NEB1: One Thousand and One Ways to Die

But maybe the other aliens would have attacked you :)

By The Way, if anyone is interested in the classic sprite style graphic stuff, here are some resources I made for this game:

Tanks+vehicles
Spoiler :

Mechs+bits
Spoiler :

ALIENS!
Spoiler :

Note that I mostly stole loads of graphics from other people, then just collected them and edited and cut and pasted.

If anyone happens to have Micrografix Picture Publisher 8 (dating from 1998!) I can give you the original file format, where everything is a separate clickable/moveable object.

Those are absolutively lovely! except for the unshaded and not-detailed-enough-for-a-unified-theme mechas.

Bah! If I had all my buildings non-damaged, thenb I calculated that the total Red/Alien income was about $20. Plenty for taking on the world.:)

You may post the Snow Brigade as well Daft. I'm very pleased with the result of my work anyways, and let's call the final version a freeware one, shall we? ;)

:salute:

The four types on the right never saw any action, sadly.

This was epic!
Really wish i could've been a part of it.
The list at the end with all the generals and what happened to them was a really good idea and worked splendidly.
Hoping there will be an NEB2?

There will. *Stares at Daft*

Good work with the Snow Brigade background by the way! :p

What ever happened to the Mystics? They had their hand in everything, and then there's no mention of them in the final update.:confused:

They became disillusioned with their main ally, the SEF. The few that stayed had no special powers against the AI. They will teach special things to the underground resistance but are generally opposed to violence.

(Umm really, I guess the mystics were one plot detail too many... I just made up this excuse :o)

So, I think I kinda got all this wierdness/nostalgia stuff out my system, and it looks like I'm not going to be running another NEB for a long time. I still like to view this thread sometimes though, and I would like to say thanks again for all the input that made this 1000% more than was originally intended.

Also, for no particularly good reason, I have decided to write up some ideas as if this would be a series of computer games instead of NESes:

--------------------------------------------------------

Never Ending Battle: Knights of Soldia

A prequel using much the same format as the Soldian War but with a map that is shifted east and north, including the Palatine Kingdom and other pseudo-medieval realms. The map is still sparsely populated by humans, and monsters and mystics feature heavily. There is more emphasis on the development of the player's main 'leader' character.

Never Ending Battle: The Soldian War a.k.a A Thousand and One ways to Die

The first actual game in the series, introducing the mix of RPG, career development, research, diplomacy, resource management and turn-based tactical and strategic combat. Players will rise from lowly unit commanders to generals with full control over resources and production. The location of secret objects, characters and plot triggers is randomised each new game, adding replayability. None of the story-arcs are very well developed, but their is a great amount of choice, especially since the player can enlist for any of the main factions and even switch sides during the game. Computer-controlled generals will also pursue 'plot' elements. As such there are many different ways the game can end - 'shadow' alien victory (corruption), 'shining' alien victory (annihilation), Guardian-AI victory, Chaotic victory, or total conquest by one of the 'normal' factions. A secret ending involves the 'mystics' brining peace and enlightenment to all.

Never Ending Battle: War for Profit

A mini-game where the player controls a small mercenary unit during the events of the Soldian War, hoping to gain money from successful contracts, and scavenge from fallen enemy units, in order to acquire better weapons and personnel. The game map is shifted south, cutting out northern Soldia but including the sands of Gondwania, where a separate war is fought. There is much less plot development, but more focus on negotiation, resource management, and character traits/experience.

Never Ending Battle: Unity Falling a.k.a Concerto for Lasers and Aliens

A mini-game on much smaller scale, but using the same turn-based format, set in the immediate aftermath of the Soldian War, onboard the new international space station which has been compromised by the Guardian-AI. Four space-shuttles have taken off to dock with the station (which has four docking bays), each carrying a small squad of soldiers. Players are able to import saved characters from a game of the Soldian War, or can also fight for new factions. The initial squad of space troopers can be customised with a certain number of points. Strength, morale and ammunition are now the important 'resources'. The four competing squads must enter and retrieve certain valuable components for bonus score, such as top-secret computer cores and power cells, while fighting or allying with the other squads. Some survivors of the original station crew can also be rescued for bonus effects. Control stations can be used to activate or deactive certain doors and life support systems, to allow the team to progress and hinder the progress of others. Explosive decompression is a shared hazard for all sides. There is a time limit, as all teams must undock before the space station begins to burn up in the atmosphere. They also have to contend with erratic AI drones and monstrous secret 'shadow' alien infestation. A secret ending allows the space station to recover to a stable orbit.

Never Ending Battle 2: Shadow of the Guardian

The true sequel to The Soldian War, with a greatly expanded game map - actually three linked maps, representing individual Australia-sized continents and island chains, separated by vast (and largely abstracted) oceans. Each continent has a different level of technological development, from a pre-WW1 analogue, to a roughly WW2 analogue, to the more advanced continent where Soldia is located. The less advanced continents have some advantages to offset technological weakness, namely greater manpower, greater political unity and presence of exotic artefacts with powerful protective entities. This game assumes a Guardian-AI victory outcome for the Soldian War, and the Guardian acts as an unplayable protagonist, controlling a powerful unified Soldia in the centre of one of the continents. At the start of the game, an international space program and attempts at creating a united-nations style institution have just collapsed as a result of recent events. The alleged presence of alien UFO's and powerful AI-controlled satellites in orbit is causing fear and panic.

The basic combat system is the same, but the map is now made up of provinces rather than a grid, each with some kind of outpost, base or city to develop, similar to the original Total War games. Players can control much larger nations and armies than before. Once again, there are many potential plot lines with randomised elements, but there is more emphasis on grand strategy, diplomacy, research, trade, resource management and social issues amongst the governed population. Aliens and monsters only make fleeting appearances. Saved characters can be imported from the original game, and all original factions are present in some form. There are also many new nations to choose from. As in the original game, some factions may be 'emedded' in another, and share resources. The game has either an 'apocalypse' ending, or a 'domination' ending leading to a new era of relative peace.

Never Ending Battle 3: Bipolar Gods

This episode takes a darker turn. The player is limited to playing one of the human 'freethinker' generals under Guardian-AI command via neural implants. The game assumes a Guardian defeat in the previous game, and events take place during the final downfall of the AI core territory. The game is once again centred on Soldia, with a grid-based map only slightly larger than the original game. As the Guardian steadily decays into madness, the player is faced with the task of fending off powerful Red Crusade and COBRA attacks while dealing with internal rebels, mutant creatures and problems amongst the enslaved human population. By this point the whole landscape is charred and ruined. The player is sometimes assigned specific objectives, but otherwise has freedom of travel across what remains of Soldia. The plot has less randomness and path-choosing, but is much more developed, including prominent NPC characters. Strange events occur, and the leading character begins to doubt his own sanity, having frequent visions of a 'dream world' where long-lost loved ones are still alive and various events happen differently. The final plot twists are revealed as the leading character loses all touch with reality. Aside from the RPG emphasis, the new combat system allows more complex tactics to be tried out, including combinations of 'nanonics', psychic powers and electronic warfare.

Never Ending Battle 4: Ascendancy

With new international treaties in place, and AI technologies firmly under control, the surviving nations of the world begin to resume exploration of space. This concept is in development.

I hate you for developing such good ideas under a such good concept with such a good design without actually hosting it. :p

It looks very good. Nice read, and interesting to see.

I've just been revisiting this thread in a search for sprites for Stockholme.

First of all, F U Photobucket for ruining ALL of the images in this thread :/

Secondly, HOW is Photobucket still around these days after screwing over all of their customers? Especially in a world where Imgur exists?

Thirdly, I've figured out a way to retrieve SOME of the images from Photobucket. I can provide if needed.

Fourthly, at some point, I will try to recover the original images from one of my old computers... If it hasn't been wiped.

Fifthly... This was a glorious nostalgia trip for me. In the days before I had a job and was even pretending to 'adult'. I had so much fun making all the sprites and images for this game.

Sixthly... What a great excercise in emergent storytelling. From a game that started with zero backstory, to established lore and faction history.

Thank you everyone who took part in this.

:salute:

It's taught me a valuable lesson to never trust an album to stay on any website, imgur included. Any free hosting service is liable to disappear or go rogue at any moment, or do something weird to your old photos and hold them hostage. Remember imageshack?

Also holy decade plus necropost sir!

Top Bottom