. It seemed like it shouldn't be that hard to pull off but i never really buckled down on it.

And obviously the direct copy of MOO2 numbers doesn't necessarily mean anything is balanced. Especially with some of the racial bonuses not implemented. And I won't even get started on custom races /shudder although again I'd love to have 'em.

I thought python was out of my league but I have some basic programming knowledge and scripting experience and was able to work it somewhat. I'm best at modifying something someone else wrote to change it. New stuff is going to be a bit beyond my talents. I had planned to get a basic shell working and then if there as interest try to recruit a dedicated programmer for new features.

Go ahead and upload 'em. I don't think I have edit permissions. =)

Will do.

As concerns unit promotions/stats (and any other modifications/improvements you'd like to see in) I'd say: whatever you have time for, go ahead with it. (There's plenty of MOO players out there to test for game balance - which, BTW, I plan on doing myself as well.);)

I'm glad to hear the v3.17 problem got worked out. :goodjob:

Cool to see you back in it a bit NNCSavage. :cool:

I'm a big MOO fan and have been playing it since MOO1 came out on 2.5 inch floppy disk (which I still have, though I wouldn't try finding a drive for it :)). MOO2 is my all time fav game next to Civs and I would love to see it totally cloned into Civ4.

A good job has been done with all the Techs and Buildings, which is the big part of work, and now we can start cloning a few of MOO2 specific systems.

The two most important MOO2 systems I see are the the custom creation of ships and the custom creation of a Player's species.

The first is the most important in my opinion. I think the best way to handle this is to clone all the MOO2 ship parts as Civ4 Promotions. Python can then be used to check these Promotions and apply any need effects. A lot of them won't need any Python at all, but a few might.

Heck, if someone gets all the ship parts cloned to Promotions, assuming yall have nothing against a custom dll, I would totally be willing to make any SDK changes that are required.

The most time consuming, and critical, parts of a mod are the XML changes, and if others can do those, I am totally here to help on this project. :)

This is intended to be added after the main Patch 4 install
I did not feel 5 files updated warranted another 30MB download =)

.?? 07/19/2008 Patch 4b
Fixed Trilarian Flag and button (i hate alpha channels =P)
Fixed a bunch of missing TXT info, which in turn fixes the planet city screen and system view displays
Leaving the Civ4GameOptionInfos.xml in there as well for the 3.17 just in case
5 files updated (6 if you count the copy of above)

I get this message when clicking the 4b patch link in your sig:

Sorry, the page you were looking for could not be found.

MOO2Civ 3.17 fix added to post #1; simply download and unzip into your MOO2Civ folder (and let overwrite). Thanks to NCCSavage.

(Link has also been added to MOO2CIV and Patch4 Download Pages.)

Sorry for the lack of response, but I've been out of town for a couple of days.

I'm glad to hear the v3.17 problem got worked out. :goodjob:

Cool to see you back in it a bit NNCSavage. :cool:

I'm a big MOO fan and have been playing it since MOO1 came out on 2.5 inch floppy disk (which I still have, though I wouldn't try finding a drive for it :)). MOO2 is my all time fav game next to Civs and I would love to see it totally cloned into Civ4.

A good job has been done with all the Techs and Buildings, which is the big part of work, and now we can start cloning a few of MOO2 specific systems.

The two most important MOO2 systems I see are the the custom creation of ships and the custom creation of a Player's species.

The first is the most important in my opinion. I think the best way to handle this is to clone all the MOO2 ship parts as Civ4 Promotions. Python can then be used to check these Promotions and apply any need effects. A lot of them won't need any Python at all, but a few might.

Heck, if someone gets all the ship parts cloned to Promotions, assuming yall have nothing against a custom dll, I would totally be willing to make any SDK changes that are required.

The most time consuming, and critical, parts of a mod are the XML changes, and if others can do those, I am totally here to help on this project. :)

Although the 3.17 hotfix now makes MOO2Civ playable, it still leaves some (hopefully) minor problems.

As concerns ship parts/upgrades, most of these are already translated into ship promotions. Nevertheless, any help offered is more than welcome, as I currently have precious little spare time to contribute much else then to post updates.

Anyway, I'll post an updated Status Report soon, as the download count now is at 1,800+, showing a continued support from MOO fans for this mod.;)

I can add promotions in very easily.
Copy/paste + an add to the pedia files = 10 minutes or work or less

What problems are still out there?
If anyone comes across any TXT labels let me know.
I ran thru everything and played with mouseovers and tracked down what I could.

List of things that should be done:
Compare Python updates from 3.17 and see if I need to merge my code with it.
Button fixes or new art for all the promotions.
- specifically torpedoes I recall have a button that doesn't make sense, I'm sure there are others
figure out how to work Civics in, preferably use at least one branch for the advanced governments.
create some default ships, maybe even UU's - then work on customizable ones
religions? Orion, Antaran(less chance of being attacked maybe - access to antaran techs?), Agnostic, etc?
remove original FF PDFs - set moo2 battleoids, etc to movement 0, then figure out some way to transport them as well (regular cargo might work)
fix initial unit for all civs to be a probe or scout ship

Link fixed - extra space in there =)

Uploaded Patch4b (including 3.17 update) to the DL Database; added link in post #1 plus the DL Page and added file to the list of New/Updated Files. This patch is compatible with pre-3.17 Save Games.;)

@NCCSavage:

As for race-specific ships: so far mostly fighter/bomber models are available (planned to include in Patch5).

As regards Orion/Antares: Orion would need 2 units (Guardian and the ship you get when invading Orion) + one advance (which you get when invading Orion). Antaran ships should replace the Pirates that are still in; ideally the Antarans should have their own ships as well (stronger than the ones the Pirates now use).

I really like your Battleoid idea!;)

As for the actual Antaran attacks, I think they may be easily configured with an event. And yes - definitely some custom ships there.

Not sure about Orion. Have to muck with the map creation code somehow to set it up I would think. That would be something to look into down the road.

As for the actual Antaran attacks, I think they may be easily configured with an event. And yes - definitely some custom ships there.

That would be cool!

Not sure about Orion. Have to muck with the map creation code somehow to set it up I would think. That would be something to look into down the road.

Hmmm, I was gonna add a scenario including both Orion and Antares for Patch4, but ran into a problem trying to edit deanej's FF Flat map... (I have some hope for a solution for this now- so it might be possible this ends up in Patch5.) Random generated Orion and Antares would be cooler still, tho.

Well after a quick look at the python for maps I think placing Orion would be the easiest part.
The code for creating systems seems reasonably documented.
Generate a random number from 1 to numplanets
Check to make sure it's not a home system (hehe).
Then change the details of that system to Orion.

Create the Guardian, movement 0 of course and that should do it.
I think if I gave it the "cant take cities ability" the system would never be populated and get around the whole Orion system producing stuff issue as well.

Might even be able to use the Event system to generate a message to all players when it is found.

I spent some time last night researching the custom ship stuff.
Pretty sure I need to use the OnUnitCreated function
With something like if pUnit.currentclass == ("UNITCLASS_CUSTOMDESTROYER") then "grant 10 free promotions"
Not sure there is a way currently in game to grant 10 choosable promotions without changing the level. (if you know of something that does that for 1 promo, let me know)
Workaround might be to just grant xp equal to level 10 off the bat. (this works btw)

That sounds pretty well thought out!:thumbsup:

Ideally Orion would be a special i.e. Gaia planet. I reckon the same thing might be used to include Space Monsters as well, eventually - but the Guardian is a good starting point, as it's essential to MOO. Would be cool if capturing Orion generated Lokar plus 1 special (non-researchable) advance as well, like the Death Ray.

I just fixed some more stuff and got the workaround promo thing in.
Probes get lvl 11 on creation which is 10 promotions.
Fixed where everyone got free buildings on every planet, the +4xp and bonus yields (all the civ bonuses from the original FF civs)
Fixed the Gnolam flag not showing(again? sigh)

I'd put up a patch but I don't want to make you have to change your stuff =P
Especially since to make a custom destroyer or whatever we'd be editing the same files.

Hey, it's your mod basically; I just started the thread and uploaded some patches. So load up a patch anytime you want. Also, the only custom units/models I've been able to collect so far are in the Scout/Fighter/Bomber range (due to size); any custom Destroyer (or whatever) is more than welcome!

But if you want to wait a while and perhaps add some more stuff (a Guardian maybe?) that's fine too, ofcourse.;)

[EDIT] Perhaps change the link for 4b in your sig to the official Database File: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=10086

MOO2Civ (Patch4) is now at 1,900+ downloads!:D (At this rate it'll be doubtful Patch5 will be up before the counter reaches 2,000...)

Top Bottom