More Than 80 Percent Of Obamacare Enrollees Live In Trump-Won States

I do love the tone of the thread btw.

The spiteful, self-righteous "Lol, look at these deplorable know-nothings voting against their own self-interest!" is a good way around having to admit that your side has failed to offer them anything of value SO HARD that fell for the man who promised them the world. :eek:
The election is a popularity contest. Trump was more popular among reps than Clinton was among dems. Issues and empty promise have very little to do with the result.

The 'anything of value' that wasn't offered was a more popular dem nominee.

I'd hope for a better reply from someone making decisions about my health care

If you want your opinions to be taken seriously then it would behoove you to educate yourself on the topic at hand. Your posting in this thread is no different than someone showing up at a conference related to thermodynamics and wanting to discuss their prototype for a perpetual motion machine.

The one point he has is that old people get sick more than young people. That said, the whole reason we have medicare is because private insurance refused to cover old people because they cost more. That was a market failure.

Frankly universal care is the only decent way to handle health care and it also happens to be the most cost effective as well.

Medicare does not inflate costs. Medicare gets lower costs than private insurance because it has more bargaining power.

It does for everyone else... People with less 'bargaining power' pay more, costs are shifted from Medicare to people with insurance and the people paying out of pocket are hit the hardest. But most health care dollars are used by the elderly, free riders aint the problem.The free riders were required to subsidize Obamacare to help cover the sick.

The one point he has is that old people get sick more than young people. That said, the whole reason we have medicare is because private insurance refused to cover old people because they cost more. That was a market failure.

Frankly universal care is the only decent way to handle health care and it also happens to be the most cost effective as well.

And you were accusing me of ideology? That one point was my point, you know, the one you said was just babbling nonsense on this topic. Private insurance hasn't refused to cover the elderly, many old folk have policies. It just aint as cheap as Medicare because the government shifts more of the cost for that program onto the rest of us.

That's not an either-or-question, personal responsibility of the individual and the failure to gather the support of the masses by the parties can both exist simultaneous. If the people had voted for a person and then got into instant-regret-mode, then that would have been on them because they made a bad decision, especially if your side had made the information available to them, and they ignored it because of hysteria. You would still have failed to convince them of your ideals, but you never really stood a chance, because the people did not listen to you.

In this case however, the people who had the personal responsibility to vote don't even seem agree with you that they "failed to make the right choice", they made the choice they thought was right with their own set of priorities in mind, and the majority of them does not seem to have regretted the decision. They simply did not put a large amount of priority in the issue you care so much about (healthcare), instead voted for Trump because of a number of other reasons.

The moment you claim to know better than them - and I'm on your side here, because while I enjoyed the show, I do think the people who voted for Trump did so with a lot of emphasis on things that are non-problems, such as Muslim immigration, as well as problems that Trump was obviously not going to fix, such as illegal immigration - that they should have voted with a greater emphasis on healthcare, that's when your failure to convince people of your position comes in as a serious consideration.

From the point of view of a right-winger, including those from the centre-right, which is the space the American Democratic Party occupies, why should it be anyone's fault but the voter if he fails to understand what is good for him and votes based on non-problems?

No, man. Talking about false consciousness and overcoming that is for Marxists, and that's not really in vogue.

In a few years I'll be switching to Medicaid. After 40 years of being healthy and subsidizing those that weren't, I don't think it's unfair at all that it may balance the other way as I get older. Those that say the old should be cut off or overpay are the truly greedy ones.
It's like those that think it's unfair for some older to receive SS after paying 100s of thousands of dollars into the system. If I had been able to invest that into my accounts instead of supporting other older people I wouldn't care if they eliminated SS, but cutting off those that paid in all that money would be the height of the young being greedy.

I agree, you've paid into the system and should get the benefits just like a pension or some other retirement plan, like social security. I'll be signing up for Medicare if I last that long and it still exists. And it will, its about the most popular program out there. The GOP will be gone if they mess with it.

Considering that a lot of Republicans are older, I would tend to agree with you.

That does seem the best thing to do. And it throws a bone to the insurance for profit companies through the supplemental policies that most buy.
I would have given up my tax cut to help finance that.

I agree, you've paid into the system and should get the benefits just like a pension or some other retirement plan, like social security. I'll be signing up for Medicare if I last that long and it still exists. And it will, its about the most popular program out there. The GOP will be gone if they mess with it.

Ironically Paul Ryan want to do exactly that. He wants 2018 to be the year of entitlement reform where they slash social security and end medicare as we know it all in the name if balancing the budget to pay for their latest corrupt tax giveaway to the billionaire donor class.

Talk about robbing the poor and middle class to reward the super wealthy.

Ironically Paul Ryan want to do exactly that. He wants 2018 to be the year of entitlement reform where they slash social security and end medicare as we know it all in the name if balancing the budget to pay for their latest corrupt tax giveaway to the billionaire donor class. Talk about robbing the poor and middle class to reward the super wealthy.

Keep government out of my Medicare !

Medicare is a boon for insurance companies, they get our premiums while we're young and healthy and dump us off on Medicare when he get old enough to need care.

It's even better than that because they still get to sell you supplemental policies and prescription coverage after you are eligible for Medicare.

Medicare is a boon for insurance companies, they get our premiums while we're young and healthy and dump us off on Medicare when he get old enough to need care.

Why buy any insurance when you can just purchase it when you get sick, then leave after you get treatment ?

ER treatment can get you before you can purchase.

ER treatment can get you before you can purchase.

Perhaps they should set up quick purchase kiosks in ERs. That way, if you don't have insurance and end up in the ER, you can just purchase it real quick for your treatment, then drop it.

Top Bottom