Music of Civ VI

So it looks like we have most of the themes down, short of Scythia's theme (which I find to be one of the most interesting themes due to its tragic tone).

Also, anyone able to shed light on why they changed the tunes from .mp3 to .ogg? .ogg players aren't on most computers, and it looks like we'll have to search in suspicious corners of the internet for an obscure program to play the .ogg files.

Or just play the music on YouTube. -_-

For me, one of the reasons for buying the digital deluxe was so I could acquire the soundtrack and port it to my MP3 player. Shame.

Also, anyone able to shed light on why they changed the tunes from .mp3 to .ogg? .ogg players aren't on most computers, and it looks like we'll have to search in suspicious corners of the internet for an obscure program to play the .ogg files.

For me, one of the reasons for buying the digital deluxe was so I could acquire the soundtrack and port it to my MP3 player. Shame.

VLC media player is a good program and will play .ogg files just fine.

It's annoying to have to convert file format to stick them on my phone though. Most irritating!

Ah, thanks! I will use it. Does it allow conversion of .ogg to .mp3?

So it looks like we have most of the themes down, short of Scythia's theme (which I find to be one of the most interesting themes due to its tragic tone).QUOTE]

The instrument for Scythia is Duduk. In fact, the music reminds me of Georgian Duduk music. I have not heard duduk used anywhere outside of cinema music elsewhere besides Caucas mountain region. If the music is not made up, I can only guess, with the use of duduk, that Scythian music is Caucasian music, it could be an Ossetian song since the language they use is Ossetian.

Here is a song I found that sounds a little similar:

Just going to add this, if you play as Brazil, there´s a second melody that plays, its called "Tico Tico no fuba"
sample :

Seems like with these 4 videos we have the complete soundtrack and not just leader's themes

That would make 11 hours in total.

---In the 3rd one at 59:50 we have Douce Dame Jolie by Guillaume de Machaut

heavily based on Annwn version wich isn't... well, tastes and colors ok

---3rd video at 1:09:30 an english contrydance (?) wich I'd like to find back the name.

---Still in 3rd vid at 1:44:15 theme is "Quand je suis mis retour" from Guillaume de Machaut again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVISBQDoePM

(skip to 0:33 to find the theme fast)

I find a lot of these non-leader's themes are very faithful to music ambience from back to Civ II at least

I think it's little known, but MusicBee has IMO the best blend between functionality and design as a music player. It plays many formats, .ogg included, and it can batch-convert them into MP3 (although due to licensing issues, you have to download LAME Encoder separately). Less bloated than MediaMonkey, I find, and more easily customizable. But either of them should get the job done.

I wonder if they will release the 11 hours of soundtrack for the Digital Deluxe version. Currently they seem to be in .wem and I can't identify the tracks. The old CiV tracks were all more easily accessible. I wonder if they intended for us to not be able to get our hands on the in-game music.

We really just need someone to email Geoff Knorr and ask him. :p

so...

America: Hard Times Come Again No More
Arabia: Kâtibim/Üsküdar'a gider iken
Aztecs: composed by Roland Rizzo
Brazil: Brejeiro by Ernesto Nazareth
China: Mo Li Hua
Egypt: El Helwa Di by Sayed Darwish
England: Scarborough Fair
France: Le Tourdion
Germany: Ich hab die Nacht geträumet
Greece: Epitaph of Seikilos
India: Vaishnava Jana To
Japan: Lullaby of Itsuki
Kongo: Banaha
Norway: Gjendines Bånlåt (folk song recorded by Edvard Grieg)
Poland: Czerwieniaska
Rome: Magna Mater by Synaulia
Russia: Kalinka
Scythia: original creation by Geoff Knorr
Spain: Recuerdos de la Alhambra
Sumer: original creation by Geoff Knorr

We did a pretty good job of identifying most of the Civ themes' inspirations

Last edited:
That's Greensleeves I believe. I was surprised it was included in the soundtrack when I heard it.

Greensleeves, thanks! A bit suprised too but we shouldn't, since Civ IV's playlist they accustomed us after all

Speaking of tunes recognition I have a (slightly unrelated) question: I can't test them here and now but do melody recognition apps like Shazam and Musipedia give good results? Does someone know them?

I sent an email to Geoff Knorr asking about the origin of the Aztecs and Scythia's themes, here is his reply:

(Great to you're enjoying the game and the music! Roland Rizzo composed the Aztec theme music, and would be able to speak more about the source melody. I do know it is based on surviving musical material and/or traditions from the Aztecs.

Both Sumeria and Scythia are original melodies. In my research on ancient Sumeria I did run across a few studies that discuss musical modes we believe they used in their music and this was my primary source in shaping an appropriate melody to underscore them in the game. For Scythia, we have very little surviving information on their culture, and whatever music they may have played is no exception. For their theme, I tried to blend many of the surrounding musical traditions of the lands they occupied. I chose to feature the duduk in Scythia's music because of its ancient origins in the same area.

I'll be writing a little bit more over the next few weeks on the melodies and performers featured in each civ on my facebook page, so keep a look out there for more info. on each civ's music. )

Looks like I may have to write to Roland Rizzo about the Aztecs theme, and it seems like Sumeria and Scythia's themes are original pieces

Strange that he didn't use Hymn of Nikkal as the source melody for Sumeria. That would actually have been fairly appropriate.

Yeah I listened to Hymn to Nikkal on Youtube and none of the renditions I could find sounded like the Sumerian theme at all. Looks like someone was too hasty with identifying it as that.

America
Arkansas Traveler
New Five Cent Piece
Sally in the Garden
Valley Forge

Arabia
Kawala & Sufi Improv
Qanun Improv 1
Qanun Improv 2
Qanun Improv 3

Aztecs
Flute and drums
Hand and wood drums
flutes
hand drums
wood drums

Brazil
Branca
Tardes Em Lindoia
Terna Saudade
Tico-Tico no Fubá

China
Fisherman's Song at Dusk
Guzheng Improv 1
Guzheng Improv 2
High Mountain, Flowing Water
Lotus Above Water
Rain
Winter Flower

Egypt
Ney and drum improv
Ney and sufi improv
Oud improv 1
Oud Improv 2
Oud Improv 3

England
Bonny Boy
Green Bushes
Greensleeves
The Bold Grenadier
High Germany
Lovely Joan

France
Dulcimer and Flutes 1
Dulcimer and Flutes 2 (Guillaume de Machaut's Douce Dame Jolie)
Dulcimer and Flutes 3 (Quand suis mis au retour)
Dulcimer and Flutes 4
Trouvere and Flute
Trouvere
note: some of these seem to be based off of actual songs
Germany
Ein Jäger aus Kurpfalz
In Stiller Nacht
Mayenzeit One Neidt
Schwesterlein
Spinn Spinn
Wenn ich ein Vöglein Wär

Greece