New Era?

His sentence is perfectly correct, he is using two negatives to form a positive. The "double negative" error comes when you are using more than one negative to intensify a negative, even though it doesn't work that way grammatically. That's actually what is explained in the link you provided.

Sorry for being nitpicky (and off-topic), but your correction bothered me. :crazyeye:

His sentence is perfectly correct, he is using two negatives to form a positive. The "double negative" error comes when you are using more than one negative to intensify a negative, even though it doesn't work that way grammatically. That's actually what is explained in the link you provided.

Sorry for being nitpicky (and off-topic), but your correction bothered me. :crazyeye:

Oh, I knew there was a rule about double negatvies xD. and I never said he was wrong, just that it bothered me that he used double negative.

BACK TO THE TOPIC..

All we know is that there's a new era, it comes post Renaissance (post-gunpowder otherwise, so I think that might include Musketmen) and that the Great War units will not be part of the new Era.

Oh, I knew there was a rule about double negatvies xD. and I never said he was wrong, just that it bothered me that he used double negative.

What can I say, I like to abuse the English language for rhetorical effect. ;)

All we know is that there's a new era, it comes post Renaissance (post-gunpowder otherwise, so I think that might include Musketmen) and that the Great War units will not be part of the new Era.

Personally, and this is just me wishing out loud, I'd love to see crossbowmen upgrade to grenadiers to go with musketmen, and then grenadiers upgrade to gatling gunners to go with riflemen, and then machine gunners to go with great war infantry. If you wanted to take it further, you could have them then upgrade to anti-tank guns (and make them ranged) to go with WWII infantry.

It'd be a little more historically accurate and provide a non-siege, ranged unit to pair with every melee unit after gunpowder.

Personally, and this is just me wishing out loud, I'd love to see crossbowmen upgrade to grenadiers to go with musketmen, and then grenadiers upgrade to gatling gunners to go with riflemen, and then machine gunners to go with great war infantry. If you wanted to take it further, you could have them then upgrade to anti-tank guns (and make them ranged) to go with WWII infantry.

It'd be a little more historically accurate and provide a non-siege, ranged unit to pair with every melee unit after gunpowder.

There's not enough 'tech spacing' for that to work well enough. Given that Machinery is right beside Steel and right below Gunpowder, it's not actually far from it (with RAs/GS bulbing - at least based upon vanilla mechanics - it's almost non-distant).

I'm sure a lot of tech position switches can work in there, but until the tech tree is shown, I'd have to say that it's just not plausible yet.

I thinx that it will be after the industrial because after the renaissance you get +1 aditional spy for each new era

It just fits perfectly after the renaissance you enter the industrial and religion start to fade away and espionage and social policy choises becomes more important for diplomacy

So it makes sence you will get more spies after renaissance and currently you would only get 2( 3 if you count future era )

So proparly the new great war units will come in the industrial world war 1 infantry, bomber, machine guns

and some new units marine units and older units modern tanks / atomic bombs and so on are a modern era

after that you have the expanded new future era

It will proparly be a expanded new future era because in the demo atilla is allready in the modern era and has only 3 spies
So : 1 from renaissance + industiral + modern

So they will proparly ad a new era after the modern era so you can get 4 spies

Again only speculation but who knows maybe I am right :p

I thinx that it will be after the industrial because after the renaissance you get +1 aditional spy for each new era

It just fits perfectly after the renaissance you enter the industrial and religion start to fade away and espionage and social policy choises becomes more important for diplomacy

So it makes sence you will get more spies after renaissance and currently you would only get 2( 3 if you count future era )

So proparly the new great war units will come in the industrial world war 1 infantry, bomber, machine guns

and some new units marine units and older units modern tanks / atomic bombs and so on are a modern era

after that you have the expanded new future era

It will proparly be a expanded new future era because in the demo atilla is allready in the modern era and has only 3 spies
So : 1 from renaissance + industiral + modern

So they will proparly ad a new era after the modern era so you can get 4 spies

Again only speculation but who knows maybe I am right :p

No future era that would be just yuck IMO. If thats the case the expansion would not be for me. Who would name something gods and kings and center on the future era? If I was going to do that Gods and Kings is not the name I'd use to describe it.

You would still get four spies if they added an era between Ren and indust eras.

No future era that would be just yuck IMO. If thats the case the expansion would not be for me. Who would name something gods and kings and center on the future era? If I was going to do that Gods and Kings is not the name I'd use to describe it.

You would still get four spies if they added an era between Ren and indust eras.

makes more sence after the industrial for me because religion fades away could ols be new modern era

makes more sence after the industrial for me because religion fades away could ols be new modern era

I would not mind a Cold War era. Just not into the future thing with civ. I don't even use GDRs in my game. I love the fact that there are going to be spies in CiV. I have been watching lots of spy movies lately. James Bond flics, Mission Impossible 1-3, never saw the 3rd one yet.:)

I seriously doubt there's a Future Era for numerous reason

1. All of the victory types end in Modern Era (United Nations is built, Space ship is built with 2 parts being in Future Era. While Culture Era if done properly ends earlier than Modern Era too.)
2. They would've made a big deal out of it. Besides, if there was an expanded Future Era, they wouldn't brand it as a brand new era.

Well. that's two main reeasons, probably few minor ones. Like the lack of any new units or buildings/wonders that would fit in a "Future Era".

It's not the future era because, at most, they could only add two new units. While I suppose they do have the GDR currently, they need some more.

It's not that I don't like science fiction, because I do. An expansion would have to be designed around an idea for expanding into the future. Gods and Kings is not going there, or yes, I have to agree, they would have made a big deal out of it.

I remember in Call to Power they had built an interesting future era that made sense. The future era in CiV is insignificant and unfinished. This certainly could be expanded on. Still there is no real need, civ has never gone that far into the future. I feel it should remain that way. Unless they make an official mod scenario or something.

Still, this could be an interesting topic for a discussion thread, should CiV have an expanded futuristic era? Should a second expansion look into that possibility?

Does anyone remember the old terminator unit from Civ 3? Actually it was an unofficial modded unit, which I used back then.

Does anyone remember the old terminator unit fron Civ 3?

Stop the presses!

They had a Governator line of units in Civ3?! I always thought it was CtP2 that did all the future footwork ???

Still, this could be an interesting topic for a discussion thread, should CiV have an expanded futuristic era? Should a second expansion look into that possibility?

It is possible, but would take a bit of work to ensure it's not weird or 'extra'.

The UN bit would have to get extended (votes on things again, likely, before a 'win' vote and probably include actually being 'friends' with everyone that's left in the game).

Culture VC would need to be longer, or have something 'after' the Utopia project (such as having to culture flip everyone from the game).

Tech VC would just need some new ones, and maybe another project to unlock the 'real' future techs required to produce an interstellar craft (unlike what's in game now).

Domination would need more than just the capitals, but would likely do 'ok' anyways.

But otherwise, there's not much to an 'extended' future era.

It is possible, but would take a bit of work to ensure it's not weird or 'extra'.

The UN bit would have to get extended (votes on things again, likely, before a 'win' vote and probably include actually being 'friends' with everyone that's left in the game).

Culture VC would need to be longer, or have something 'after' the Utopia project (such as having to culture flip everyone from the game).

Tech VC would just need some new ones, and maybe another project to unlock the 'real' future techs required to produce an interstellar craft (unlike what's in game now).

Domination would need more than just the capitals, but would likely do 'ok' anyways.

But otherwise, there's not much to an 'extended' future era.

I agree they would have to rework VCs and perhaps add a new one or two. The space victory would probably have to be pushed further ahead as well. One way to go is to have competing civs design an advanced spacecraft. Then be the first to make a journey to a distant point, perhaps to another galaxy or something. The first to have their ship complete that goal wins. See its not only how fast you travel there, but keeping the ship together on the way. You cannot just rely on speed. The ship has to be durable as well. The crew also has to survive etc. There has to be a fine tuned balance, with a lot of chance thrown in. So, from a variety of choices, you design your ship as you see fit. Then hopefully beat your competitors to the goal.

What would make this space race interesting to me, is if there were several options available for ship design. These could include different approaches or theories on how to go about building a ship. One thing you could choose is the propulsion system for the spacecraft. You could go with say a hyperdrive system, or a warp drive system, perhaps another system folds space. A Babylon 5 type propulson system deals with travelling through parallel dimensions. Of course the devs would create their own names for everything. These choices could be decided from 4 or 5 categories relating to different things the ship would need before completion.

I like the idea of adding interstellar craft. That could open trade with other planets. There are many possibilities this could lead too. I am not so sure its not a bit too much though.:lol:

that sounds a bit like the CivRev style re: spaceship. You 'could' build everything before launching, but you didn't need everything to get there. If you went with less, it'd take longer, or you brought less people, etc.

I wouldn't mind similar, except that you could keep launching more ships to up the volume sent. Maybe set it to an 'X amount of colonists that make it' sort of deal. With each 'colonist' group removing some pop from your cities, and have growth stunted once you start sending people away.

I've had an idea for an 'after the victory' mod that somewhat incorporates this. Maybe I'll actually make it after GaK.

Civ 4 actually had that mechanic of sending the ship earlier, but it would take longer to land.

And I think Age of Ascension mod for Civ 5 did it nicely, you needed to launch your spaceship first before the new era was unlockable/researchable.

that sounds a bit like the CivRev style re: spaceship. You 'could' build everything before launching, but you didn't need everything to get there. If you went with less, it'd take longer, or you brought less people, etc.

I wouldn't mind similar, except that you could keep launching more ships to up the volume sent. Maybe set it to an 'X amount of colonists that make it' sort of deal. With each 'colonist' group removing some pop from your cities, and have growth stunted once you start sending people away.

I've had an idea for an 'after the victory' mod that somewhat incorporates this. Maybe I'll actually make it after GaK.

That's a good idea. It certainly is more interesting than just building and launching a ship.

Imagine if you could travel to a choice of unknown planets, to start your colony. Your scientists learn about these planets as your science increases in the late game. Your spies perhaps could also find out bits of information about them from rival civs. The idea is to find a viable choice of planet for a thriving colony. Then after getting to this new world with a group of colonists. This would then enable you to build up your colony with new technology and increase the pop to a certain point. All this can be accessed through an space colony interface screen, similar to the espionage or religion screens. The future era would have a purpose. It would allow for new techs in the techtree, and strategies to develop for making the most advanced colony, before anyone else, which would win you a science victory. All of this would be centered around building a spaceship to transport colonists. Granted the idea may be far fetched, but each new idea, molds one that may be feasible. The devs do read these posts so never know what ideas may grab them.

Another thing they could do is have the standard modern era victory conditions. Where you can choose to end the game in modern times. Or you can bypass those and continue the game in the future, and go for one of a few future VCs. One could be the science victory I mentioned, another could be an interstellar trade victory. Space trade is won by trading with an 'x number of friendly alien systems, which should be just as challenging as building a colony. Another space or future vc could be diplomatic where alien worlds encountered by your spaceships, act like far away city states. These alien worlds would give you quests you could try to complete to win their favor. For instance, joining an interstellar war against one of their enemies. With victory over their enemy comes allied status with that world, bringing you one step closer to a space diplo victory. All three of these would be challenging and take some time. Or they could be balanced to be interesting, but not take too much time to complete. We want to keep the game fun, not too lengthy and monotonous. Most people do like to try out different civs and play a number of games in a certain period of time.

Or they could simply keep the future era victory condition with just one, trying to build the most advanced space colony, or just sending 'x number of colonists, before anyone else. That would be less complicated.

What about building a lunar colony? For a VC for the future era?

Top Bottom