New Era?

Before a 'Future Era' - which I'm indifferent to - I'd like to see the 'Modern Era' explored more deeply. They're doing something in that sense by adding WWI and WWII units, but I'd like see more 'Contemporary' Techs, Units, Buildings and Wonders. Internet is a noteworthy absence, but there are plenty of ideas out there (Telecommunications, Tourism, Airports, Shopping Malls/Supermarkets etc.).

Before a 'Future Era' - which I'm indifferent to - I'd like to see the 'Modern Era' explored more deeply. They're doing something in that sense by adding WWI and WWII units, but I'd like see more 'Contemporary' Techs, Units, Buildings and Wonders. Internet is a noteworthy absence, but there are plenty of ideas out there (Telecommunications, Tourism, Airports, Shopping Malls/Supermarkets etc.).

While I agree, they would need to come up with a way to ensure that people actually research those techs, I find myself often bee-lining techs for the victory, for example, I beeline and focus on getting GDR without getting Ecology, Plastics and Penicillin, and when I go for Diplomatic Victory, I ignore pretty much all of the modern era the same, and same with Science Victory.

Methinks one of those mystery modern buildings seen in one of the shots might be a supermarket. It'll be nice to have an additional gold generator after stock exchanges.

Also yeah, airports should be worked in this game. This is how you stop massive insta-stackage of bombers/stealth bombers/nukes (instead of airports, you have to build silos to base Nuclear Missiles and Guided Missiels).

Why don't they just use the periodisation system established in the science of history:

Classical Antiquity (800 B.C. - 600 A.D.)
Middle Ages (600 A.D. - 1500 A.D.)
  • Early Middle Ages (600 A.D. - 1000 A.D.)
  • High Middle Ages (1000 A.D. - 1250 A.D.)
  • Late Middle Ages (1250 A.D. - 1500 A.D.)
Modern Era (1500 A.D. - today)
  • Early Modern Era (1500 A.D. - 1789 A.D.)
  • Late Modern Era (1789 A.D. - 1918 A.D.)
  • Contemporary Era (1918 A.D. - today)

Of course, this periodisation system also is quite subjective and criticisable, however, as I've said, well-established.

Why don't they just use the periodisation system established in the science of history:

Of course, this periodisation system also is quite subjective and criticisable, however, as I've said, well-established.

because those are just dates, and only dates for 'real history', not an ingame history of when civs changed 'eras' - which is almost never along the historical lines.

There are many different periodisations, and the one you learn depends on where you have studied (I, for one, have learnt another one), so I'm not sure if you can say that this periodisation in particular is well-established.

But yeah, the eras in Civ don't depend on the global scene (end of the Middle Ages between 1453 [fall of Constantinople] and 1492 [discovery of America], for example), but rather on local level of technological advancement, where the definition of technological advancement is very loose (including things such as globalization or philosophy as techs...).

Because these are only valid for Western history. Also, history isn't a science.

Top Bottom