Moran Sergeant discharged for birtherism

Depends whether the Oath is to the country, or instrument thereof (e.g a constitution), or whether it is directly to the Head of State....

Compare the Weimar pledge to the post 1934 one in Germany:

"I swear loyalty to the Reich's constitution and pledge, that I as a courageous soldier always want to protect the German Reich and its legal institutions, (and) be obedient to the Reichspräsident and to my superiors."

Vs

"I swear by God this holy oath, that I want to offer unconditional obedience to the Führer of the German Reich and people, Adolf Hitler, the commander-in-chief of the Wehrmacht, and be prepared as a brave soldier to risk my life for this oath at any time."

Depends whether the Oath is to the country, or instrument thereof (e.g a constitution), or whether it is directly to the Head of State....

Compare the Weimar pledge to the post 1934 one in Germany:

"I swear loyalty to the Reich's constitution and pledge, that I as a courageous soldier always want to protect the German Reich and its legal institutions, (and) be obedient to the Reichspräsident and to my superiors."

Vs

"I swear by God this holy oath, that I want to offer unconditional obedience to the Führer of the German Reich and people, Adolf Hitler, the commander-in-chief of the Wehrmacht, and be prepared as a brave soldier to risk my life for this oath at any time."

or:

"I, Flying Pig, swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her heirs and successors, and that I will, as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, Her heirs and successors, in person, crown and dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, her Heirs and successors, and of the generals and officers set over me - so help me God!"

I can hardly believe that there are still birthers... on the other hand, considering people in general are stupid, it seems easy to believe.

Great use of the picture, by the way.
To me this is the problem. I hate the fact that people in general have a lack of understanding that these "birthers" represent a small section in society, and doesn't actually mirror all Americans. It also kinda proves why there is such cynicism exist in our democracy as well.

"I, Flying Pig, swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her heirs and successors, and that I will, as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, Her heirs and successors, in person, crown and dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, her Heirs and successors, and of the generals and officers set over me - so help me God!"

I've always found it interesting that the British Armed Forces swear allegiance to the Crown, rather than the state.

I've always found it interesting that the British Armed Forces swear allegiance to the Crown, rather than the state.

At least it is consistent with the naming conventions - HMS Ark Royal is Her Majesty's Ship, rather than United Kingdom Ship or some such.

I believe the Royal Navy does not swear an oath to Her Majesty, but Flying Pig will either confirm or deny

Slightly more sympathetic to his situation, but he still had a choice to fight the Germans or collaborate with them didnt he?

But he was the legitimate leader of France, and thus could not have committed treason.

I believe the Royal Navy does not swear an oath to Her Majesty, but Flying Pig will either confirm or deny

No, because it's Her Majesty's rather than set up by an Act of Parliament as are the Army and RAF (so, I think, they're assumed to be loyal to the Crown first) and neither do Royal Marine officers (who are not enlisted, unlike their Army counterparts, before commissioning) because, apparently, officers don't need an oath to keep them in order.

But he was the legitimate leader of France, and thus could not have committed treason.

That wasnt a point I ever tried to argue....and apparently the Free French didnt see it that way.

Yeah, Quisling was really an allright guy....
You'll note that Civver said "Betraying your country isn't intrinsically bad", not "Betraying your country is the best possible course of action in every conceivable situation. Seriously." That makes your comment just a little incomprehensible.

Top Bottom