New NESes, ideas, development, etc

I want to know more of Cedros :p

I always get too attached to the things I create in NESing (ask North King ;) )

Well if I do start this NES I will reveal how the players treat Cedros and more as the NES progresses.

However, the other NES' are still appealing to me...

And now I am really curious as to what happened to crazy Epi after he burnt down Aros :p

Well if I do start this NES I will reveal how the players treat Cedros and more as the NES progresses.

However, the other NES' are still appealing to me...

Unfortunately, nobody else likes them. :p

Nah, the others sound good too. I'd like to see you elaborate on Idea #3 a little bit.

Noted and changed!

I see that your auto-correct took some liberty with the word "misotheist."

I know because mine tried to write it as "musky duct" or something.

I noticed it as well Starlife, though I couldn't find the name in the members list. This mystery poster is a different one to the previous mystery poster. The question is why are new members randomly commenting in the NES development thread?

That would be because the lurkers are coming out of their hideyhole to impale us as we walk by.

That would be because the lurkers are coming out of their hideyhole to impale us as we walk by.

I lurked civ III stories and tales for a year, before I made an account and half year after that (did not post anything). I lurked NESing for 6 months before joining my first NES (abaddons island-tribes Jeje NES with horrible name)

Thanks, das - I have said I like #2.

Shush, you. ;) I noticed that (as well as the others). However, I was lying.

And yes, that was certainly an interesting thing. Nipped in the bud by one of the mods, though.

I lurked civ III stories and tales for a year, before I made an account and half year after that (did not post anything). I lurked NESing for 6 months before joining my first NES (abaddons island-tribes Jeje NES with horrible name)

I did something similar! I lurked the CIV NES forums (I've never actually been in any of the other forums unless I'm downloading a mod) for about a year and a half. Registered in 2009, disappeared for a bit, came back in 2010, disappeared for a bit, then came back in 2011.

Did the exact same thing; lurked Civ3 stories for about 8 months before making an account, and then lurked NESing for 3 months before joining Harlequin's NES in 2006.

See. I'm not crazy. WTH.

I'm not sure, but he's Canadian so that probably explains it.

PossiblNES: CRUSH THE PUNY HOOMANS

Concept
As I have mentioned before, players are warlords of the One Empire, an [Orcish?Minotaur?Trollish?Some Other Creature? Up for suggestions] union of the once warring tribes of the west. Led by Queen Olgbi Many Flame and the mysterious Prophet the warlords have been tasked with expanding the One Empire into the east--the land of men and other squishy beings. Warfare will be the primary mode for this NES--every other update should promise one or two grand battles, little skirmishes should fill out the rest. Though the players begin beholden to the will of the Queen and Prophet there may come a time when they wish to forge their own kingdoms and challenge the One Empire.

How Does It Play Out?

Tribute, Conscripts, and the Queen's Tithe

Turns begin with three things: tribute is given to players by conquered settlements, conscripts are mustered from either the off-screen One Empire or from conquered lands, and the Queen is sent back a portion of the player's plunder as a show of loyalty. Settlements come in three styles: Martial, Mercantile, and Monotheistic. There are only three to represent how the bestial warlords view the otherwise cultured eastlings. The tribute of all three settlements is determined by their base 'prosperity', a rather temperamental stat that is influenced by the war, the decisions made by the player, and miscellaneous outside factors. Each city yields conscripts for the war effort each turn and the rate of conscripts drawn may be determined by the player. Higher rates can lead to a huge army for the player, but a potential revolt. Lower rates may pacify a settlement, but it may also lead to the settlement swelling with silly young men who wish to challenge the player's might. But let me not ramble on through a walloftext. Instead, here's a sample 'Settlement' stat!

City Name: Vinerum
City Allegiance: Kingdom of Sal
City Type: Mercantile-Coastal
City Size: Metropolis (160 EP)
Prosperity: 100% (160 EP available)
UU: None
Defenses: High Walls, Castle, Veteran Guard
Plunder: 300 EP
Tribute Rate: Unconquered
Conscript Rate: Unconquered

Initially a settlement will be tied to some kingdom (or it may be a city-state in of itself), and attacking that settlement will likely draw the ire of its kingdom. Players should keep in mind that though a certain settlement may seem like a lucrative target, it can fast become a quagmire if the kingdom as a whole is strong. More on kingdoms later, though. They are a section all unto themselves.

The city's size determines the limits its tribute and conscript rate can reach and ranges from: Village-Town-Large Town-City-Metropolis-*Capital* (Capitals are special). Villages have a limit of 10 Economic Points (an abstract measurement of wealth, henceforth called EP--I am open to suggestions for other names for this, though), Towns 20 EP, Large Towns 40 EP, Cities 80 EP, and Metropolises 160 EP. Capitals have no upward EP limit.

Prosperity determines roughly how many EP's a settlement will yield in tribute and how many conscripts can be taken. The stat is represented in a percentage and this percentage determines how much of the city's base EP's as determined by its size are available at the moment. Upon violent conquest a city's prosperity is lowered by anywhere between 25%-50% depending on just how vicious the conquerer was. It can also be lowered through random events, geopolitical events, and poor decisions by the player. Prosperity can be regained slowly via benevolent rule by a warlord, random events such as good harvests, or even setting up a local governor in the city to allow for more independence from the player.

Each settlement, regardless of its size, has the capability to house a single UU. If a settlement has a UU then it will yield this UU in place of generic racial 'conscripts'. Obviously a settlement with a UU becomes a valuable target, though the presence of a UU guarantees that any battle will be costly. Players cannot directly create UU's, but can indirectly influence the generation/alteration of one through domestic decisions (another concept for later). UU's are detailed elsewhere.

Defenses fall under three categories: outer, inner, and troops. Outer defenses, obviously, represent things like high walls, or watchtowers to spot raids, or things of that nature. Inner defenses are things like castles (small, medium, large, colossal), labyrinth-like streets, or things of that nature. Troops is the average experience level of the garrisoned troops and/or any other special properties they may posses. For instance if a Wizard takes residence in a city the stat like may look something like this:

High Walls, Large Castle, Inexperienced Guard+Elder Mage

A settlement may have two of each category of defense and it always follows the order Outer/Inner/Troop. Defense types will be listed in detail elsewhere.

Plunder is generally the city's potential tribute X2. Other factors may influence it.

Tribute rate is represented by percentages that can be adjusted by players at will. Tribute generated follows this simple equation (BV*PR)TR. BV being the base potential value of EP's earned per turn, PR the prosperity percentage, and TR the take rate. So, if some warlord were to conquer Vinerum and set a tax rate of 40% the equation would be:

(160*1).4=64

In total the warlord in question earns 64 EP every turn in tribute.

Conscript rate takes on a vague description of either Low-Medium-High and its yields are highly circumstantial.

And that's cities in this NES! I'll go on to detail personal stats in a bit and then the stats of armies.

Also interesting. For this one, why not make your own unique race instead of using orc, troll, minotaur, etc.?

But truth be told, I'd probably be out with this option. Warfare-only NESes simply don't interest me, which is why I have also avoided the new Warhammer NES. Too board-game-y in my honest opinion. :sad:

As a natural builder, I am such a minority here, though. So don't listen to me (colonization cough cough).

Also interesting. For this one, why not make your own unique race instead of using orc, troll, minotaur, etc.?

But truth be told, I'd probably be out with this option. Warfare-only NESes simply don't interest me, which is why I have also avoided the new Warhammer NES. Too board-game-y in my honest opinion. :sad:

As a natural builder, I am such a minority here, though. So don't listen to me (colonization cough cough).

Heh, I'm a builder myself. To date I don't think I've ever tried any other strategy in a game that permits me building up my glorious empire! Perhaps I am overstating the importance of war in this NES. War is the staple, yes, and you'll be ordering around troops, yes, but there is still a great deal involved with domestics... WHICH LEADS ME TO PERSONAL STATS AND THE ONE EMPIRE

Personal Stats

To the warlords only three things matter: Reverence, Renown, and Right-to-Rule. Reverence is a warlord's respect for the old powers present in the One Empire: the Queen and Prophet. Follow their directives and a warlord's reverence will increase, work counter to the wishes of the Queen and Prophet and reverence will decrease. Seems simple, doesn't it? Reverence, however, can also be gained through adhering to The Warpath, the ancient creed of the player's people.

The Warpath are a set of five rules that have been passed down for hundreds of generations and has never gone out of favor. Perhaps this is because they are just vague enough to be universal across all eras.

I. The Warrior is first The Beggar. The man who asks without need behind his words is the worst man; the man who asks only when necessary is the worthy man.
II. The Warrior is second the Servant. The man who serves only himself is the worst man; the man who serves those higher is the worthy man.
III. The Warrior is third the Peasant. The man who shrouds himself thinks himself higher than all is the worst man; the man who thinks himself nothing is the worthy man.
IV. The Warrior is fourth the Son. The man with no family is the worst man; the man strengthened by his blood is the worthy man.
V. The Warrior is last the Warrior. The man who does not hone himself is the worst man; the man who tempers himself as he tempers his blade is the worthy man.

So should a warlord consistently demonstrate that he (or she) adheres to these codes than they may generate Reverence independent of the Queen and Prophet. This, of course, puts the leaders of the One Empire in an uncomfortable place. Reverence can be also been seen as a kind of currency, players may expend a little bit of it to acquire gifts of EP, units, artifacts, gallants, and even preferential choice of missions. Spending Reverence causes a player to seem a little bit weaker in the eyes of others, causing them to lose some of their Right-to-Rule, but Reverence earned independent of the One Empire can increase a warlord's Right-to-Rule and still be used to cash in one gifts from the homeland! Right-to-Rule gained via Reverence gained by following The Warpath is always higher than the Right-to-Rule lost via gifts from the homeland. Of course the gifts are given begrudgingly and the Queen and Prophet may begin to see the warlord as a threat.

Renown is a warlord's reputation and comes in two flavors: deeds and misdeeds. Both deeds and misdeeds count towards the warlord's lump sum of Renown, but a warrior who is known for +50 misdeeds will be seen as a tyrant despite his +20 deeds. Of course a warlord can straddle the line and try to balance out their deeds and misdeeds, but there are few 'neutral' factions in the world and more benefits can be earned by picking a side. Renown cannot be spent directly like Reverence can, but it can indirectly attract allies to the warlord's cause.

Last is Right-to-Rule. It is gained in all manners of ways ranging from conquering cities, signing treaties, beating insurmountable odds, etc--but all of these actions must be down independent of the wishes of the Queen and Prophet. You have to poke the bear to gain Right-to-Rule. Right-to-Rule determines how likely a warlord can expect people to flock to their banner if they decide to go independent. Furthermore, it determines the likelihood of a revolt in a conquered settlement. So a warlord has to go against the wishes of the Queen and Prophet if they wish to rapidly expand their influence.

Or a warlord can pick and choose their targets and keep a small, efficient realm and still stay in the good graces of the Queen and Prophet.

Now, you may be asking--how can a builder or someone not oriented towards warwarwar play this NES? Yes, I encourage players to expand and form their own mighty kingdoms, but I also want to allow for players to build up a formidable realm without blood being shed unnecessarily (see: The Warpath, I). To this end the One Empire plays an important role.

Queen and Prophet

Though the One Empire remains off-screen, its shadow looms large over the NES. As mentioned above the Queen and Prophet can be pandered to in exchange for rewards, but even if a player is going the route of rebellion that player must complete the tasks given to them by the One Empire until they have successfully established themselves as independents.

Each player is generally assigned 1 to 2 missions at a time and these missions must be completed at some point. The Queen and Prophet understand that their warlords are unruly beings, and thus allow them some measure of agency, but all players definitely are kept on a leash. How long that leash happens to be is determined by the player's actions and how much of a threat they are perceived to be. A player seen as a potential rebel may be assigned a suicidal task in the hopes that the player expunges all their supplies on that mission. Should the player outright ignore missions they garner the ire of the Queen and Prophet and risk being branded as traitors. If branded a traitor the player can be freely attacked by other players, and in fact are encouraged to because the Queen and Prophet will provide resources to the player who declares war on the traitor-player.

But how does any of this lead to a builder-style of gameplay? As mentioned above expanding too much will ultimately cause the Queen and Prophet to brand the player a traitor, so those players who choose to concentrate on a smaller realm will be backed by the One Empire. A player can care a bit less for war and more so for the development of a city because they will regularly receive troops and EP's for their loyalty and (seeming) lack of ambition.

EDIT:

Also, if I do this NES I am thinking I will have the map be akin to the 'web' maps in Blight of the Immortals. I'll definitely be altering it, for instance getting rid of continuous lines and implementing blocks between settlements (i.e. it will be 3 'blocks from X to Y), but I really like the 'web' idea because it can allow for a slightly more strategic game. Also also that way I can make the map as pretty as I want without having to worry about sacrificing playability for the aesthetics!

Spoiler :

EDIT EDIT:

I can go onto the NES idea #2 if people would like or I can continue to explain this PossiblNES.

I do wonder what is behind door number 2 now.

Yeah I'm curious about anything involving colonization. Can I go Dances-With-Wolves/Terrance Malick's 'The New World'/Avatar Crappy Movie/whatever else, and have someone in my colony get cozy with a native woman? :D

Seriously, though, the idea of building up a colony or having some sort of 'trading company' is awesome. No idea if that's what you have in mind though, so you should elaborate!

I've hit a snag! I do not quite know how to best represent a colony's infrastructure/income. I'll post the section on Personal Portrait though while I mull it over (I'd appreciate anyone who points me to a NES with a good income/infrastructure model!)

PossiblNES: Beyond Blackgate

Concept

I've decided that this will be a SpaceNES because that gives me some lee-way in inventing new and terrible things to kill the players with. Also it lets me include such things as advanced medicines, lasers (woop!), and so on so forth. Basically, players take on the role of parties interested in further colonizing the newly discovered world of Sutaat-Amenis (SOO-tat ah-MEN-es) II. There is a single Imperial colony present, but the Emperor has opened the planet up to private individuals so long as they purchase a Settlement Charter. Players will guide their colony and expand their interests on the new world of Sutaat-Amenis II--who knows what awaits them!

Personal Portrait

Colonies are an important stat in this NES, but arguably the personal portrait bears more weight due to the nature of the Celahse (kel-AH-se) and the Eternal State. Reputation goes a long way in the Eternal State and a prosperous colony may mean nothing if its proprietor(s) does not know the right people. To that end there are two primary personal stats: Favor and Perceived Wealth.

Favor can be split into many more categories. At the beginning there are six different favors: Parah, Gilded Circle, Cult of the Eternal Parah, Covenant of the Daughter, Viceroy of the East, Viceroy of the West. Most of these factions fall under 'Bureaucracy', 'Religious', 'Nobility', 'Mercantile', 'Criminal', or 'Native' so as to give players a general sense of the faction's leanings. Players will only receive scores for factions that they have positive or negative scores for. Any faction that is not listed in a player's Personal Portrait can be considered neutral (though they may not be!)

What is the importance of these various factions? Well, for one a player cannot expect to thrive by themselves (well, a few can, but they will have to go a rather spartan route to achieve it). Trade in this NES means sending raw goods back to the homeworld Nebar (ni-BAR), and while players can send goods back to the general market it is much more lucrative to enter private contracts. Furthermore, players will have upstart colonies so few things will come easy to them. Initially military and infrastructure depends on importing from some homeworld benefactor. Sure, players can hire mercenaries and purchase construction kits from the general market, but it will not be cheap!

Perceived Wealth in of itself can attract factions to the player. When a homeworld (and perhaps other) faction looks for prospects on Sotaat-Amenis they will first look at the player's perceived wealth. Players cultivate their perceived wealth by successfully exporting goods, signing lucrative contracts, expanding their colonies, gaining favor with mercantile and bureaucracy factions, discovering ruins/peoples/new goods, and so on so forth. The more a player does the more they begin to appear to be true captains of industry. Players are encouraged to act as much as they can, but are warned that a few disastrous results can ruin their perceived wealth for some time.

Furthermore, perceived wealth bleeds into the moral/prosperity/loyalty of colonies. People would rather follow a successful leader than an incompetent one! Perceived wealth can also attract refugees/colonists to a player's colony overtime. Perceived wealth combined with high favors in certain factions can even see the players earn some sort of title that confers extra privileges! These titles will be detailed at request.

Each player begins with a certain background that roughly details their past life on Nebar and why they are on the new planet. Backgrounds also come with a certain bonus/starting package. I'll detail some backgrounds later because for now I need to talk about...

Colonies
Under construction.

Top Bottom