Mysteriously spawning Japanese invasion force in south america?

Malkaviel

Prince
So I'm new to rfc pretty much. Been playing alot of bts, ffh2, final frontier, colonization, planetfall, and a few others for a couple years...

Weird thing happened today. Playing as Japan, conquered china quickly, teched up and circumnavigated the globe first (still surprisingly easy for being monarch difficulty) and when one of my caravel stumbled upon inca around 1415 I was given 3 knights, a crossbowman, 2 pikemen, 3 catapults, and 3 quechua (!), all spawned within Inca cultural border. I vassalized Inca to legitimize my military presence in his border without open borders or war.

Is this a bug? I thought maybe it's some event like an equivalent of spain's invasion of southern and central america, but I don't even have astronomy yet albeit very close to liberalism from which i will choose astronomy, likely. Figured I'd ask here if this is supposed to happen before posting it in bug report thread.

It is very common. They are called the conquistadors (don't know the term in Japanese because they never existed). If you know gunpowder you'll have cannons, otherwise just catapults.
You don't need astronomy. (It's better to have it though because if you build New World cities you won't have contact with them in the capital unless you have astronomy)

It just did it again, giving me 2 more equivalent stacks in both aztec and mayan cultural borders...

If this is intentional tho, it's kinda bogus because it makes the game way too easy.

Well, it's not so good sometimes to get those conquerors (if you don't want troops or vassals).
Conquerors are probably the only way to win in emperor for Vikings and Spain.

I'd say conquer them anyway. It's worth the gold you get from pillaging improvements and capturing cities.

If you don't want the cities, raze them or give them to someone else later (or grant independence).

But razing and giving cities away cost stability, so why do it? I would rather give my units to the natives or not get them in the first place. If I really wanted the troops for colonizing the New World, I usually vassalize them or at least conquer a city (because they cost a lot of maintenance outside your territory).
On the other hand, playing as China they help with the 3rd criteria quite a bit.

Granting independence cost stability?

That's just wrong.

If you lose a territory that is not exactly good for stability it should increase your stability.

If you pay attention there's a message explaining the event: "A group of our adventurers have arrived in the new world..."

And we've all being playing RFC with the conquistador event for years and it doesn't make it too easy, which I'm sure you'll find out soon if you keep playing ;)

lol, maybe they should spawn for AIs only. sort of like the free colonists the AI gets with astronomy. or have a tech requirement.

then again if you conquered and held china you were prolly gonna win anyway.

Yeh, so... I won this game in 10 hours (monarch difficulty as Japan)... by time duration, by 19 points over second place russia, and my final score was 2001 which puts me in league with the venerable Dan Quayle.

32 turns before the end I suffered a catastrophic breakdown. Civil war broke out and I lost 75% of my cities, and with them, over 80% of my military.

Somehow I managed to keep my 5 vassals, and while I was picking my jaw up off the floor, Ghandi and Monte (vassals) were actually liberating my cities. (3 total) Khmer (vassal) wasn't so generous and took my (previously) main production city with 3 gorges dam and ironworks from barbarians or whatever.

I managed to re-acquire my withholdings on Japan (Honshuu) and much of the mainland (modern day china), and with 9 turns left sent a meager expeditionary force to take back a handful of cities in central america and northern south america.

It was a nail-biter to be sure. I guess the lesson is, "don't give up, it ain't over til it's over", although the photo finish was far from pretty.

Congratulations :)

Maybe you'll be interested to hear that Japan is considered one of the (if not THE) easiest of all civs in RFC.

and... excellent. I'm happy my first time I lucked upon the "easiest". Do people often have difficulty discerning your statements as back-handed compliments or encouragement?

Try Turkey next, it is also quite easy, but harder than Japan.

Here is a my list of UHV difficulties based on a list by blizzrd:

For Monarch difficult, BTS:

Easiest:
Japan, Greece

Easy:
France, Russia, England, Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Dutch, Viking

Moderate:
Khmer, Arabia, China, Rome, Carthage, Aztec, Babylon, Egypt, Maya, Inca, Germany

Hard:
Persia, India, Mongolia, America

Hardest:
Mali, Ethiopia

Inca and Germany are both very simple if you know what you're doing.
America is actually quite hard (you have to be very single-minded to get the Statue) and somewhat luck-based.
I actually find that Vikings are moderately hard if you don't expand beyond Scandinavia.
Ethiopia isn't hard, it's just purely luck-based (the other 2 criteria are just a breeze as long as you keep your economy afloat).

It was only a quick draft, I reserve the right to change it. :D
I was thinking of putting Inca one below, but I just left it there for some reason. Vikings could be one above yes, but in the end it is quite easy. America is bit like Ethiopia except easier, so perhaps it should be one above. Ethiopia is purely luck based and needs ton of reloading, so it definetly should be in the hardest section, since Mali is there only because the first condition is also sligthly luck based.

I have to agree that Germany isn't that hard.

Provided of course that you don't DOW your neighbours before you're prepared.

And you WILL need to be prepared. Being completely encircled by a Christian (or sometimes Jewish) lovefest takes a bit of fighting to break out of.

Do people often have difficulty discerning your statements as back-handed compliments or encouragement?
I don't know, but I'm trying to invoke that deliberately :D

And you WILL need to be prepared. Being completely encircled by a Christian (or sometimes Jewish) lovefest takes a bit of fighting to break out of.
Not if YOU found Christianity and spread it via Per-Wadjet. :)

Top Bottom