New Era?

SHaW1986

Prince
I remember there were talks of another "new" era in the game. I have heard of the broken up Middle Ages eras in the ITR scenario but is this something that will be included in the core game?

We know the new era is "post gunpowder", but that the new "great war" units aren't in it.

The best guesses at the moment is an enlightenment era between the renaissance and industrial, or an atomic era between industrial and modern.

Wouldn't the "great war" units fall squarely into an atomic era as described?

Great war was 1914-1918, Atomic Era begins 1945.

My money is on "Age of Enlightenment" or "Age of Empire" (Not affiiliated)

I'm leaning towards Enlightenment Era or the Reformation, given the religious nature of the expansion. It would be a good time period to begin to withdraw the power of major organized religion.

Someone on a different thread had the idea that by post-gunpowder they didn't mean after the discovery of gunpowder, but in the future when gunpowder is no longer used. That could be interesting.

Someone on a different thread had the idea that by post-gunpowder they didn't mean after the discovery of gunpowder, but in the future when gunpowder is no longer used. That could be interesting.

Plasma-pulse rifles, anyone?

I feel like if GK was including a new expanded Future Era, they would be marketing the hell out of it.

Great war was 1914-1918, Atomic Era begins 1945.

Doesn't that effectively rule the "Atomic Era" out as far as a new era goes?

I mean post-1945 units in Civ 5 are Mech Inf, Modern Armour, Rocket Artillery etc., which are already Modern Units. If these become "Atomic", then what is left for the "Modern Era"?

I'm expecting the Industrial Era to span 1914-1945, so everything from Great War Infantry and Machine Guns to Tanks and Fighters.

That leaves the new Era coming post-Renaissance and including Riflemen, Cavalry, Gatling Guns, Ironclads etc.

There could be the inclustion of seperating the modern age between the periods of the world wars and the period from the Cold War onwards.

1763-1918.

What's the starting date there, end of the French and Indian War? I'm not sure why the colonialism before this doesn't count as Imperialism. There was a new wave of Imperialism that could be represented, though.

Gunpowder hasn't been used for anything but fireworks for over a century... And strictly, the Future Era wouldn't be new since it's already an in-game era, albeit with only three or four techs.

I'm expecting the Industrial Era to span 1914-1945, so everything from Great War Infantry and Machine Guns to Tanks and Fighters.

Surely the Industrial Era would begin with the Industrial Revolution (strictly beginning in the mid-18th Century, but from the Industrial era techs in Civ, more appropriately from the early-mid 19th Century), and end with the development of mass production and trade unionism at the turn of the 20th Century. The Great War would fall at the beginning of the 'post-industrial' era.

Agreed. Especially that even my brother things it would be a good idea, if it was an expanded era, there'd be mentions of it.

There are enough people who dislike the GDR, and many like me who like it as a joke end-game unit but really wouldn't to see Civ diverge further into fantasy territory, saving that for scenarios or spin-offs. Marketing a future era would probably turn away at least as many players as it attracted.

There are enough people who dislike the GDR, and many like me who like it as a joke end-game unit but really wouldn't to see Civ diverge further into fantasy territory, saving that for scenarios or spin-offs. Marketing a future era would probably turn away at least as many players as it attracted.

Unless they did it exactly like they did Next War for BTS.

What's the starting date there, end of the French and Indian War? I'm not sure why the colonialism before this doesn't count as Imperialism. There was a new wave of Imperialism that could be represented, though.

The 1763 Treaty of Paris ended one type of imperialism and began another. The older, sea-based mercantile trading empires of France (I'm thinking India and Canada) and Portugal became less important/powerful on the world stage than the land-based, resource-extraction empires of Britain, Spain, etc. You could also argue the Seven Years War (French and Indian War to us Yanks, Third Carnatic War to the Indians) is the first true "world war" in that it was fought on four continents (Europe, North America, Asia and Africa.)

1918 as an end date is fairly obvious. In my opinion, the 19th century as an "era" in the Western world began in 1789 and ended in 1918; the 20th ran from 1918 to 2001 (1989 if you want to get really picky, the period between the end of the Cold War and the 9/11 attacks is kind of a gray area.)

/historiansoapbox

To bring it back to Civ, I think a "Reformation to Enlightenment" era between the Renaissance and the French Revolution makes sense.

Gunpowder hasn't been used for anything but fireworks for over a century... And strictly, the Future Era wouldn't be new since it's already an in-game era, albeit with only three or four techs.

I like this. I played the "Next War" mod on Civ IV all the time as a standard option. Domed cities FTW!

Surely the Industrial Era would begin with the Industrial Revolution (strictly beginning in the mid-18th Century, but from the Industrial era techs in Civ, more appropriately from the early-mid 19th Century), and end with the development of mass production and trade unionism at the turn of the 20th Century. The Great War would fall at the beginning of the 'post-industrial' era.

:thumbsup: IMO, 1800-1920 would work for the "Industrial Era."

Maybe a DLC down the line? If it was done right, I'd spring for it.

Top Bottom