New Exploit?

There is still a vote going on in the Rules Amendment thread, have some teams forgotten about it?

Hmm, I kind of thought we'd already made the decision to ignore negative events... maybe that was on a different game.
That's what I thought but I wasn't sure. And I wasn't sure how to 'ignore' the event without crashing the game.

If this is all clear and decided can we updates the rules and spell out a 'safe' way to ignore negative events?

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure. And I wasn't sure how to 'ignore' the event without crashing the game.

If this is all clear and decided can we updates the rules and spell out a 'safe' way to ignore negative events?

Well see that is a catch 22. there is no 100% "safe way" to exit the game since choosing to ignore random events isn't really part of the initial game mechanics.

But to do it:

1. Player enters turn, sees Random Event that could hamr thier civ
2. Player disconnects the game by force
  • unplug your internet
  • turn off your computer
  • alt-tab and kill the game
  • etc.
3. Player reconnects to the game and the RE is gone.

Note as with any "bad" disconect there is a chance the server will go down.

Here's a question for DaveShack (and other people who have hosted games). Is it possible to turn off events in the pitboss loader?

I think, Pitbos is like very C4-Game. You can turn off in the beginning of the game (the majority wants events), now you 've to fiddle with the save, that is not so nice.

Yeah, if we would have to ask an admin to fiddle with the save, I don't think it is a realistic option. Oh well.

Well see that is a catch 22. there is no 100% "safe way" to exit the game since choosing to ignore random events isn't really part of the initial game mechanics.

But to do it:

1. Player enters turn, sees Random Event that could hamr thier civ
2. Player disconnects the game by force
  • unplug your internet
  • turn off your computer
  • alt-tab and kill the game
  • etc.
3. Player reconnects to the game and the RE is gone.

Note as with any "bad" disconect there is a chance the server will go down.

Oh well, I guess we're just going to have to live with that risk then. If game crashes we have to reload, but at least there is a good chance it won't crash. So a reload won't be needed.

Can we sticky some kind of policy for this somewhere visible along with Memphus's points above? I for one wasn't clear on what had been agreed on this, sorry if this has caused a delay waiting for a reload, but I thought it best to ask for clarification in case I crashed the game.

The way I see it is if you crash the game you crach the game...we ask for a reload. From what I have seen and read about thsi had about a 2% chance.

What is interesting is you have had the game running for like 9 hours now :) ;)

The way I see it is if you crash the game you crach the game...we ask for a reload. From what I have seen and read about thsi had about a 2% chance.

What is interesting is you have had the game running for like 9 hours now :) ;)

Ok, 2% isn't so bad, I'm new to pitboss so I didn't know.

Not quite sure what you mean by the 2nd point...?

Dave, can you please reload then from cav scout's last login. The RE happened after we'd ended turn.

Not quite sure what you mean by the 2nd point...?

Dave, can you please reload then from cav scout's last login. The RE happened after we'd ended turn.

Interesting those go hand in hand.

My point was I thought you guys opened the save and saw the (presuambly negative ;) ) Random Event.

you then didn't do anything and this disucssion started.

What I didn't know is that the Random Event Can show up after you end your turn, that is news to me. And very interesting.

Look at our score on civstats and you can guess what happened...

Ok so here is some more interesting information...which i don't know if a reload at this point will solve....and yes but that also could of been from a legitimate :whipped: ;)

Spoiler for the Random Event, only open if you want to know what it was.
Spoiler :

Only you guys can aswer this but did the option for the slave revolt come up? (meaning :mad: choice, :gold: choice etc? or did you jsut get notification of it?

Because if the choice wasn't present then I don't think you can "kill" that Random event by exiting the game until your next turn. But I may be wrong?

It is definetly worth reloading now to find out, but you may have to be on your toes at the begging of the next turn.

Personal opinion spoiler on this Random Event.
Spoiler :
While this is a random event it isn't entirely. The team chose to switch to Salvery at the time when this exploit wasn't known and thus took the chance a slave revolt could happen. Other teams may have chosen not to switch as the chance of this very event happening was far worse then the potential benefit. Other Random Events, you have no initial choice over

I would have to agree with Memphus's final point on this one. We ALL KNOW that slave revolts are possible in BTS once you CHOOSE to run the slavery civic.

I would personally like this action to stay a part of the game....it was intended to balance the slavery civic a bit...and it works!

You still have the point that this can easily be avoided if a team wants to. And you have 3 choices to make, which may involve team discussion, coming back to the original problem.

I could have just gone ahead and tried to quite out of the game but I wanted to get clarification on the rule (it's been discussed, but nothing 'official' has been decided) and also wanted to check I wasn't going to screw up the game.

If we are going to decide no to negative random events then we can't then start breaking down which negative random events we are going to ignore as many negative (and positive) events depend on in-game factors. And how can it be enforced anyway?

and yes but that also could of been from a legitimate whipping
the whip would have happened before ending turn though.

I think it should be that if we can turn off any negative event, we can kill them all -- do we really want to go through the whole list and try to come to an agreement on which ones might qualify as "you were asking for it" and which ones do not? Because a similar argument could be made about many of them.

I could have just gone ahead and tried to quite out of the game but I wanted to get clarification on the rule (it's been discussed, but nothing 'official' has been decided) and also wanted to check I wasn't going to screw up the game.
If you stayed logged in, why not have just waited until you heard a reply here before you decided what to do?

I guess it can take a while to get answers on the forums sometimes...

If you stayed logged in, why not have just waited until you heard a reply here before you decided what to do?

I guess it can take a while to get answers on the forums sometimes...
I had to head off to work. Hmm perhaps I could have done a sickie :mischief:

I agree with what Renata said. One of the reasons we voted to allow cancelling bad events, or even why it was brought up in the first place, was that it would be impossible to police whether someone quit out from them or not. It's just as easy to quit from a slave revolt as from a bad event without a choice. The rule should go for all events, you can cancel any you like - even the good ones if you find them cheesy. ;)

Personal opinion spoiler on this Random Event.
Spoiler :
While this is a random event it isn't entirely. The team chose to switch to Salvery at the time when this exploit wasn't known and thus took the chance a slave revolt could happen. Other teams may have chosen not to switch as the chance of this very event happening was far worse then the potential benefit. Other Random Events, you have no initial choice over

This is a nice one :lol:

making it up as we go :goodjob:

I did not hear anyone say before, all civic related events are not allowed to be dropped!

Top Bottom