Moving Forward with Future DCLs, ICLs, & IDSs

LP's are very fun to watch and easy to make. The real problem is when you need to compress and upload them to youtube. If you want them in HD it becomes even more time consuming. It would bother me because it would take a few hours to compress and upload and I could not play the game. When I was messing with making LP's I almost bought a second PC so I could upload on one PC and play Civ on the other! I am not sure how Mac works so you will have to get advice from others.

Eh, you know what? I need something for my youtube channel anyway. Do you know of a good way to record?

Eh, you know what? I need something for my youtube channel anyway. Do you know of a good way to record?

I like using Fraps since it is free. I haven't done it for some time so I can't remember exactly what programs I used. I know I used Fraps to record. After that I had to take the files to another program to compress them. After that you have to upload them to youtube. If you want them in HD you have to do another step or you have to record in HD which casues the game to go slower. I forget which since it has been 2 yrs since I have done it but I will be trying again very soon.

I am sure someone else can give you better advice but this was just off the top of my head. Acken seems to have a very good grasp of it if you want to PM him.

(Warning: I promise that any LP I do post will be very much politically incorrect, insulting to a majority if the population on the planet, and certainly more entertaining to myself than anyone who actually dares to listen/watch………but I'll try to be entertaining).
Where do I sign up for the notification of this. These kind are the best to watch. :lol:

I like using Fraps since it is free. I haven't done it for some time so I can't remember exactly what programs I used. I know I used Fraps to record. After that I had to take the files to another program to compress them. After that you have to upload them to youtube. If you want them in HD you have to do another step or you have to record in HD which casues the game to go slower. I forget which since it has been 2 yrs since I have done it but I will be trying again very soon.

I am sure someone else can give you better advice but this was just off the top of my head. Acken seems to have a very good grasp of it if you want to PM him.

For those that don't have a microphone. There is an app that can enable a phone to be used as a mic. This would be an option for something that wants to make an LP but don't want to because they can't comment.

Here is a link to some other free ones to look into I found.
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/win-screen-recording-softwares/

I have had a few players sign up to the website I am using to track statistics so I guess some players have some interest. I haven't had an email or private message letting me know they want me to track the stats for the games they post up so if anyone is interested and wants me to update his/her page please let me know via PM or Email or I guess you could post on here as well telling me to track since I will only do it now on an individual basis instead of just updating everyone that plays since some players do not want or care to be tracked. Remember if you do want to be tracked you should provide plenty of turn times and other stats that I can put on your pages. You can see some examples on the site now so you know what I am talking about.

I'd love you to track my final turn stats. Its something I guess I need to start thinking about.

As per request I made a new menu named "Finish Times" ... Take a look and let me know if this was what you had in mind. I made it kinda basic but did color code it for the different types of victory. Let me know too big, too small, works, doesn't work... etc. As before I started with ICL 13 and DCL 16 but if you have other posts prior I can easily add all of them but did not want to go back and look at every post so send me a list and I can update both categories starting with ICL 1 and DCL 1 on up. It is pretty simple you just click on the players name under the finish times menu and you should be able to view your finish times and victory accomplishment.

I'm really sorry...I should have been clearer. I meant the final turn BPT, CPT, etc. I saw that you have it for KB's China game, and would be very happy if you could track that for me. :)

The finish times is cool too, though. Though I track that already on the spreadsheet. :)

I'll fix your pages up for final Stats on games that you post up. I am working on the leaderboard pages now so it might be something players enjoy since they seem to like to be listed in order. I agree with you that you show that on the spreadsheet but you only show best turn time per victory and not every DCL victory turn time so if a player is interested in having stats shown on this site it will be a little more detailed so I do not see a conflict.

I was going to make individual leaderboards per DCL/ICL/IDS but in the end I opted for an overall leaderboard per individual VC. I have the CV Leaderboard up now that only has 4 listed players since I started with China DCL 16 on up. This will actually help me want to complete a CV to try to get on that board.

Actually on the one page that I published for you (Germany DCL 17) I do show all your stats that you provided including highest Stats that I could find like bpt... etc. and I made some other pages as well that I didn't publish yet cause you didn't seem to have much interest but I will update most likely today.

I haven't had much success with any pages really but I think players might like the leaderboards compared to other ventures. Maybe it will create some more competition. Although it is similar to your spreadsheet, which is enjoyed by all, I do not think it conflicts either. I will be making the same type of leaderboards for the ICL next.

Yes, I didn't intend at all to suggest that your site conflicts with the amateur spreadsheet I put together. It is far better presented already, and with support could be really great. I hope more people get on board with it. I'd like to see a video library of LPs etc, but all that is contingent on people making an effort. Time will tell...

I think we are of the same mindset on most of this anyway. Just a quick update. I did finish the DCL leaderboard pages if anyone is interested. I am working on the ICL next which should be easier since we have less player interest. I did limit it to the top ten fastest turn time finishes but if you tie you will share the spot not bumping the next spot.

kb27787 is the leader for CV

Acken leads for Diplo and Domination

IronfighterXXX has the top spot for SV

All the finish times have been tracked since DCL 16 China since I started this up. I most likely will not be going back to track DCL 15 and below since this is a new idea and we haven't seen some of those players on the DCL for some time. Some players have played the game multiple times but I have only tracked the first win that they posted. Since Replays are allowed and we have to play by the Honor System I have not worried about players who have won with prior map knowledge. This is for fun and can be for competition but I do not want to get too carried away with it and make all sorts of rules. I will keep it more casual for now.

I think we are of the same mindset on most of this anyway. Just a quick update. I did finish the DCL leaderboard pages if anyone is interested. I am working on the ICL next which should be easier since we have less player interest. I did limit it to the top ten fastest turn time finishes but if you tie you will share the spot not bumping the next spot.

kb27787 is the leader for CV

Acken leads for Diplo and Domination

IronfighterXXX has the top spot for SV

All the finish times have been tracked since DCL 16 China since I started this up. I most likely will not be going back to track DCL 15 and below since this is a new idea and we haven't seen some of those players on the DCL for some time. Some players have played the game multiple times but I have only tracked the first win that they posted. Since Replays are allowed and we have to play by the Honor System I have not worried about players who have won with prior map knowledge. This is for fun and can be for competition but I do not want to get too carried away with it and make all sorts of rules. I will keep it more casual for now.

So how exactly can I be the leader for CV :confused: :lol: especially if you judge based on win time; I don't really care about win turn that much and plant all my GS so :lol: I'm sure other people win much faster than me.

Well I guess you can... using a formula something like:
1000/X (where X is win turn) adding up all finishes to a maximum of, say, 5 finishes (10 is probably too many. t250 win gets 4 pts, t200 win gets 5 pts, t300 gets 3.33 and so on. Of course, if it's not too much trouble. If you want turn times to be more drastically influential on pts earned then just use X^2 instead of just X.

Since I started to track .... starting with DCL 16 China... only 4 players have posted a CV win and yours was the fastest but we both know that it will not stand. Eventually someone will post up a faster time. I do not want to go all the way back to DCL 1 and track stats but if I get enough player interest and the players want me to go all the way back and post results starting with DCL 1 I will do the work. However, since most players that are posting recently and I started this idea up around DCL 16 I thought it best to just start from that DCL. I was originally tracking everyones game and stats but not many players were giving me enough information and it seemed like players really didn't like the idea. So I put everything on pause and not one player complained or asked what happened or anything so it was pretty easy to assume nobody was worried about it.

Recently I had 4 players sign up to the site so I thought maybe some players did have interest. Shark Diver gave me the Leaderboard idea weeks ago and I finally got around to creating some boards. Either way it is not that hard to run the leaderboards... much easier than tracking every players game and stats. As always I put this idea up for the players and it would be mostly the players site. So, the more player support and interest the more results you will see on the site. Player interest and participation is very low, almost nonexistent... so that is why the site is at a standstill.

You are also in 4th place for the fastest SV since DCL 16 China. I like your formula though but it was much simpler than that!

I finally updated player pages for players who wanted me to track games and stats. I do need to update Benzy19s page unless you do not want me to since I heard from you long ago but not recently since I started to only track players who request it to be done. As always if anyone catches a mistake or has new ideas to make things better please let me know. Also if you want your stats tracked just send me a PM or Email and I will gladly get to it asap.

Anyways... I updated all the ICL Leaderboards from 13 Egypt on up and DCL 16 on up and this is what it looks like and who is in the lead for each VC.

Scientific Victory

Spoiler :

Domination Victory

Spoiler :

Diplomatic Victory

Spoiler :

Cultural Victory

Spoiler :

Culture seems to be the preferred choice for Immortal recently so I guess I could try some kb27787 style of game for my next ICL play through. Although I will have to mix in some warmongering for my own personal fun.

Scientific Victory

Spoiler :

Domination Victory

Spoiler :

Diplomatic Victory

Spoiler :

Cultural Victory

Spoiler :

Hey thanks! I actually read your write up a day or so ago but for some reason today when I re-checked everyones finish I must of skipped over your spoiler. It is up to date now! Most players do not enjoy Diplo but I like it so perhaps you and I can stay on the leaderboard longer since it is not as popular of a VC!

Well the spreadsheet goes all the way back to DCL #1 Zulu so it keeps a different record. This statistic site is for all players. I started it up around DCL 16 China and ICL 13 Egypt and IDS 7 Rome. This is why I am not going back to check everyones game prior. That would require a lot of work and since player support is low I will just stick with 16,13, and 7 on up. If I had 10 players or more who were really interested I would go back and track everything from DCL/ICL/IDS # 1. It is not really my site even though I pay money for it and keep it up to date. I consider it everyones site who participates in the DCL/ICL/IDS threads. I don't have much player support for it so I keep stats and leaderboards and finish times for players that have interest who will give me some sort of stats for the games they play. It seems that it is too much trouble to write down all the turn times that you build your wonders or reach an era or what not so the site isn't nearly as strong as it could be. It has potential but it is what it is. If you would like me to post up player pages for you showing your final stats like spt,cpt,gpt ...etc. just let me know. You can see examples under the Deity and Immortal Player pages. I had other ideas like Rank which I am still updating and other things like awards/medals/badges to earn but lack of player interest made me hide those pages. It seems players enjoy Leaderboards and seeing the final stats for each game and that is about all, so that is what they get! This was a bit of an experiment that I am running for 1 year and will decide next November if I will continue to pay for it.

Edit: Well at least you guys are checking up to see if the boards are correct. These are easy fixes and I guess I was going too fast and missed a few but I will update asap and thanks again stormtrooper412!!

Oh right... the thing is it was your second play through and I was thinking I would only post the VCs and Turn times for the first attempt which was an SV for you. However, I am willing to listen to what you think? Do you think that a player who plays the same map multiple times should be listed on the Leaderboard for every VC they complete? I do not mind listing the first play through or even the first VC they post up no matter how many attempts but I might need to draw the line a bit if players post up alternate VCs for the same DCL. I am willing to listen to arguments and we can all make a unified decision.

Fair enough. As far as I'm concerned, I don't mind either way, I simply replayed that map because it's really fun. I don't think posting multiple runs with different VC is a bad idea, but, not my call

In fact I'm replaying the 18 for the 3rd time trying to steal a culture win. Hopefully nobody will propose the WF in that one :lol:

I don't mind either way since I am sure not many players are going to post multiple wins for one DCL. Honestly I have seen players go back and see how fast they could shave off turns or some other things but you are kinda the first player I have seen to go back and replay the same map and post up a different VC after achieving a VC already.

My issue is that the I am a firm believer in no reloads or replays when I play. Obviously I have replayed maps and you can see that if you go back to some other DCLs but for the most part I try not to replay and never reload unless it was some major crash. Of course these DCLs are more for fun and learning. I just put up some Leaderboards to get some player interest in the site and in the DCL/ICL/IDS. I was hoping that it would give players more incentive to actually participate.

I'm kinda torn on it because you are actually a player who is participating and has interest and that is rare these days. I think it is best for only the first VC on each DCL because technically you could have a spot on each Board and it would show on all 4 spots that you played 18 Babylon kinda watering down the idea. Also you seem to be agreeable on either decision so let's just go for the 1st VC win posted on each DCL. You are going to be on all the boards very soon I suspect anyways and the maps are getting posted every 10 days now so I do not see a problem with lack of potential. I would feel a little bad if I played the Spain map over and over bumping off higher turn times just because I could do it so yup after thinking this way I know for sure it is best for 1 VC per DCL!! Also this helps players choose a different VC for each DCL instead of always SV or Domination only making it more diverse (IMO).

Oh ya... if you need a map to play to get another VC ... you can play the IDS 7 Rome game and after that you can post up the IDS 8 game of your choice since it has been a long time since we had an IDS game posted! Not a bad idea since I could join you in playing your IDS 8 game as well in hopes of getting on the boards or moving up! I need a pre 287 SV actually to get on the boards!

EDIT: Could you imagine if a player like Acken played 4 games on one DCL and posted up all 4 VCs basically dominating the Leaderboards through only one DCL lol! When you think of it this way it is clear that 1 VC per DCL/ICL/IDS game is the better option (IMO).

Top Bottom