More on Diplomatic Agreements

Khan Quest

Prince
Any diplomatic agreement should be breakable at any time, albeit with a reputation hit.

The length of an agreement should be negotiable, from one to a hundred, or more turns. Another negotiable possibility is an agreement continues indefinitely until either side decides to terminate it.

Prior to WWI, many European countries had secret alliances. Civ IV should allow secret agreements. Secret agreements should not come with out cost. There could some price like, X gold per city in both civs per turn. Who pays for it, in part or in all, would be negotiable. There should also be a chance other civs discory the agreement, especially if goods are being transported through their civ. Espionage may also reveal the agreement. Other civs should be unfavorable to civs with the secret agreements. If one civ is at war with another that is receiving supplies in secret, especially strategic resources, the opposing civ ought be really ticked if the deal is found out.

Maps should be available in pieces, and separate from charts. I’m not sure how to work out the charts. “I’ll trade you Maps of the Germainic and Arabic Empire, and charts of the German coastline for your territorial maps and maps of unclaimed land.”

Hey, love your idea Khan-especially the one about SECRET diplomatic agreements. I confess that in my current game I have deliberately avoided attacking another nation because I KNEW that nation had an MPP with someone I was a little bit scared of :mischief: ! Of course, for this to truly work properly would require the AI to no longer be OMNISCIENT ;)!

EDIT: Oh and, btw, the AI for 'Superpower' I and II PROVES that such a thing can be done!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Awesome idea especially secret alliances. this could allow real World Wars to spark from tiny conflicts :evil:

MSTK said:
Wait...what value would it be to find out about these secret alliances?

Example 1: You need a key resource in Kyoto and can take it and hold off Japan...unless the Germans attack at your other border. You're on good terms with the Germans, but do the Japanese and Germans have a secret MPP?

Example 2: You were winning a war against the Russians, but wait, how did they get Cossacks w/o saltpeter? You find out the puny peaceful but pesky Pesians are supplying the saltpeter, in violation of our trade embargo, and start a war with them by pillaging their two saltpeter sources.

I think you should be able to find out about these secret MPP's through espionage, i.e. finding out about secret (joint) military excercises, tech-trades or resource sharing, etc.

@khan I like the idea of being able to negotiate every detail, and as for secret agreements :thumbsup:

@sturm I agree it would alsow expand the esp. options and that is always a good thing in my book. :mischief:

we dont want to go to war with russia ourselve but we will secretly pay you to go to war with them whilst we remain peaceful....

i like that idea

Top Bottom