Napoleonic Wars

ZeletDude is correct. The Italians did not have possesions in africa until 1880. Only the French, English, Netherlands, spanish and portugese had colonies there. I will make the appropriate corrections.

also:
The Chevauxlegers were essentially medium dragoons and would carry out the work of light and medium cavalry units - patrolling, reconnaissance and screening army movement. However everything I found indicates that they don't appear until much later. Should they be included or not. Give me your thoughts

When this is finished im sure it will be a really great scenario :D

When this is finished im sure it will be a really great scenario :D

Thx ZeletDude, I hope you are correct. I am about finished with the units. Made a few minor changes, and corrected a couple of errors in the unit folders ( some ini errors and changed some names) example american hussar is now american cavalry. If you check post number 2, it gives a good explanation regarding the use of the leader as an army type of unit.

I am thinking of using the musketeer as a type of immobile homeguard type of unit to start the game, by placing one unit in each town and city.

I made some corrections to the map and am working on the civilopedia now.

I tried to play the Beta Version but could not get the game to load. The initial load appeared to freeze at the 'configuring scenario' stage. Is a long initial load time normal with this mod? (I know AoI can sometimes take upwards of 15 minutes to load, on my computer at least) I do realize this may just be a problem unique to my below average computer.

Also, you might give some thought to adding a Persian civ for a couple of reasons: 1. It would help fill in some of the blank space in between the east end of the Ottoman empire and British India; 2. Persia fought a number of wars with the Russian Empire, one of which was during the time period of this scenario, which I think would give another challenge to any player playing as Russia.

I tried to play the Beta Version but could not get the game to load. The initial load appeared to freeze at the 'configuring scenario' stage. Is a long initial load time normal with this mod? (I know AoI can sometimes take upwards of 15 minutes to load, on my computer at least) I do realize this may just be a problem unique to my below average computer.

Don`t give up ! I am sure its not frozen.
It`s some kind of normal on huge maps ...

Don`t give up ! I am sure its not frozen.
It`s some kind of normal on huge maps ...

The General is correct. The map is huge. There are also more than 190 unique units. It does take some time for the initial load. The 1st and second turn are also somewhat slow as there are no units on the board. After the 1st and second turn speed picks up. When the scenario is completed, it may take even longer to load with all units in place. I am currently looking at options that will increase the start-up speed. Rhyse and (I think it was) El Justo had some ideas regard this. I will look into more when I finish with the civilopedia.

Also, you might give some thought to adding a Persian civ for a couple of reasons: 1. It would help fill in some of the blank space in between the east end of the Ottoman empire and British India; 2. Persia fought a number of wars with the Russian Empire, one of which was during the time period of this scenario, which I think would give another challenge to any player playing as Russia.

I am open to adding the Persians. In fact I had considered that. That was in fact a very volitile area during that period as the Russians were expanding a great deal in that region, and I think the Russians need the "distraction" to make the game more balanced. Thanks for that comment/suggestion NUCFLASH. That's just the kind of comments we need.

But wouldn't that also mean they're in a constant state of war with Britain?

Great point Virote. I must be getting tired, He He, I forgot about that. Any ideas?

I did some checking and it appears that the british had little or no real conflict with the persians until around 1880 when they gained some influence in the region. So, there was no real conflict between the british and persians during this time period however the russians and persians fought at least 2 major conflicts. In fact it was an ongoing conflict that spanned several decades.

All right, I've got the game up and running and am playing as Austria.
First a couple of comments:

1. I like the wide variety of Infantry, Cavalry and Naval units (I think this will probably be the hallmark of this scenario). If I may suggest a system in which one type of Cavalry/Infantry holds a strength over other Cavalry/Infantry units (similar to El Justo's Naval unit balancing in AoI).

2. I found a problem with the workers, that is they do not automate properly. When instructed to automate they just skip their turn each turn and never move from their tile or build improvements. I think this may have something to do with the fact that they have been given A/D values but I'm no expert.

3. The rate of movement seems painfully slow, at least for such a big map. I do not know how far the average Napoleonic era soldier could march in a week and how many miles one tile represents but I think bumping the rate of movement along roads to 4 might balance game play a little better.

4. I noticed that most (if not every) ship has some transport capacity. I like the idea but I'm not so sure a corvette would be able to transport a full compliment of Heavy Cavalry. You may want to limit the transport bonus to only the larger warships, or you could limit the warships to only being able to carry Marine units (by using the cruise missile flag).

Some new unit suggestions:

Swiss Mercenary - Swiss Mercenary regiments served in both the French and Spanish armies at the time. Perhaps these could be special pre-placed units or could spawn infrequently from a wonder.

Light Infantry - A generic Light Infantry unit with a movement of 2 and light A/D values. The extra movement would allow the unit to retreat from battle, which would represent the Skirmisher role Light Infantry units played at the time.

A few questions:

How do you plan to allot initial military strength?/ What size unit will each unit represent (regiment/division)?

Do you plan to do anything to the tech tree in terms of adding new techs?

May I suggest a string of colonial units available to the British, French, Spanish and Portuguese overseas possessions.

Lastly, thanks to Guardian to getting a good Napoleonic Wars scenario going. I had thought about making one myself but quickly realized I knew next to nothing about modding. (Apologies for such a long post, I realize its a lot to respond to).

All right, I've got the game up and running and am playing as Austria.
First a couple of comments:

1. I like the wide variety of Infantry, Cavalry and Naval units (I think this will probably be the hallmark of this scenario). If I may suggest a system in which one type of Cavalry/Infantry holds a strength over other Cavalry/Infantry units (similar to El Justo's Naval unit balancing in AoI).

2. I found a problem with the workers, that is they do not automate properly. When instructed to automate they just skip their turn each turn and never move from their tile or build improvements. I think this may have something to do with the fact that they have been given A/D values but I'm no expert.

3. The rate of movement seems painfully slow, at least for such a big map. I do not know how far the average Napoleonic era soldier could march in a week and how many miles one tile represents but I think bumping the rate of movement along roads to 4 might balance game play a little better.

4. I noticed that most (if not every) ship has some transport capacity. I like the idea but I'm not so sure a corvette would be able to transport a full compliment of Heavy Cavalry. You may want to limit the transport bonus to only the larger warships, or you could limit the warships to only being able to carry Marine units (by using the cruise missile flag).

Some new unit suggestions:

Swiss Mercenary - Swiss Mercenary regiments served in both the French and Spanish armies at the time. Perhaps these could be special pre-placed units or could spawn infrequently from a wonder.

Light Infantry - A generic Light Infantry unit with a movement of 2 and light A/D values. The extra movement would allow the unit to retreat from battle, which would represent the Skirmisher role Light Infantry units played at the time.

A few questions:

How do you plan to allot initial military strength?/ What size unit will each unit represent (regiment/division)?

Do you plan to do anything to the tech tree in terms of adding new techs?

May I suggest a string of colonial units available to the British, French, Spanish and Portuguese overseas possessions.

Lastly, thanks to Guardian to getting a good Napoleonic Wars scenario going. I had thought about making one myself but quickly realized I knew next to nothing about modding. (Apologies for such a long post, I realize its a lot to respond to).

First of don't apologize, This is an excellent reply and is just the kind of reply that is needed.

1.I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I will check out my AOI (haven't looked at it in a while) and revisit this question.

2.This may be true. I gave them A/D for two reasons, I don't want a lot of workers in the game. AI will destroy these rather than capture them, and second they will slow down enemy advances.

3. Movement rate. The movement rate of the ships is based on time and distance and is accurate. Land based units is a different problem. Most Napoleonic era units were Brigade and regimental in size. Napoleon (I believe was one of the first) created combined arms units of infantry, cavalry, and artillery. These units general moved as an army with certain exceptions. That is one of the reasons that generals and Marshals (leaders) are so important in this game. They are required to give your "armies" speed in movement.

4.Here you are absolutely correct. The idea was for these ships to carry a compliment of marines, with the exception of the transport. Thx to your recommendation regarding the cruise missle flag (which I had not thought of) that can now be accomplished.

There are several special units in the game already. Napoleons Polish Lancers, Cossacks, Bengal Lancers, and I'm planning to add more as you suggested, which will be spawned by improvements and wonders. I like the idea of the swiss mercenaries. The french also used other foreign troops, some of which were eventually incorperated into the old guard. The Polish Lancers were particularly loyal to Napoleon. Their commander, even stated (when Napoleon was forced to abdicate), " We owe our loyalty to the emperor, Not France."

Light Infantry This is a misnoma. Light infantry in the Napoleonic era was actually highly trained units with superior marksmanship, used as skirmishers, advance units, and rearguard units as you stated. Perhaps giving them an extra MP and blitz would be appropriate.

Answers to your questions:

Napoleons genious lied in his strategic and tactical prowes. As demonstrated here:
"In 1804, the French had more than 350,000 soldiers, organised into corps that were independent armies of varying sizes.

Each contained infantry, cavalry, artillery and engineers and was capable of fighting at least a delaying action against most formations until reinforcements came.

To this system, Bonaparte added his own Battalion Carre, which meant individual corps would move towards a predetermined point separately, but within a day's march of each other.

This strategy not only gave corps commanders confidence that support was not far away, but also lessened the strain a single army marching along a single route placed upon local food supplies.

This was particularly important in nations like Spain and Russia where the land was poor and barely able to sustain the population let alone huge armies. It also allowed for speed and flexibility of manouevre. "

It took his opponents almost ten years to understand his theories and approach to warfare. Once they understood, they adopted his philosophy. It was not until then that they were able to defeat him. The russian campaign is of course the one great exception.

Yes I am planning to do more with the tech tree. Some new techs and wonders have been added and I am looking for more. Much work will have to be done in this area.

I have also considered adding colonial units for the great powers and have, in fact, done some work in that area.

Additionally, I am contemplating doing something with the colonies, to transfer goods and resources from the colonies to the homelands, particularly, Spain, England, Portugal, and the Netherlands, as that is where much of there wealth was derived from and adds strategic possiblities to the game.

Well that was a long winded answer and I hope I addressed all you questions. Thanks for the post and keep the posts coming. Hopefully we'll be able to make this a good scenario with everyones help.

Additionally, I am contemplating doing something with the colonies, to transfer goods and resources from the colonies to the homelands, particularly, Spain, England, Portugal, and the Netherlands, as that is where much of there wealth was derived from and adds strategic possiblities to the game.

As a portuguese player playing with Portugal, I can vouch for this. At the time, much of our wealth was indeed in our colonies, so such a move would be great.

One question: despite there being Settlers on the Civipedia, I can't build them anywhere. Am I missing some tech, or are they really not buildable?

Edit(s): Portugal has no horses on the scenario. Are the resources pre-set or random? If pre-set then please give us horses. We do have them, even a race of our own!

Church has no efect (at least on the Civilopedia)

Coastal Fortress is giving me a Ship of the Line every X turns. Personally I think this is a bit too much. Suggest dropping it to Frigate.

My single african colony (Bissau) and the 2 islands cannot build harbors, but the brazilian colonies can...

As a portuguese player playing with Portugal, I can vouch for this. At the time, much of our wealth was indeed in our colonies, so such a move would be great.

One question: despite there being Settlers on the Civipedia, I can't build them anywhere. Am I missing some tech, or are they reallythat are exremely important not buildable?

In the scenario TGR, The Great Race, this concept is used very well. Treasure is used to transfer wealth, which is produced by special improvements overseas, such as winery, mines, plantations etc., back to the homeland, where it is deposited into the treasury. I will look closely at this and see if I can duplicate that for this scenario. I believe that will greatly enhance the scenario and create a whole new concept for the game with interesting possibilities.

There are no settlers. I have indeed removed them. I discussed this earlier in the thread. The problem that I was having earlier is that the AI sometimes goes crazy and starts razing cities. In El Justos thread on AOI 4 there is mention of a no-raze patch. If I can get that I will incorperate it in this sceneario. I eliminated the settlers to maintain balance in the scenario. There also no army units. There are leaders (generals and marshals) to the game. Check post #2 for more details about the leaders.

I eliminated the settlers to maintain balance in the scenario. There also no army units. There are leaders (generals and marshals) to the game. Check post #2 for more details about the leaders.

ooo! I saw the leaders post, but for some reason missed the settlers :blush:

Pity... I wanted to increase my small number of cities by continued colonization of africa! :goodjob:

ooo! I saw the leaders post, but for some reason missed the settlers :blush:

Pity... I wanted to increase my small number of cities by continued colonization of africa! :goodjob:

You can do that by going to war with the african tribes. There units are not strong but remember - the path is worn smooth by pygmy armies he he

I have ZERO troops right now :(

We haven't yet settled on the number and location of the units that will be placed on the board at the start of the games. For now, everyone starts out equally. There are NO units on the board at the start of the game. Remember, we are still in beta.

@Guardian, with regards to El Justo's naval setup in AoI: Battle ships have high A/D and HP but slow movement; Destroyers have high movement, low A/D and HP but can bombard with a high rate of fire; Cruisers have medium A/D and HPs and are faster than Battleships. In this way Destroyers can beat a Battleship, Cruisers protect Battleships from Destroyers and Battleships can dispatch Cruisers.

Basically its like Rock, Paper, Scissors with each beating one and losing to the other. What I was suggesting was a setup that would give Cuirassiers and advantage over Hussars, Hussars over Dragoons, Dragoons over Cuirassiers and so on. Just an idea. I'm really not sure how to accurately represent the differences between the cavalry types (and infantry for that matter) in game though.

Oh, and could you post an updated Beta sometime (if its not too much trouble) so the testers can stay current with any changes or additions?

Top Bottom